High school student wanting some advice pharmacy school! (sorry it's so long) (That's what she said)

optimumstuffs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently going to be a senior this coming fall and I am interested in a career in pharmacy, but I have some questions. Firstly, is it better to go to an undergrad that has a pharmacy school? I was thinking on going to Hampton University for pre-pharmacy because I can get in with scholarship money and they have a pharmacy program with lenient pre reqs and a relatively low average gpa (and it is relatively easier than other schools, so my gpa will be higher). Also, how hard is the PCAT? The pre-pharmacy program at Hampton says that I could apply during my second year of undergrad, but taking the PCAT then seems a little soon. How much outside work do you need to apply to pharmacy school? I know that extracurricular activity in pharmacy is pretty much a requirement for pharmacy school applicants because it shows dedication and knowledge to the field, however, I am not sure what or how to do this. Is shadowing good enough or do I need to do something else? Finally, what's a good gpa for pharmacy admissions? I know it's different for every pharmacy school, but what's a solid gpa? Also, if anyone has info about Hampton pharmacy or their own pharmacy school, please do respond. Some details about me: I am from Virginia and I am Black. I would like to stay close to home, but I am willing to reach out to father places if I have to. There are two other schools in Virginia: Shenandoah School of Pharmacy (expensive and new, but is not extremely competitive and has a 3 year accelerated course) and VCU (I can get in undergrad, but I stand no chance for their SOP). I also live near Howard University and University of Maryland. If anyone has any input about any of the schools I listed or any input about their own pre-pharmacy experiences, please do tell me!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm currently going to be a senior this coming fall and I am interested in a career in pharmacy, but I have some questions. Firstly, is it better to go to an undergrad that has a pharmacy school? I was thinking on going to Hampton University for pre-pharmacy because I can get in with scholarship money and they have a pharmacy program with lenient pre reqs and a relatively low average gpa (and it is relatively easier than other schools, so my gpa will be higher). Also, how hard is the PCAT? The pre-pharmacy program at Hampton says that I could apply during my second year of undergrad, but taking the PCAT then seems a little soon. How much outside work do you need to apply to pharmacy school? I know that extracurricular activity in pharmacy is pretty much a requirement for pharmacy school applicants because it shows dedication and knowledge to the field, however, I am not sure what or how to do this. Is shadowing good enough or do I need to do something else? Finally, what's a good gpa for pharmacy admissions? I know it's different for every pharmacy school, but what's a solid gpa? Also, if anyone has info about Hampton pharmacy or their own pharmacy school, please do respond. Some details about me: I am from Virginia and I am Black. I would like to stay close to home, but I am willing to reach out to father places if I have to. There are two other schools in Virginia: Shenandoah School of Pharmacy (expensive and new, but is not extremely competitive and has a 3 year accelerated course) and VCU (I can get in undergrad, but I stand no chance for their SOP). I also live near Howard University and University of Maryland. If anyone has any input about any of the schools I listed or any input about their own pre-pharmacy experiences, please do tell me!!!!!
Judging by the title of this thread, your first step should be to grow up before trying to make any career decisions that responsible adults should be making.

Why would she even apologize for your genital being too long? That doesn't make sense :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging by the title of this thread, your first step should be to grow up before trying to make any career decisions that responsible adults should be making.
That's what she said.

Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
Have you shadowed a pharmacist?

Judging by your title, I'm guessing you haven't shadowed one. Act mature, look into opportunities of shadowing one first.
Lots of people want to become doctors, they don't realize that doctors do an immense amount of paperwork.
Many people could do other things than becoming a doctor to make them happy.
Many people flunk out of pharmacist school because the pharmacology is extremely difficult for most students.

Just a few examples. A pharmacist won't be easy, you sound extremely young too. I'd recommend researching all kinds of jobs before choosing this one.

I don't know if you're going to actually come back and read any of this, but most of your questions can be answered by looking at the average stats for an accepted pharmacy student. Also don't grow up too fast. Being a kid is hella fun, I still do it all the time :)

Reactions: 1 users