High School Student in Persuit of Pharmacy Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuccessThomas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a Junior in High School. And I had a few(ALOT) of questions that I need answering and help on for my future.

As most know, the college applications are due in senior year and there is little time left till then. I have decided that I would like to become a pharmacist because of my performance in Science and math classes, I see my decision as fit.

I have done a little research about becoming a pharmacist but still there are some questions lingering in my mind.

1) What is the the best pharmacist program? the 6+0 year, dual diploma PharmD/MBA or taking the traditional 8 years?

2) Exactly what requirements do I need to join pharmacy school?

-Currently I have unweighted of 3.46 and weighted of 4.1. (In IB program)
-I have taken number of science classes and by the end of high school my science courses would look something like this (3years of biology(2years in HL and one for pre-IB), 2years of Chemistry, anatomy and physiology and physics)
-I haven't yet given the SAT, but according to practice tests I can score around 2000 solidly.

3) What are some of the best pharmacy schools out there? I would like something near Delware. So Maryland, Penn, North Carolina, Virgina are states that I have choose from.

4) Can I get around how much tuition I need to pay to the end of PharmD? And will the salary I get from work in retail stores able to pay for that?

5) Money is a factore for everything. So I was wondering is the 100K salary that most sites state true?

I will appreciate anyone putting their time and answering some or all my questions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) What is the the best pharmacist program? the 6+0 year, dual diploma PharmD/MBA or taking the traditional 8 years?

-Currently I have unweighted of 3.46 and weighted of 4.1. (In IB program)
-I have taken number of science classes and by the end of high school my science courses would look something like this (3years of biology(2years in HL and one for pre-IB), 2years of Chemistry, anatomy and physiology and physics)
-I haven't yet given the SAT, but according to practice tests I can score around 2000 solidly.

3) What are some of the best pharmacy schools out there? I would like something near Delware. So Maryland, Penn, North Carolina, Virgina are states that I have choose from. ( Mother limiting me to them actually -.-)

4) Can I get around how much tuition I need to pay to the end of PharmD? And will the salary I get from work in retail stores able to pay for that?

5) Money is a factore for everything:D. So I was wondering is the 100K salary that most sites state true?:rolleyes:

I will appreciate anyone putting their time and answering some or all my questions. :)

First of all the ALOT has nothing to do with this.

1) There is no best overall. You have to decide what is best for you. Go the 0-6 route if you are sure pharmacy is for you. Otherwise go the 2-4+4 route. Only get an MBA if you are sure you will utilize it.

2) Varies by school. Thankfully they do tend to overlap enough that it is not unmanageable to apply to multiple schools simultaneously. You have to do this footwork yourself. Check the individual school's websites.

3) Only UF is a good school, all others are diploma mills. Seriously, you should pick which ever school has the lowest cost of attendance (basically just pick the one with the lowest tuition - everything else you have some control over). Tour the school and if it feels "right", there you go! Your mother has little to do with this.

4) Huh? Yes you have to pay tuition. You can apply for scholarships but they are few and far between in pharmacy school in my experience. Your salary should be sufficient to cover your loans but that is up to you.

5) I refuse to discuss salary. Here is an objective measure of wages: bls.gov - it can be kinda confusing at first, but it is important that you learn how to get this kind of information for yourself. If you absolutely cannot figure it out, ask for help and I can give you the exact steps needed to get (hint) "wages by area and occupation" information.

5) Money is a factore for everything. So I was wondering is the 100K salary that most sites state true?

It is true and therefore tuition for the PharmD itself is around $100K without considering room and board nor interest.

Hello,

If I was a Jr. in HS and faced with this decision I would absolutely not do any 0-6 program. It's unrealistic to stamp your feet and say that you absolutely want to be a pharmacist just b/c your science+math grades are good without actually experiencing the field. Earning your BA or BS will give you a lot of valuable life experience and, of course, give you the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of fields. Try to choose the cheapest 4 year you get accepted to.

1 year chem, 1 year o chem, 1 year bio, then a smattering of different stuff: english, econ (some need micro), various math req's (some want calc, some don't mind Calc for LS/Business, etc), A&P, etc. They vary quite a lot and it'd behoove you to check out www.pharmcas.org to poke around @ school info. I dunno how it all shakes out with your IB stuff if you can use that to satisfy all pharmacy pre-requisites or not. Every school will vary.

3) What are some of the best pharmacy schools out there? I would like something near Delware. So Maryland, Penn, North Carolina, Virgina are states that I have choose from.

Ah, can't help you on the east coast. I'd like to throw out that the best school is one that'll keep you in the least amount of debt and allow you the finest in opportunities to intern and do residency if you so desire. You'll find that out through independent research of the schools (i.e., e-mailing or calling admissions peeps, setting up visits, etc)

You want to... not pay pharmacy tuition? or am I misreading that? TO address the second question, yes, a retail pharmacist will almost always make money sufficient to pay his/her student loans (unless student is irresponsible, which does happen)

Yes, but it varies from area to area. In lower CoL areas like BFE Nebraska, you'll see lower wages (but not by much) and in higher CoL areas (like here in the bay) you'll see higher wages (~57.50+/hr)

HTH