High School students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DoogieMD22

I am a sophomore in high school highly considering a career in medicine. Is there any particular clubs, activities, or classes anyone would recommend? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

sleeping pills, pot and acid

Take, Bio, Chem, and Physics courses,,,also get involved with clinical volunteer work (i.e volunteering at a local doctor's office or hospital) The purpose of volunteering is to get an idea of what doctor's do and what dealing with patients and a clinical environment is like. Establish relationships with people in the health professions field.

Members don't see this ad :)
volunteer at a hospital, shadow doctors. in general, just do what you're interested in.

rajad10 said:
sleeping pills, pot and acid
agreed.

it's never too early to start young.

enjoy highschool and do things you like!!! BE NORMAL and never, never, never comeback to SDN...you'll corrupt your mind!!

when college comes around find premed advisors and let them help you out :)

goodluck in highschool...it was by far one of the worst time of my life! same for everyone i know...

MedicineNutt said:
BE NORMAL and never, never, never comeback to SDN...you'll corrupt your mind!!
QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i concur.

e_phn said:
MedicineNutt said:
BE NORMAL and never, never, never comeback to SDN...you'll corrupt your mind!!
QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i concur.

I think its important to have fun and establish relationships and what have you, high school is an awkward rite of passage...so make sure you have your firsts...loose your virginity, get drunk and throw up, laugh, play, cry, fight...but it still doesn't hurt to do some community service and volunteer in a clinical setting (if that interests you)

DoogieMD22 said:
I am a sophomore in high school highly considering a career in medicine. Is there any particular clubs, activities, or classes anyone would recommend? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Take as many honor science courses and math courses as you can. It will help in college. Do some shadowing of docs, volunteering at hospitals/clinics and other volunteering work. Do well in school. Take honors courses. Apply to a good college with a premed program (if possible). And don't come back here until you've begun studying for the MCAT. :D

Are you thinking about the combined BS/MD programs?

Take a bunch of AP and transfer none of the credits. I don't think AP was designed to replace university courses (at least it sucks at doing that) but introducing them really well. Try to get involved and become committed in whatever interests you, however, don't become too comfortable - try something new every couple years. High school is just a place you have to go by until the real fun in university starts. Don't worry too much about social life, popularity, cliques right now. I would suggest studying a lot, getting tons of scholarships, and having an amazing time in university.

Members don't see this ad :)
akinf said:
Take a bunch of AP and transfer none of the credits. I don't think AP was designed to replace university courses (at least it sucks at doing that) but introducing them really well. Try to get involved and become committed in whatever interests you, however, don't become too comfortable - try something new every couple years. High school is just a place you have to go by until the real fun in university starts. Don't worry too much about social life, popularity, cliques right now. I would suggest studying a lot, getting tons of scholarships, and having an amazing time in university.

Thanks for the advice!

I am 14 and also pursuing a career in medicine. Good luck man!

I am shadowing a Doctor in heart surgery so I am stoked!

taydoctor said:

I haven't done that yet but I'm gonna try to in the summer

What field are you interested in?

DoogieMD22 said:

uh..i think taydoctor is joking about the age thing.

taydoctor said:

Damn, 14 and shadowing a heart surgeon? You must have some mad hook-ups.

DoogieMD22 said:

Well we have a lot of time to decide, but right now Cardiology, ER Doctor, Internal medicine, general surgeon....the list goes on. My grandpa was a great Doctor so I have some in my blood.

DoogieMD22 said:

Oy

taydoctor said:
I am 14 and also pursuing a career in medicine. Good luck man!

I guess this is a joke... If so, funnny :thumbup: , If not, sad :thumbdown:

AP courses in anything you want. If you want to relax a bit in college, Bio and Chem, or Bio and Phys, or Phys and Chem, one per year. Don't worry about the test, just take it and what happens, happens.

Have fun
have a life
make friends
kiss someone
enjoy seeing your family every day
go to college
repeat steps 1-4
study, play hard, study
do research or community service as long as you ENJOY it, don't do any crap you don't like to do to pad your app
take a year off before medical school (at least one!)
repeat steps 1-4 again and visit your family every once in a while because it will be tough to see them once in med school

oh yeah, don't go into medicine/ get interested in something else and don't become a doctor (or at least that is what a lot of doctors have been telling me the last few years, oh well I'll find out for myself)

wow seriously, dont worry about this stuff yet. Your not even closed to graduating high school. So, your a sophmore this year or next? If next, so your still a freshman, thats nuts. Go play video games and get some girls if your a guy.

You should start prepping for your SAT before you even consider med. school.

masterMood said:
You should start prepping for your SAT before you even consider med. school.
My AP classes were full of gunners. I even knew a handful of kids who had already started studying for the MCAT as juniors. So insane.

Unlike them, I usually slept through class and gave everyone the false impression that I didn't care. Then I would ruin the grading curve just to piss off these same people. :p

the negative 1 said:
My AP classes were full of gunners. I even knew a handful of kids who had already started studying for the MCAT as juniors. So insane.

Unlike them, I usually slept through class and gave everyone the false impression that I didn't care. Then I would ruin the grading curve just to piss off these same people. :p
destroying the curve while putting in minimal effort is the best.

the negative 1 said:
It always gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. :D

You are my hero!!!

Seriously, anyone that could bring down the snobby gunners is my hero!!!

That's all. :D :p :thumbup:

I disagree with this, take them and transfer them all. Use the extra space in your college schedule to take upper level classes or classes you will enjoy instead of intro. classes that are just hard to be hard.