higher sci gpa than overall gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iverson3504

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my application was processed today, and my overall and science GPA's were calculated..

overall: 3.59
science: 3.78
non-science: 3.40 :eek:

I may be wrong but aren't most people's GPAs reversed? does anyone else have a higher science GPA than their cumulative or non-science GPAs? I have about 50 hours completed in each and have finished most of my science pre-reqs so its not a small sample size or anything..

Anyone have any idea of how this is looked upon by adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

so my application was processed today, and my overall and science GPA's were calculated..

I may be wrong but aren't most people's GPAs reversed? does anyone else have a higher science GPA than their cumulative or non-science GPAs? I have about 50 hours completed in each and have finished most of my science pre-reqs so its not a small sample size or anything..

Mine is (check my predents). and my Non-science gpa is same as yours. But am not at all worried about non-science gpa.

but wouldnt it make sense: Overall = Sci + Non-sci
if you have completed almost equal number of credits in both then it will average out which is overall.

ya lol you're right about it making sense, I was just thinking it was a little strange that my science gpa was higher than my cumulative.. however, it's nice to see I'm not alone! oh and really nice grades btw

Members don't see this ad :)
I have only taken two non-science classes, but I am in the same boat :)

Your GPA looks great. It's bad to be the other way around, imo.

I have heard that Sci Gpa is more important than Overall. Hopefully this should be right.:idea:

Science GPA is more important because dental school is mostly comprised of....you guessed it.... Science.

I feel like if you went on pre dents and did a search, you'll notice there are plenty of people with this trend. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Good luck with applications.

ME too!

I have higher science GPA...but anyway

my Nonscience < overall GPA <science GPA < BCP All above 3.5+

I took 136.04 hour

AND BCP is 65.36hours

Is 136.04 hours above average?

I also had a higher science GPA than overall GPA. It is better this way. Schools can overlook a lower overall GPA if your science GPA is high. My GPA went like this BCP GPA>science GPA>overall GPA. Most people have lower science GPA than overall GPA, so it may make you stand out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
While we're on the GPA topic. Do you guys know if dental schools look at the GPA with +/- or without +/-?

If this question has been asked before, then i'm sorry...

my science GPA is lower 3.6. Overall = 3.63
Unfortunately, nursing and clinical classes will counted toward "science" (other science):) I haven't submitted the application yet.
But this is my own calculation based on their rules.

My science GPA (4.0) is higher than my overall GPA (3.97). I don't think it's uncommon.

I have heard that Sci Gpa is more important than Overall. Hopefully this should be right.:idea:

Yeah, when I visited a dental school a few months ago one of the dean of admissions told me that most (probably not all) schools look at 1.) science GPA, 2.) overall GPA, 3.) DAT scores, and 4.) personal statement, interview, etc.

great. thanks for the responses.. as I mentioned before, glad to see I'm not alone in this, and that in some cases it can even be a positive! good luck to all with their apps

Yeah, when I visited a dental school a few months ago one of the dean of admissions told me that most (probably not all) schools look at 1.) science GPA, 2.) overall GPA, 3.) DAT scores, and 4.) personal statement, interview, etc.

good! 3.9 sci, 3.3 overall!

While we're on the GPA topic. Do you guys know if dental schools look at the GPA with +/- or without +/-?

If this question has been asked before, then i'm sorry...

Look up the AADSAS site. The official stats that schools go by is the AADSAS calculation.

That isn't fair. DAT scores are much fairer to look at.
Some schools give out 4.0s. Others don't.
DAT scores must be more important.
They are standardized for a reason :)

Im in the same boat as most responding to this post. I graduated and then came back to school to get the pre-requisites and thats why my science and BCP are higher than my overall. Simply_Unique thanks for your good post about your meeting with the dean, that encouraging. doc3232, I agree that the DAT is a standardized way to test an applicants capabilities but at the same time its a one day test whereas your GPA is for most a 4 year commitment.

That isn't fair. DAT scores are much fairer to look at.
Some schools give out 4.0s. Others don't.
DAT scores must be more important.
They are standardized for a reason :)

I totally agree (then again this is also mostly due to the fact that my GPA is unbelievably low). But it's also very frustrating to see people with 3.7s and up getting 18 and below on the DAT. I really don't understand how you're able to achieve a 3.7 gpa, but not able to get above 18 on a section on the DAT...it just doesn't add up at all.

I totally agree (then again this is also mostly due to the fact that my GPA is unbelievably low). But it's also very frustrating to see people with 3.7s and up getting 18 and below on the DAT. I really don't understand how you're able to achieve a 3.7 gpa, but not able to get above 18 on a section on the DAT...it just doesn't add up at all.

All depends on the school, mine gives 10-15% A's. Then I hear of some schools that give out 40-60% A's and easier schools. They get a 4.0 without trying. A 4.0 gpa should not be attainable.

All depends on the school, mine gives 10-15% A's. Then I hear of some schools that give out 40-60% A's and easier schools. They get a 4.0 without trying. A 4.0 gpa should not be attainable.

Then you also have to realize many schools grade on curves...so a not so bright school would be giving 4.0s to 80%+...while the larger universities will be giving 4.0s to 93%+...really unfair. It's hundreds of times easier to score above an 80 in a class than it is a 93. which is why I think DAT gives low gpa'ers a chance to justify that they belong.

?Why not? If you were at the top 15% in all your classes, boom 4.0!

But it's also very frustrating to see people with 3.7s and up getting 18 and below on the DAT. I really don't understand how you're able to achieve a 3.7 gpa, but not able to get above 18 on a section on the DAT...it just doesn't add up at all.

I'm not sure about other people, but I am very aware when I am studying for the DAT that it goes against every technique I have used to succeed in undergrad. I have found the best way for me to study is to stay on top of the material throughout the semester and then study it all in 2-4 days max before the exam. I don't do this because I am lazy or too busy partying lol.. but I've just found that if I study more in advance then I end up forgetting it anyways! So studying material two months before the test (i.e. in the case of the DAT) I find to be extremely challenging because I find that I do not retain the material and have to continuously go over it..

Not that I am complaining or using "how I usually study" as an excuse, as everyone will approach how they study in different ways! But I just wanted to comment, at least from my experience, how someone with a high GPA can study hard and just do average on the DAT, as my study methods are much more successful in university than they are/will ever be on the DAT :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm not sure about other people, but I am very aware when I am studying for the DAT that it goes against every technique I have used to succeed in undergrad. I have found the best way for me to study is to stay on top of the material throughout the semester and then study it all in 2-4 days max before the exam. I don't do this because I am lazy or too busy partying lol.. but I've just found that if I study more in advance then I end up forgetting it anyways! So studying material two months before the test (i.e. in the case of the DAT) I find to be extremely challenging because I find that I do not retain the material and have to continuously go over it..

Not that I am complaining or using "how I usually study" as an excuse, as everyone will approach how they study in different ways! But I just wanted to comment, at least from my experience, how someone with a high GPA can study hard and just do average on the DAT, as my study methods are much more successful in university than they are/will ever be on the DAT :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree

I have the same problem >< my sci gpa is 02 higher than non-sci, so it change my overall gpa:confused:

I have the same problem >< my sci gpa is 02 higher than non-sci, so it change my overall gpa:confused:

Having a higher science GPA than overall GPA is not a problem. Having a overall GPA<3.0 with a science GPA >3.0 might be a problem.