High School Community College Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueXLavaXLamp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I screwed myself over by taking community college classes in High School. During High School I did not have the best work ethic and I took 21.0 units of CC college classes as dual enrollment (mostly spanish and some math)... I got a 3.2 GPA.

Now I am in college and I'm triple majoring in 3 sciences (Physiology, Molecular & Cellular Biology, and Microbiology) and am a sophomore and have a 4.0 GPA; after this semester I will probably still have a 4.0, which is after 52 units of college credit (15 first freshman semester, 19 2nd freshman sem. and 18 this semester). The classes I take are pretty challenging, including a graduate course next semester.

My question is, do the AMCAS absolutely have to have my grades from CC? From what I understand my school does not include the grades I got from CC on my transcript and only that I got the credit.

If they DO give the grades to the medical schools that I apply to, how much do you think this will hurt me? I always believed in second chances but my performance in high school seems to come back to haunt me many times (things like the Goldwater scholarship etc...). Do they calculate it in my overall GPA? That would bring my GPA down from a 4.0 to a 3.77 after this semester....

Let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I think I screwed myself over by taking community college classes in High School. During High School I did not have the best work ethic and I took 21.0 units of CC college classes as dual enrollment (mostly spanish and some math)... I got a 3.2 GPA.

Now I am in college and I'm triple majoring in 3 sciences (Physiology, Molecular & Cellular Biology, and Microbiology) and am a sophomore and have a 4.0 GPA; after this semester I will probably still have a 4.0, which is after 52 units of college credit (15 first freshman semester, 19 2nd freshman sem. and 18 this semester). The classes I take are pretty challenging, including a graduate course next semester.

My question is, do the AMCAS absolutely have to have my grades from CC? From what I understand my school does not include the grades I got from CC on my transcript and only that I got the credit.

If they DO give the grades to the medical schools that I apply to, how much do you think this will hurt me? I always believed in second chances but my performance in high school seems to come back to haunt me many times (things like the Goldwater scholarship etc...). Do they calculate it in my overall GPA? That would bring my GPA down from a 4.0 to a 3.77 after this semester....

Let me know!

I refer you to bleargh's avatar. Yes is the answer. Please search before posting and don't ask stupid questions. (Yes, despite what your 3rd-grade teacher may have told you, there are stupid questions.)

A 3.77 won't hurt you for med school admissions, btw. So don't sweat it, but do worry about dumb questions! j/k... sorta.

Last edited:
I refer you to bleargh's avatar. Yes is the answer. Please search before posting and don't ask stupid questions. (Yes, despite what your 3rd-grade teacher may have told you, there are stupid questions.)

A 3.77 won't hurt you for med school admissions, btw. So don't sweat it, but do worry about dumb questions! j/k... sorta.

You think a 4.0 and a 3.77 is the same thing when it comes school admissions?

Of course a 3.77 will hurt an applicant who otherwise would have had a 4.0.

To the OP: I also have high school CC credit that might bring me down a bit, but they see this GPA separately from your college GPA. Of course they'll put more weight on your junior/sophomore years than your freshman/high school years.

Members don't see this ad :)

To the OP: I also have high school CC credit that might bring me down a bit, but they see this GPA separately from your college GPA. Of course they'll put more weight on your junior/sophomore years than your freshman/high school years.

That's great news, thanks! So they see the CC GPA as one GPA then my University GPA as a separate GPA? Do they add cumulatively? (from 4.0->3.77)

Of course it's not going to help, but at that point the difference is somewhat negligible, esp. if the OP brings it up a bit (by continuing to do well). Above the 3.8 line (which presumably the OP will surpass by graduation), your MCAT score becomes far more important than your GPA. The difference between a 3.8 and a 4.0 is significant but not worth getting worked up over.Please reread my post. I did not say a 3.8 was as good as a 4.0. I said it will not hurt the OP for med school admissions -- other things are far more important at that point.

That's great news, thanks! So they see the CC GPA as one GPA then my University GPA as a separate GPA? Do they add cumulatively? (from 4.0->3.77)

They see them together (although courses are marked by school). What they see separated are timelines (i.e., each set of courses by when you took it so they can look for trends). Yes, they will see your GPA as a cumulative number as well as per-semester.