High School Student that wants to be a Dr. but has math trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanna B a Doc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school Junior that has been seriously considerig a career in medicine. It seems so exiting and ieresting to me, and I'm sure it's what I want to do with my life. I haven't aways done GREAT in school but have slacked off and managed a 3.0/4.0. I have been doing much better this year since I discovered what I wanted to do with my career. I don't have problems with any of my classes except math. I'm not doing terrible but I know that in college I will have to take 2 years of chemistry, which I have recently come to find out is almost all math! I was wondering how much my math problem would hurt me in becoming a doctor. I would be willing to work hard but I'm still straining for a C in ALgebra II. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ah , in high school i was happy with my g.p.a. whatever it was. i think 3.7. coulda been higher if i worked harder, but then i'd have missed out on so much. i wouldn't worry about your math skills just yet. a good grasp of BASIC algebra is all you need. you can avoid the calc based classes. i think that if you're only in high school and are worring about it already, then you'll be fine.

There's some math but I bet you could learn what you need to know. Don't worry about your high school GPA, mine was around 2.7. You need to do well in college and the MCAT. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I'm finishing my bachelors now, and have good chances at medschools. And you know which classes i had trouble with? BIO! I ended up dropping and repeating my first bio class. But, that didn't stop me.

Trouble with math is common. But, don't sweat it. That'll be a very minor hinderance. yes, there are a lot of science classes, and they do apply math. but, you'll get used to it. you'll improve. I did. If you have the determination and desire, you'll do well. That's really all it takes: Determination. Willingness to put up efforts.

You'll need to improve the GPA from 3.0. Do well once your in college.

Current suggestion: if you're putting up a lot of efforts but not getting far with your algebra, you may be approaching it the wrong way.
Can you maybe get a tutour or something. Maybe get someone to direct how you should study this stuff.

It's pretty amazing how your brain can adapt to learning different kind of stuff. Don't let trouble in algebra deter you from a medical career though.

Sonya

Just to reinforce what's already been said, math is not a major part of the whole pre-med/medical school process. You need to take pre-calculus (trigonometry) as a pre-med, but the only thing you would need to be concerned with is your grade. The admissions test that is required for medical school acceptance requires SOME knowledge of math, but it doesn't go much further than algebra. There's a little bit of trig, but it's not a big deal. Being a doctor has nothing to do with math. It has more to do with understand biology and physiology (and, of course, other intangibles like patience, etc.).

I suck at math, too, but I did relatively well on the MCAT (the test you need to take to get in to med school).

Actually, depending on where you plan to apply, you will eventaully have to take calculus. Why, I am still trying to figure out (we had our first integral in phys today, but it worked out to be a linear problem anyway). However, it is still required, at least in Texas.

As for the math in chemistry, it really is nothing more than basic algebra, provided you do not major in chemistry or biochemistry. The advice given by other members is good; get a tutor and work hard. As for your undergrad GPA, it doesn't even factor into the med school application equation (at least, it didn't at any school where I applied).

Hello, I think I can give you some words of encouragement :wink:

well... kinda

A. General Chemistry sequence is all about math, but its not hard math just simple algebra... you don't see anything like calc problems;)

B. HOWEVER... physics is a requirement for med school and that is pretty much all math (in fact some schools only offer the calculus version.

--- But here are some words of encouragement:

1. Don't worry about your GPA, med schools could careless what you got in high school... that doesnt mean to slack off (its good to get a good foundation of knowledge so your college life is easier)
2. You'll find your academic strengths + weaknesses change as you get into college (high school has a tendency to teach you in a weird.. traditional "MEMORIZE" this setting) Where as in college you learn the reasoning / logic behind theories, equations,etc. For example, I was just like you in high school and couldn't do math up the wazoo.. but here I am now a math major with a 4.0 math GPA (where as in high school I excelled in history, turned out my worst grade in college was in my first History class).. the point is, college is like a "second chance", don't waste it!!! and if you have GOOD study habits (start practicing them now! and u will prefect them in college) and dedication you can get a stellar GPA :wink:

TobTolip

Hope that helped!

I've been were you are at with wanting to be a doc, but being terrible in math. I have just had to double my efforts in college math classes to be successful. My dream school is WashU, and I need a full year of calc which most schools don't require. This one does though, so I'm just having to concentrate and plow through and beg for help on a daily basis!