High School student with some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamerBoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone...this is my first post here. I was just curious about a few things. At the moment, I am a Junior in High School, but Neurology/Neurosurgery is a field I'm interested in. I do pretty well in school so far; I'm a year ahead of most kids, and will be taking Calculus II in my senior year of high school. I'll also have Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Calc-based Physics, Phys&Anat (all Honors), and AP Biology under my belt after I graduate. English is pretty much my only weak spot, but it's not that bad...I got a B in AP English.. (which I'll have 2 years of after I graduate) On top of all this, I'm currently taking a CNA Certification course (I figure it'll look good on my college app, and I plan to get a nice job with it too)

I also live in Wisconsin, and plan to apply Early Decision to the University of Wisonsin-Madison, and if I'm accepted, I'll try and get into their Medical Scholars Program, read more about it here:

http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/med_scholars/index.php

It's pretty selective, but if I don't make it...it's no biggie I don't think. I'm also a minority. (Pakistani-American)

Allright, that's a quick rundown of my background, so now I have some questions for you guys.

1) Do you see nanotech and neurosurgery coming together in the future? Would it be wise to perhaps study nanotechnology in college?

2) What have you guys heard about UW-Madison? Is their Grad Neuroprogram a good one?

3) What grad programs do you think I could make with a Bachelor's from Madison?

4) Any suggestions or questions you guys have for me?

This is all very appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from WI, and went to UW-Madison, so I know a thing or two about what you're asking. I'm now in med. school down in Chicago.

First of all, (and what everyone else is thinking), you've got a long way to go in your education yet, don't get your heart set on one particular field.

1) Do you see nanotech and neurosurgery coming together in the future? Would it be wise to perhaps study nanotechnology in college?

Study whatever you want in college. We have people in med. school who were theater majors, english majors, and plenty others. Many are biology/science majors. Medical schools just want you to complete their prereq classes and be well-rounded individuals. If nanotech interests you, then by all means study it! However, also be warned that the average undergrad changes their mind 5 times about their major. It happens. Find something you enjoy and study that.

2) What have you guys heard about UW-Madison? Is their Grad Neuroprogram a good one?

UW-Madison is now officially the institution with the highest NIH money (not including classified research thru the military). Their neuro program is one of the best in the country, period. I would know, I was an undergrad neuro major. However, be prepared to do research, it's highly pushed on you.

Any in the world that you want.

Medscholars is a competitive program, however if you get accepted you MUST enter UW-Madison med. school. You do not have to take the MCAT. Obviously, the thought of having a guaranteed acceptance and no MCAT is huge. However, also think about if medicine is what you really want. Personally, I think the program is horrible. No high schooler knows if medicine is for them. Think about the PhD route...it sounds like that might be an interest of yours.

The Early Acceptance program isn't for everyone, and it's certainly not something you need to worry about right now.

Want my advice?

1) Go volunteer at a hospital, talk to the doctors and get to know them. See if you can picture yourself working with them
2) If nanotech is really an interest of yours, call the department at the UW, and an advisor will be happy to show you around and discuss your options with you.
3) If you really want to do the medscholars program, read their website and become very familiar with the program. Realize that the odds are low that you will be accepted.
4) Relax, make decisions when needed. It never hurts to look ahead and have high ambitions, but don't miss out on the fun stuff in life either.
5) Don't be afraid or disappointed if you change your mind. Things happen, you take a class and find out you love a different field, etc. Be open minded!

I hear what you're saying. Perhaps I'll apply to the program, but I won't be crushed if I don't get in...always look on the bright side.

I think that I'll take a tour of the campus and ask any nanotech questions I may have...and I'm sure when I get to college, I'll have a wider perspective on what truly fascinates me. Thanks again, your post was very helpful and informative. Anyone else have an opinion they want to share with me? :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to not focus on a single program. If you end up wishing to go the MD-PhD route then apply to many programs, e.g. University of Washington (where nannotechnology is being worked on as well). As was pointed out, your chances of getting into that one program at U-Wiscosin will be low. This may or may not be true (it all depends on you, quite frankly). However, the more programs you try for the better your overall experience will be, imho.

First, don't limit yourself to the University of Wisconsin when it comes to your application to an undergraduate institution. Apply to other schools and see what happens. Here is a suggestive list:

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Washington
Cornell College
Yale
California Institute of Technology
Stanford University
Brown University
University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
University of Notre Dame
UCLA/UCSB
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Rice University

I'd also add a few other schools like U of Michigan to your application list.

The above list was taken from the following link:

http://www.nano.unr.edu/Education/focus/university/university_top.asp

It is a bit outdated and some of the links are dead. However, it's a start with regards to branching out. Some of those schools will be tough to get into. Since you are considering the design and implementation of cutting edge technology it is to be expected.

I can personally tell you that the University of Washington in Seattle (my home town) is a great place to be with respect to bridging engineering and medicine, e.g. nanotechnology. Also, the Univeristy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign is also a top notch engineering school. If you want to work on nanotechnology you are either going to major in Physics/Chemistry, an engineering field such as Materials Science & Engr, or a biological field where you will need to integrate some engineering into your schedule. If you are really lucky you will end up finding a PI who is in a molecular biology field collaborating with the local engineering labs, when it comes to doing some undergraduate research.

While you are in the midst of your engineering courses don't forget to volunteer in a clinic. This is crucial, imho. Keep yourself connected to the patient-physician population. There is probably no better way for you to access your interest in pursing the practice of medicine.

Lastly, keep your vision open with respect to what field of medicine best fits you and what you are learning. Don't be surprised if your interest in nanotechnology draws you into other fields like nephrology, oncology, or even plastic surgery. :)

God bless and take care.

According to the FAQ on the UW Med-Scholars Website, the MCAT is required starting in the Fall of 2004.

chuck deli said:
I'm from WI, and went to UW-Madison, so I know a thing or two about what you're asking. I'm now in med. school down in Chicago.

First of all, (and what everyone else is thinking), you've got a long way to go in your education yet, don't get your heart set on one particular field.

Study whatever you want in college. We have people in med. school who were theater majors, english majors, and plenty others. Many are biology/science majors. Medical schools just want you to complete their prereq classes and be well-rounded individuals. If nanotech interests you, then by all means study it! However, also be warned that the average undergrad changes their mind 5 times about their major. It happens. Find something you enjoy and study that.

UW-Madison is now officially the institution with the highest NIH money (not including classified research thru the military). Their neuro program is one of the best in the country, period. I would know, I was an undergrad neuro major. However, be prepared to do research, it's highly pushed on you.

Any in the world that you want.

Medscholars is a competitive program, however if you get accepted you MUST enter UW-Madison med. school. You do not have to take the MCAT. Obviously, the thought of having a guaranteed acceptance and no MCAT is huge. However, also think about if medicine is what you really want. Personally, I think the program is horrible. No high schooler knows if medicine is for them. Think about the PhD route...it sounds like that might be an interest of yours.

The Early Acceptance program isn't for everyone, and it's certainly not something you need to worry about right now.

Want my advice?

1) Go volunteer at a hospital, talk to the doctors and get to know them. See if you can picture yourself working with them
2) If nanotech is really an interest of yours, call the department at the UW, and an advisor will be happy to show you around and discuss your options with you.
3) If you really want to do the medscholars program, read their website and become very familiar with the program. Realize that the odds are low that you will be accepted.
4) Relax, make decisions when needed. It never hurts to look ahead and have high ambitions, but don't miss out on the fun stuff in life either.
5) Don't be afraid or disappointed if you change your mind. Things happen, you take a class and find out you love a different field, etc. Be open minded!

Well, I'm mainly focusing on Madison because it's a very good school located close to home...and I have been thining about that Med Scholars program, and I understand more about what you guys are saying. I think it may be better for me if I do my undergrad at Madison, and then apply for grad school somewhere else that has a bigger focus on whatever field I plan to go into, wether it be in neuroscience or some other medical field.

GamerBoy said:
Well, I'm mainly focusing on Madison because it's a very good school located close to home...and I have been thining about that Med Scholars program, and I understand more about what you guys are saying. I think it may be better for me if I do my undergrad at Madison, and then apply for grad school somewhere else that has a bigger focus on whatever field I plan to go into, wether it be in neuroscience or some other medical field.

Also, you should consider other combined degree programs. Finch University offers a 3-4 degree B.S./M.D. without the MCAT. UMKC offers 6-year B.S./M.D. without the MCAT. One of the best-kept secrets of all the combined degree programs is the Central Methodist University/Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (KCUMB) 3-4 Accelerated Program: it offers a B.S. degree and D.O. degree in 7 years. At KCUMB you can also earn an MBA, which makes you highly competitive after residency. KCUMB is a two-time Templeton Award Recipient and has graduates who do their residencies at prestigious hospitals like Mayo and the Cleveland Clinic. So, as a high school student, keep your options open and explore many programs.

GamerBoy said:
It's pretty selective, but if I don't make it...it's no biggie I don't think. I'm also a minority. (Pakistani-American)

Just so you know, this will not help you, and will probably hurt you. Indian/Pakistani, East Asian, persons of Middle-Eastern, or Jewish decent are NOT considered "Underrepresented Minorities" (URMs). Have you seen how many dang Indians there are in medicine???

Secondly, I echo the sentiments of many on this forum, don't limit your undergrad possiblities. Regardless of what many may say, going to a top undergrad institution CAN increase your chances of getting into medschool. But more than that, it can be a life-changing experience. Yes there are people in medschool who say, "how does it feel to pay 140,000 for your undergraduate tuition, when I paid 8,000, yet we still ended up in the same medschool." Despite that, I think my education was worth every penny. Not to sound snobby, but the top undergrad schools are going to give you a college experience that a huge state school, or mid-level liberal arts school with a forgiving admissions policy can't give you. I know you want to stay close to home, but there are many excellent schools nearby to consider. I agree the schools listed earlier in the thread are excellent. Some alternatives close to home include:

University of Chicago
Northwestern
Washington U - St. Louis
Carleton
Oberlin
Grinnell

Good Luck!

So...I talked with my counselor at school today, and we both felt it necessary to look at other schools aside from Madison...because that's all I really was thinking about. What have you guys heard about Northwestern's Undergrad Program? I know University of Chicago has a great Med school (the Pritzker I believe it's called) but isn't it extremely expensive?

Also...I was afraid my descent would make a negative impact >_> oh well, can't change that

I have recieved letters from a lot of the schools that megacolon mentioned...I guess right now, I have to look at other schools that would be better for me. Thanks again to everyone helping me out in this thread, and please, if you have any more suggestions for me, keep 'em comin.

I think the most important and repeated point from all these replies is: explore your interests. I would add that you should do this without hypnotizing yourself into thinking "neurosurgery only" At this stage, I think you should only think about "subjects" and not "professions" of interest. There is a difference between telling people you are interested in neuroscience/nanoscience vs. neurosurgery. Everytime you tell people you want to be a neurosurgeon, you are also telling youself that. Over time, it might be difficult for you to keep an open-mind when exploring other fields, (fields you dont' even think about now, because you don't know anything about them) Be true to yourself always. Otherwise you will be very miserable at some point in your life.

Also, TM made a good point. A good school can change your life. Again, be open-minded about college choices and major choices. For lots of doctors, the best preparation in college for them was not neuroscience, or even science. College is really a time to explore, to try different things, to meet different people, to have a great time.

I think going to U of Wisconsin and not racking up a lot of debt is a good idea. It is a great school and if you don't end up with a debt of $100k when you graduate it will give you more flexibility to pursue other career options including PhD programs in the Ivy Leagues or Med school.

Doctors can afford to rack up lots of debt because they are looking forward to a high income. If you decide not to go that route your debt burden will become very relevant.

Oh...I didn't mean to come off like I had tunnel vision for Neurosurgery, it's just a broad thing that seems like something I'd be interested in. I mean hell, I know absolutely nothing about it. It's just an idea right now. I posted this here because Neurosurgery is a hard field to get in to (from what I understand) and you guys have worked hard to get where you are, so I figure you can help me best. I'm sure that if something piques my interest more in college, I will definetely look into it. I don't want to grow up hating my job and just working at it for the money. It's always best to be interested in what you're gonna do for the rest of your life.

I mean right now...I'm just wondering what other colleges would be good choices for my Bachelor's. Maybe in a few years I'll come back here and ask you questions aboutwhat Grad School is best ;)

And you guys have been giving great suggestions, I think that I will most likely apply to both of University of Chicago (their past is amazing, I was reading up on them), and Madison at this point. I still need to do a lot more research, and am looking at all your suggestions. The help is much appreciated.

Don't listen to some of these knuckleheads....Madison is a fabulous institution that will take you whereever you want to go in life. For me, it was also a convenient choice, because it was close to home (and MUCH MUCH cheaper then most other options). Remember, life is more than just going to a "good" school. Plus no one can define a "good school". Madison has a very strong acceptance rate into medical schools and graduate schools. It's one of the strongest research institutions in the world (we discovered stem cells, vitamin D, warfarin, and potato chips!).

Feel free to listen to people's advice, but it's only that....advice.