High School Students ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to the influx of high school students (with repeat questions) should we have a separate FAQ for them about undergrad? Just a suggestion :D

Members don't see this ad.

mshheaddoc said:
Due to the influx of high school students (with repeat questions) should we have a separate FAQ for them about undergrad? Just a suggestion :D

Sounds good to me. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
i object! unless we can fit in a middleschool board

americanpierg said:
i object! unless we can fit in a middleschool board

Seriously! They're getting so young, I predict in another few years we'll need an elementary school thread. If only I had known I could be one of those anal gunner pre-meds...I would've been here when I was in diapers! :eek:

I think we should ban them all...for their own good.

They are way too young and stressed out to be on here already.

highschooler want advice from people "in the know" so they will probably igore the high school subforum and post here anyway.

happydays said:
highschooler want advice from people "in the know" so they will probably igore the high school subforum and post here anyway.
If they're ______ enough to be stressed about med school in high school (choose you're own adjective, positive or negative), you're probably right.

But I think a High School FAQ sticky in the pre-allo forum would be a time saver.

happydays said:

if they really wanted info from people "in the know" they'd go talk to their counselors and leave us alone ;)

as long as it doens't encourage more high schoolers to come onto sdn. :scared:

I'll volunteer to put it together. We'll see what the head honchos think.

Please put all your information that you think is applicable on this thread.

Such as:

Should I get a BA/BS?
Does my undergraduate institution matter?
What should I major in college?

Other tips about EC's etc ...

And we can't forget the "I want to be a surgeon, is it hard to get into med school?" :laugh:

mshheaddoc said:
I'll volunteer to put it together. We'll see what the head honchos think.

Please put all your information that you think is applicable on this thread.

Such as:

Should I get a BA/BS?
Does my undergraduate institution matter?
What should I major in college?

Other tips about EC's etc ...

And we can't forget the "I want to be a surgeon, is it hard to get into med school?" :laugh:

don't forget the

"I'm really smart...is it advisable to take all 120 hours of college in one semester so i don't have to waste four years in undergrad?"

-and-

"I got a #### on the SAT...that should be about a 39 on the MCAT, right?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I can understand being annoyed. I'm really not stressed out, I'm just interested. It is interesting to see what you all have to go through in order to continue your education.

I will probably just look around for a bit, but I won't post much. I'll try to stay out of the business that I need not worry about for a few years.

but with all this exposure that SDN is receiving, having one thread for applicants, one for pre-meds and one for high school students will solve most of the problems with some of these threads.

Also maybe when one registers Lee could have a "user agreement" which states that one needs to read an FAQ before using the forums :smuggrin:

ND2005 said:
I think we should ban them all...for their own good.

They are way too young and stressed out to be on here already.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Longtime reader, I rarely post but this high school take over is really getting annoying

Yes, hi..Um, I am a high school senior who is thinking about medical school and I just wanted to ask some questions. So, I got a 1590 on the SAT and so I expect that I will get nothing less than a 41 on the MCAT. Therefore, I am trying to understand this, so does that mean that I will have an easier time getting into medical school than the rest of you? I was accepted to Harvard, Yale and my state school and well the state school gave me a full ride, a car and three hoes, but the others only gave me half tuition. When I called up the admissions office and demanded to talk with the dean about this outrage, I was told something about there being others in need who are as smart as me. I just laughed at the idea of smart people like me, but when the dean asked what was so funny, I lied and just said I am better than you. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, so I am trying to decide, should I go to my state school? I mean, it is free, but it makes me think that I will not match where I want to go because my school may or may not offer water polo and well, to be quite honest, I think that I am better than you all and I have heard none of you tell of your water polo experiences. I think that had you all been involved in water polo, you may have achieved a 46 and perhaps been accepted to your state school. That said, could you all tell me about your failures so that I can avoid running into similar problems. Some people tell me I have social issues, but I dont think that I do. That is really the only thing wrong with me and since that is not a problem and everyone loves me, I am just trying to understand exactly what it IS that makes me so great.

In conclusion, I must ask you all the following and please answer my questions in the form of a question and then close with "Thank you Oh Mighty Conquerer of the SAT for gracing me with you online presence. You will certainly get a 46 on the MCAT and everyone loves you:"

1. What should I major in?
2. Why am I so great?
3. If I enroll in my BS/MD program at a subpar school, how will this affect my medical career?
4. Why do people take Kaplan? (You know I dont need to take it and will still get my 46)
5. Do I sound like a typical high schooler?
6. In Saved by the Bell, what was the name of the robot who belonged to Samuel Powers?
7. Where in the world IS Carmen Sandiego?
8. If you were a hotdog, would you eat yourself?

Sincerely,

Lord High Schooler,

Ridgeview High School
College Prep Degree 2006

Hating us because we are young solves makes no sense... sure we are naive and ignorant about many topics... but that's why we are here... to learn...

I just want to know all of their names. As soon as I find out that someone is an HS student I put them on ignore. It happened as soon as I read one of them post something impossibly vacuous like "I've got 4 years to study and I want a 38".
Gives me the chills just thinking about it now.

astrife said:
Hating us because we are young solves makes no sense... sure we are naive and ignorant about many topics... but that's why we are here... to learn...
of course you're right. Everyone [who didn't post so far] knows you're right. I for one think you should continue to visit and ask as many questions as you want. It is, however, in your best interest to try to find already existing threads that answer you questions because you won't have to wait for people to respond to YOUR thread. So make a little effort to find out, and then if you're still confused, make a new thread. Thats what message boards are for and the people who think they own this board will just have to get used to seeing things they don't want to see.

I understand the interest in getting information from people "in the know" but I don't think that is really the true intention of the Pre-Allo forum. You don't see a lot of pre-meds going in to the med students forum and asking them a ton of questions because they know more. That would just be rude and interfering with the purpose of their forum. I guess I support the creation of a high school SDN forum to help with this problem.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I think the high school students should gain what information they can by reading the posts in Pre-Allo but try to limit their questions.

Kitra101 said:
Yes, hi..Um, I am a high school senior who is thinking about medical school and I just wanted to ask some questions. So, I got a 1590 on the SAT and so I expect that I will get nothing less than a 41 on the MCAT. Therefore, I am trying to understand this, so does that mean that I will have an easier time getting into medical school than the rest of you? I was accepted to Harvard, Yale and my state school and well the state school gave me a full ride, a car and three hoes, but the others only gave me half tuition. When I called up the admissions office and demanded to talk with the dean about this outrage, I was told something about there being others in need who are as smart as me. I just laughed at the idea of smart people like me, but when the dean asked what was so funny, I lied and just said I am better than you. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, so I am trying to decide, should I go to my state school? I mean, it is free, but it makes me think that I will not match where I want to go because my school may or may not offer water polo and well, to be quite honest, I think that I am better than you all and I have heard none of you tell of your water polo experiences. I think that had you all been involved in water polo, you may have achieved a 46 and perhaps been accepted to your state school. That said, could you all tell me about your failures so that I can avoid running into similar problems. Some people tell me I have social issues, but I dont think that I do. That is really the only thing wrong with me and since that is not a problem and everyone loves me, I am just trying to understand exactly what it IS that makes me so great.

In conclusion, I must ask you all the following and please answer my questions in the form of a question and then close with "Thank you Oh Mighty Conquerer of the SAT for gracing me with you online presence. You will certainly get a 46 on the MCAT and everyone loves you:"

2. Why am I so great?
3. If I enroll in my BS/MD program at a subpar school, how will this affect my medical career?
4. Why do people take Kaplan? (You know I dont need to take it and will still get my 46)
6. In Saved by the Bell, what was the name of the robot who belonged to Samuel Powers?

Sincerely,

Lord High Schooler,

Ridgeview High School
College Prep Degree 2006

What is Civil Engineering?

2. Why am I so great?

What is Because awesomeness oozes from you, kind of like a post-nasal drip.

What is It won't, but your parents will likely disown you for shaming them.

Why is Because it's a primo social club.

What is Somewhat

According to wikipedia, Who is Kevin. I cheated.

where is your closet

what is only with mustard.

Thank you Oh Mighty Conquerer of the SAT for gracing me with you online presence. You will certainly get a 46 on the MCAT and everyone loves you.

Sorry, I didn't really respond to the original question--Yeah it probably would be helpful, but to echo a previous poster, I don't know how much of an effect it would have.

MNsocsci said:
I understand the interest in getting information from people "in the know" but I don't think that is really the true intention of the Pre-Allo forum. You don't see a lot of pre-meds going in to the med students forum and asking them a ton of questions because they know more. That would just be rude and interfering with the purpose of their forum. I guess I support the creation of a high school SDN forum to help with this problem.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I think the high school students should gain what information they can by reading the posts in Pre-Allo but try to limit their questions.

Actually I've infiltrated the Med Student forums (browsing only) and have seen quite a few of you posting in there... heh...

I never posted on the med student forums until I got accepted - and then only sparingly. I don't really feel I have much to contribute or right to say much since I haven't actually started med school yet. Actually I never even read the med student forums until I got accepted. Hmm.

As for high schoolers posting on pre-med forums: I think perhaps they ought to focus on the tasks at hand. Namely getting good HS grades, getting good SAT/ACT scores, getting into a college of their choice. THEN they should look toward the next goal and start getting addicted to SDN pre-allo, pre-osteo, pre-dent, pre-pharm, nursing, or whatever other forums they choose to become OCD over. But goodness - one step at a time. Get into college first. Focus, people, focus!

Kitra101 said:

It's a simple question, Norm. :laugh:

astrife said:
Actually I've infiltrated the Med Student forums (browsing only) and have seen quite a few of you posting in there... heh...

Good gaddam point astrife. The hilarious part is when some of you ANSWER questions posed on the med student forums.

applicant said:
Hi, I'm applying this year, and wanted to know what 3rd year is like at your schools.

knowitallpremed said:
Well, third year can be really difficult, depending on where you go. At Duke it's pretty chill because you just do research. Otherwise, it's really hard, but that's what we came here to do, right?

my inner monologue said:
gaddam knowitallpremed! His avatar makes my veins itch

astrife said:

Yeah, I think it's fine if pre-meds post a few comments in med students forums or if high school students post a few comments here in pre-allo, but I just don't think they should start a bunch of threads with questions. It pushes our more interesting threads off the first page!

Haha, I can understand being annoyed. I'm really not stressed out, I'm just interested. It is interesting to see what you all have to go through in order to continue your education.

What he said. ^ I was actually lurking without an account for a while, but then I got kind of curious and asked a question. >_>

Then, while lurking a lot, I noticed similar questions being asked. I'd love to read through a FAQ-thread.

I get what you guys are saying for the most part, but i think with high school students there can be some exceptions. For example, the seniors that are trying to decide between a traditional undergrad and a combined BS/MD may find our comments inciteful since most of us have taken the 4 year undergrad route. I had to make a decision between these two types of programs my senior year of high school, and while I decided to go to a four year undergrad (which was def the best decision for me), I probably would have benefited from a couple more perspectives. The high schoolers who get on here and ask which undergrad is the best for medicine and blah blah blah.....those do get annoying.

pnasty said:
may find our comments inciteful

tee hee. We're going to start a highschool riot.

As a higher schooler, I'm not going to recommend that high school seniors be banned from SDN :) (I'm weird like that).

However, even I'll admit that the SAT-MCAT correlation threads and the "Is medical school difficult" threads are kind of annoying. (I'm happy to say I have never made such a thread...go ahead and search, I dare you ;) )

My best advice is to just post a stickey on FAQ for entering pre-meds. But I'll be honest, that's not going to stop many seniors from ignoring such a stickey and asking the same questions.

It's kind of annoying, but hell, I can emphathize. The only difference between them and me is I lurked around a bit to get a general feel of the pre-med environment before posting. But really, there's plenty of fun stuff to post about instead of just talking about the MCAT and such.

But come May when everyone decides where they are going for undergrad, I predict that such threads will wane until the MCAT clock starts ticking. Therefore, I don't think it'll be much of a deal. And oh yeah, not all of us high school seniors are anal-gunners, some of us are just interested in medicine :) .

-Dr. P.

seriously why care. Why is this such a big deal???? Its a public forum. If they post something thats been posted before, then don't reply. I dont see why this is such a big deal, its not like we are required to read every single post here.

Thank you for your responses Pitt matriculant. You are very nice and for this, your death will be quick and painless (when I take over). Lastly, I challenge you all (except Mr. Pitt) to a duel....(slaps everyone in the face with a glove except the guy from the simpsons who accepts homer's challenge and loves to duel...he would probably accept my challenge...he might even kill me in the duel....but he will never get a 46 on the mcat like i will)

Kitra101 said:
....but he will never get a 46 on the mcat like i will)

That's still 3 points lower than what I got. Dummy.

Kitra101 said:
OctoDoc said:
It's a simple question, Norm. :laugh:

I know I would. I'd slather myself with brown mustard. I'd be tasty and delicious!

Just like anyone going through life, I want to change age restrictions/seniority to get me into any group that I can't, but once there, I'd like it better if all of the riff-raff was kept out. It would help to make a separate high-school general pre-health (DO, MD, DPharm, EMT, etc.) discussion forum.