High Yield vs. Low Yield

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that to pass Step 1 you need to know all the high yield material, and to do really well, you need to also know the low yield material. I have a pretty good idea of what is high-yield, but I am wondering if somebody can give examples of questions they've seen that they would consider low yield. Should I assume that "low-yield" ="'not in FA"?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that to pass Step 1 you need to know all the high yield material, and to do really well, you need to also know the low yield material. I have a pretty good idea of what is high-yield, but I am wondering if somebody can give examples of questions they've seen that they would consider low yield. Should I assume that "low-yield" ="'not in FA"?

Well, I would describe high yield as things like micro, pharm, pathophys, biochem, and lower yield as things like embryo, histo. (With BS and Anatomy someplace in between). FA covers a mix of higher and lower yield topics amongst the higher and lower yield subjects. You don't want to rely exclusively on FA but not because the material outside of FA is low yield. FA is a barebones outline -- you need other stuff to flesh it out.
I would argue that you can actually do quite well knowing the high yield subjects well, not just "pass"

I think all subjects have high yield facts. Some (eg. pharm) have many more than others (eg. embryo).

I think that much, but not all, of the stuff in First Aid is somewhat high yield. There are probably not that many high yield facts that First Aid misses, and you will encounter most of these in question banks.

I agree that the key to a high score is not knowing low yield facts (although there is some of this) as much as being able to use high yield information in novel situations. (eg. realizing that a really hard question is really testing a simple concept in an unusual way)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all subjects have high yield facts. Some (eg. pharm) have many more than others (eg. embryo).

I think that much, but not all, of the stuff in First Aid is somewhat high yield. There are probably not that many high yield facts that First Aid misses, and you will encounter most of these in question banks.

I agree that the key to a high score is not knowing low yield facts (although there is some of this) as much as being able to use high yield information in novel situations. (eg. realizing that a really hard question is really testing a simple concept in an unusual way)

ditto. I second that.