High sGPA low cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybeIt'sTime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post here, long time lurker,

I am getting my stuff ready for this next application cycle that opens this summer, but I'm not sure how broadly I should be applying. Ideally I want to go the DO route, but I would go MD only if I got into my state school (Nebraska - UNMC), which I don't think is very likely. My sGPA is 3.56 and my cGPA is only 3.1 right now. I'm taking the MCAT in June and I was heavily relying on the grade replacement to boost my cGPA. DMU, KCUMB, and OUHC are my top picks, but I don't feel too strongly about my app and can't decide if I should sit out this coming cycle and take more classes or not. I've got ~120 hrs volunteering (non-clinical/animal rescues), 1,000+ hours of healthcare employment, 2 semesters of research experience, and a small amount of shadowing. Opinions/Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in your same situation and got accepted into a DO school. High sGPA and low cGPA. I'll say shadow as many DO's as you can so they can write you a strong letter of recommendation which helps your application a lot.

I was in your same situation and got accepted into a DO school. High sGPA and low cGPA. I'll say shadow as many DO's as you can so they can write you a strong letter of recommendation which helps your application a lot.
Do you mind sharing which school/s you were accepted to or at a minimum got a second application? I've got more shadowing lined up, but won't be doing it until spring break.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in your exact same boat, maybe a little worse off, I have a 3.01 cGPA and a 3.62 sGPA and I'm taking the mcat in June. Also was relying on grade replacement and I have similar EC's and I'm definitely applying this next cycle, but now that my cGPA is so low, having less EC's feels worse

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Strong upward trends and MCATs always help.

I am getting my stuff ready for this next application cycle that opens this summer, but I'm not sure how broadly I should be applying. Ideally I want to go the DO route, but I would go MD only if I got into my state school (Nebraska - UNMC), which I don't think is very likely. My sGPA is 3.56 and my cGPA is only 3.1 right now. I'm taking the MCAT in June and I was heavily relying on the grade replacement to boost my cGPA. DMU, KCUMB, and OUHC are my top picks, but I don't feel too strongly about my app and can't decide if I should sit out this coming cycle and take more classes or not. I've got ~120 hrs volunteering (non-clinical/animal rescues), 1,000+ hours of healthcare employment, 2 semesters of research experience, and a small amount of shadowing. Opinions/Suggestions?

I had very similar numbers without healthcare employment (instead had research employment). It worked out fine for me. Just do well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users