High School grades are bringing down AMCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigsinacloth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so basically when I was an immature high school kid I took honors courses that also counted as duel enrollment courses with my local university. I did not do very well in these courses, but because of the way that my college inputs credit hours it looks even worse. For example, I technically took 16 college credits in high school over 2 years and over 4 years of college I took just under 40. Am I going to get screened out hard because of this? and will schools really look at these grades that I clearly got in high school?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so basically when I was an immature high school kid I took honors courses that also counted as duel enrollment courses with my local university. I did not do very well in these courses, but because of the way that my college inputs credit hours it looks even worse. For example, I technically took 16 college credits in high school over 2 years and over 4 years of college I took just under 40. Am I going to get screened out hard because of this? and will schools really look at these grades that I clearly got in high school?
They do look at grades year by year and will make note of an upward trend. If the classes were dual enrollment they will be included in your GPA calculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Was your 4 year college 1 credit per class? If so, when you input those classes into AMCAS, you will need to convert them to credit hours (an example conversion in this case is 1 university specific credit = 4 credit hours, but your college will be able to give you a conversion). This should help minimize the impact of those old credits on your GPA, but to wysdoc's point they will be included.