Highest paying hospitalist gigs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cureious

Cureious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most money you can make for hospitalist gigs?

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who has been making 600k plus per year, for the past few years working a lot. I know quite a few making over 4.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Suburb areas that are 20-30 miles out from my big city center (>1 million population) I get night shift and daytime admitter rates of 200-275/hr. Highest I got was 300/hr for a last minute fill. Not locums, all I did was aggressively ask around multiple hospitals if there was any moonlighting needs. I work a ton (~200 hr/mo) and have been clearing 45 to 50k a month (pretax)

Previous city I lived in, the highest rate I got was 175/hr for night shift. Geography matters a lot.

Anyway to answer your question specifically and “realistically.” If someone worked all 365 days in a year at 12 hr shifts of 250/hr rate, that comes out to 1.1million.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I live downtown top 10 population Midwest city. Hospital 15 min drive from condo. After PTO and sick days accounted for and pace of moonlighting (4-5 extra shifts month at roughly $1800 per shift, no overnights, only day shifts and swing shifts -10 hours each ), work about 210 shifts a year. Base salary $260K. Clear about $400K with bonus and moonlighting pay included this year. Not making $600K-$1mil like by fellowship trained friends in cardiology and GI. But I think I have the lowest stress job by far. Feel very lucky. Look for good groups they are definitely out there.

Reactions: 11 users
What do you do for the purposes of insurance and credentialing? (just self-insure, and do all the credentialing paperwork yourself for each hospital?)

I hold two base pay part time jobs and moonlighting privileges at hospitals within the same network of each.

6 shifts part time at one, 7 shifts at the other. 180/hr base, becomes 200/hr after hitting quality/productivity targets. Then I moonlight whatever I feel like at either system’s hospitals.

In this way I don’t worry about insurance, as I’m covered by the two different hospital systems already. Credentialing was not a pain at all (at least compared to my past hospital gigs in a different city)

Note: the part time jobs are nocturnist. Day time position rates are obviously much lower.

I hold two base pay part time jobs and moonlighting privileges at hospitals within the same network of each.

6 shifts part time at one, 7 shifts at the other. 180/hr base, becomes 200/hr after hitting quality/productivity targets. Then I moonlight whatever I feel like at either system’s hospitals.

In this way I don’t worry about insurance, as I’m covered by the two different hospital systems already. Credentialing was not a pain at all (at least compared to my past hospital gigs in a different city)

Note: the part time jobs are nocturnist. Day time position rates are obviously much lower.
Are you in a big city?

Why not work for one hospital system full time, and moonlight within it's network? Any particular advantage to the 'part-time' model?

Diversity of income sources, was able to aggressively negotiate rates between each other to par.

Major con: lack of control over much of your schedule. In the long term I will likely switch to full time to one of them in a couple years

What is the most money you can make for hospitalist gigs?

I'm a nocturnist in a community hospital in the northeast working about 55-60 hours a week. I make around 550K a year. I definitely pick up several extra shifts a month but still make time to go out to a restaurant every week and have been able to travel abroad on a monthly basis. You could easily exceed 600K if you wanted to work as much as in residency.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a contract offer from a national hospitalist group staffing a 260-bed hospital.
Their pay is slightly above average for the geographic region; reportedly, they only have 10 hour shift and have a low census; However, the lawyer from the hospitalist group basically refused to negotiate any change in the contract (termination clause, sick leave, including provision for bonus and raise, and increasing a sign on bonus, loan repayment)

The hospital recently got brought by a top 15 health system, and I really like the group, geography, and the medical director.
The big caveat is that the contract is highly employer-side (no waiver of due process, lengthly termination clauses, potentially limited outside moonlighting); And if the job doesn't go well, will put me a terrible spot.

I want to see being for the top 15 health system will open door for leadership position down the road. And whether working for a good director can compensate for a horrible contract.

I just received a contract offer from a national hospitalist group staffing a 260-bed hospital.
Their pay is slightly above average for the geographic region; reportedly, they only have 10 hour shift and have a low census; However, the lawyer from the hospitalist group basically refused to negotiate any change in the contract (termination clause, sick leave, including provision for bonus and raise, and increasing a sign on bonus, loan repayment)

What exactly are you asking for?

What exactly are you asking for?

Whether working for a top 15 health system, in the setting of a bad contract, will open the door for further career opportunities (leadership, academic), down the road.

Whether working for a top 15 health system, in the setting of a bad contract, will open the door for further career opportunities (leadership, academic), down the road.

I feel like you could do a little shopping around and still find better. There are nice hospitals in suburbs near major cities with leadership opportunities and that won't shaft you professionally or financially.

I'm a nocturnist in a community hospital in the northeast working about 55-60 hours a week. I make around 550K a year. I definitely pick up several extra shifts a month but still make time to go out to a restaurant every week and have been able to travel abroad on a monthly basis. You could easily exceed 600K if you wanted to work as much as in residency.
How can you travel abroad working 60 hour weeks? Just a quick weekend jaunt or something?

BALLER

How can you travel abroad working 60 hour weeks? Just a quick weekend jaunt or something?

60 hours a week is obviously averaged over the month. 20 12-hour shifts a month= 240 hours monthly= 60 hours weekly. That leaves me with 10-11 days off. I largely get to set my own schedule- I'll usually work 4-6 night stretches with a day or two off in between except for that monthly trip, where I'll usually schedule 4-5 days at a time if I'm a direct flight away, or a week if I'm going to Europe. If I want to go away for longer than a week some month, I'll just pick up less extra shifts.

Presumably this means working 60 hours a week (on the weeks that you actually work) and then travelling on weeks off.

I work around 250 hours a month, 3000 hours yearly. Over 52 weeks it averages out to 57.7 hours weekly.

Can one get a hospitalist job working 4 days straight (Mon thru Thursday 7A-7P) and still make the average salary (250k-260k)? Not talking about saturated markets here like NY city, Boston, southern California, south Florida etc...

Can one get a hospitalist job working 4 days straight (Mon thru Thursday 7A-7P) and still make the average salary (250k-260k)? Not talking about saturated markets here like NY city, Boston, southern California, south Florida etc...
I find it doubtful but I could be wrong. I've seen M-F, 7 on 7 off, and set shifts per month but the last option usually has a set number of required weekends and/or off shifts. Would like to know more about unusual shift arrangements for research purposes tho

That’s ~16 days a month so the hours work out , maybe if you found a place using a lot of locums anyway or if you found someone who inexplicably wanted to work fri-sun every week and you both showed up as a package deal

Presumably this means working 60 hours a week (on the weeks that you actually work) and then travelling on weeks off.
That’s what didn’t make sense to be since that’s 5 out of 7 days worked so how can you save up days to take them off together unless you do 5 on 1 off all the other weeks? I guess it’s possible but not my cup of tea. I work 3 days a week for a more than half the pay so it seems we get the same per hour but they’re working about one and a half FT positions. Either way you need to be pretty hardcore to keep that up long term. A few of my colleagues tried it and they all gave up after two months

Highest hourly rate I made was $190 an hour with double pay for some days that were late notice or holidays.

That job was TERRIBLE to the point where each day I was worried about a lawsuit. There is a reason why they were willing to pay so much money.

I ran far and fast away from that hospital.