High School Senior Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StoneBoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a high school senior looking towards a future career in medicine, and I decided that one of my options will be going through the military. I applied for a Navy ROTC scholarship, and I was wondering if anyone in here has tried the same route towards becoming an M.D.? Also, how does the navy scholarship towards medical schools actually work? And can anyone give me an estimate of how many years you have to be in with the navy if you do get the NROTC scholarship for undergraduate and medical school, and what type of places and things you had to do? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a high school senior looking towards a future career in medicine, and I decided that one of my options will be going through the military. I applied for a Navy ROTC scholarship, and I was wondering if anyone in here has tried the same route towards becoming an M.D.? Also, how does the navy scholarship towards medical schools actually work? And can anyone give me an estimate of how many years you have to be in with the navy if you do get the NROTC scholarship for undergraduate and medical school, and what type of places and things you had to do? Thanks for the help.

Yes, there are quite a few who go the ROTC to MD/DO route. Every year 20 ROTC are permitted to go on to medical school via HPSP/USUHS. These slots have not been completely filled for the past several years. Yes, the scholarship does actually work. You receive full tuition, fees, required books and equipment along with $1300ish per month stipend. 80% of the Navy's docs enter through HPSP. As far as payback. You would owe 4 years of non-training time for ROTC and 4 years for HPSP. If you go to USUHS(the military med school) you would owe 7 years, but you are paid full active duty benefits as an Ensign (O-1). Depending on the residency you choose, you would most likely spend 11-15 years going this route.