Higher Stats = Expidited App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatewaiting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard this from other students at my school, but I have a hard time believing it. Do schools expedite the processing of applicants with higher stats (maybe > 3.9, 35?)

spelling...errr

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It wouldn't necessarily be expediting, but I assume they do get looked at. LizzyM (an adcom who posts on here) says that with modern electronic applications they can quickly sift through and find the best applications to look at first. So in that way, yes, they would be "expedited," while the poorer applicants would be looked at later.

I heard the dean of an allopathic medical school address the subject, and he indicated that, at least at his school, the admissions committee groups together applications based on GPA and MCAT then subsequently evaluates the best scores first. He said this was because the office wants to group people together on interviews with relatively similar abilities (so they can evaluate them accordingly, I guess?), but I suspect that the practice occurs because they want to get the best students admitted first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the dean of an allopathic medical school address the subject, and he indicated that, at least at his school, the admissions committee groups together applications based on GPA and MCAT then subsequently evaluates the best scores first. He said this was because the office wants to group people together on interviews with relatively similar abilities (so they can evaluate them accordingly, I guess?), but I suspect that the practice occurs because they want to get the best students admitted first.

I hope they do that everywhere because I'd hate to have an interview date with a bunch of 4.0, 41 pre-meds who have done research since age 5 and have personally saved hundreds of children from third world countries. After interviewing all of them, they'd meet me and be like "slacker!"

OP, I currently have 2 interviews and have a 3.7 overall, 3.9 science, and 31 MCAT.

I think this may be true for some schools, but not others.

Oh well.

:luck:

OP, I currently have 2 interviews and have a 3.7 overall, 3.9 science, and 31 MCAT.

I think this may be true for some schools, but not others.

Oh well.

:luck:

But you have an avatar of a Red Swingline Stapler, that is major app points.