High Stat Re-applicant, help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent2023?

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your state public schools
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Miami
Tulane
Washington University
UVA
Ohio State
U Michigan
St. Louis
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Miami
Tulane
Washington University
UVA
Ohio State
U Michigan
St. Louis
Kaiser

Thank you very much! Does my application look alright or is there anything major I should try to change/add?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application looks good, but as you know nothing is “airtight” or guaranteed. Why did you retake the MCAT?

I didn’t really study the first time (2 weeks of cramming 14-15 hours a day with no study plan) and I have no acceptances. I understand my MCAT wasn’t my greatest weakness but I felt I should try and improve my application in every way I could while being careful not to focus on what I’m good at/ignoring what I’m deficient at. Do you think this was a bad choice?

I didn’t really study the first time (2 weeks of cramming 14-15 hours a day with no study plan) and I have no acceptances. I understand my MCAT wasn’t my greatest weakness but I felt I should try and improve my application in every way I could while being careful not to focus on what I’m good at/ignoring what I’m deficient at. Do you think this was a bad choice?

It worked out because your score didn’t go down and that’s good. I’m not sure how ADCOMs will view it but they might question your judgement. It’s all a crap shoot anyway. Good luck on your reapplication.

It worked out because your score didn’t go down and that’s good. I’m not sure how ADCOMs will view it but they might question your judgement. It’s all a crap shoot anyway. Good luck on your reapplication.
Would it have been better to not retake? I thought that a top score would be a big plus not questionable haha. Worked pretty hard on it

Would it have been better to not retake? I thought that a top score would be a big plus not questionable haha. Worked pretty hard on it

The problem with retakes is that your score could go up, stay the same or go down. It’s impossible to predict and you had a very good score to start with. Your new score turned out great so I think it’s fine but some ADCOMS might question why you retook. If you are asked in interviews why you retook don’t say “ I didn’t really study the first time...”. Just say you knew you could do better and wanted to give the application the best shot or something.

The problem with retakes is that your score could go up, stay the same or go down. It’s impossible to predict and you had a very good score to start with. Your new score turned out great so I think it’s fine but some ADCOMS might question why you retook. If you are asked in interviews why you retook don’t say “ I didn’t really study the first time...”. Just say you knew you could do better and wanted to give the application the best shot or something.
I know better than to say that but thanks for looking out! It’s been two years and I got no acceptances in this cycle so I decided to improve my application in all ways I could think of, focusing of course primarily on my weaknesses but not ignoring potential improvements to my strengths. I hope that was a good idea, thank you for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Miami
Tulane
Washington University
UVA
Ohio State
U Michigan
St. Louis
Kaiser

I also really want to thank you for this. I greatly appreciate you going out of your way to form a list like this for me. I'm not going to use this exactly necessarily but this is giving me a really awesome place to start my list from. Thank you so much