High Science GPA but lower Cum GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmacstew

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think?
If a person has a Science GPA of around 3.7 to 3.8 but has a lower cum GPA of around 3.15 at time of application, but also has their EMT Basic, shadowed Dr's, volunteered at the hospital, and is part of other types of EC's through the school, and has an MCAT of 33, what do you guys think the chances are?
Just curious to know??!! I know this has probably been posted before, but I couldn't find anything like it, so here I am!!
Thank you very much!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I didn't have your problem, but I have 2 cents to donate.

I took my organic chemistry and physics at a community college. At my interviews I was asked about it and I stated that I felt I got a better education at the community college for Ochem than I did at my large-university-alma mater where I took my general chemistry. AND, I pointed out that my MCAT scores supported the fact.

In your case, I'd guess you could emphasize your good MCAT verbal and essay scores to make up for the GPA lapse. Also, it seems that Ad Coms are very interested in the level of improvement that your transcripts show (did you take your non-science classes previous to your "pre-med" courses?).

It looks like you have great experiences, though. Why don't you look at schools that have a history of admitting less-traditional and/or experienced students?

Oh, and check out the thread on "Applicant Profiles"!