Jun 16, 2011
Status
First of all, I know I have great stats, not here to brag/troll/etc, just full of questions, and as a sort of non-trad have no one to ask! 40 MCAT (15B, 11V, 14PS), 3.94 GPA; 3.95 sGPA from UCSD Bioengineering. 2 years research in undergrad, then 1 year travelling and 2 years working in research after graduation with a couple publications. Clinical is where I'm weakest - like 50 hours ER volunteering, 50 hours shadowing across 5 specialties.

I think I will be good at interviewing, and am also curious if you think these stats are enough to get interviews at many of the top tier schools listed, assuming I write an adequate PS and have solid LORs.

First time applying, and I am worried that despite good stats I am going way too top heavy, and maybe need to add more schools, and I am just curious if anyone had some thoughts. Obviously my research is the strongest point of my application - are there schools that this will make it easier to get into? People talk about the big "research giants". Does that mean like UCSF/Harvard/UPenn, and should I then emphasize the research to make it really stand out? Or should I instead emphasize the importance of the clinical experience, which was truly important in my decision to apply.

Obviously I am interested in schools in interesting cities, and like the idea of P/F first two years. Really running out of steam on what other schools to apply to though.

UCSF
UW (in state)
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Chicago - Pritzker
UPenn
UCSD
Northwestern
UCLA
Columbia
NYU
University of Michigan
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Tulane

Thoughts would be appreciated, I know there are some experts out there!

Last edited: