Highest score possibe....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatdapho

MS-I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask everyone about their ideal score on the MCAT and what it meant in terms of applying to various med schools.... do you guys want to score high so you can get into a top notch medical school or are you guys like me and hoping to get a descent score and apply to any school that will take my scrummy score....or are you guys somewhere in the middle...gosh i hate verbal...and no i didn't read the WSJ given to me by princeton...

Members don't see this ad.

I came to the test with high hopes, but right now my feeling is that if I get a 30, I will be pleased with it and will not retake it in August. Next year they will have many more test dates (I think they have one in January). We'll see... I thought life is going to boring after the MCAT but it only became more interesting, becasue I still have something to look forward to :)

QofQuimica said:
They must agree with you, because they rejected me. :smuggrin: ;)

All joking aside, no MCAT score makes you too good for any medical school. The MCAT is a means to an end, but it isn't an end unto itself. One thing this application process very quickly teaches most of us is how unextraordinary we really are. (Or maybe it is more correct to say how extraordinary all of your co-applicants are.) Take just about anything on my application (ok, besides my MCAT score :p ), and I promise you that some of you have done the same thing, only better. You guys are very MCAT-centric right now, which is understandable since you just took it. But try to always remember that the MCAT is only one small piece of the application puzzle. Most current medical students didn't score 40+ on the MCAT, and they still make it through (and into) med school just fine, and will go on to successfully become physicians. And in the end, isn't that the ultimate goal for most of us?

I couldn't agree more. I've personally know people with 40+ MCAT scores and have gotten rejected to good schools. Also if you read some mdapps profiles you'll see that a high GPA and MCAT can only get you so far. Numbers don't seem to mean much if you don't have a good interview and/or personal statement.

QofQuimica said:
They must agree with you, because they rejected me. :smuggrin: ;)

All joking aside, no MCAT score makes you too good for any medical school. The MCAT is a means to an end, but it isn't an end unto itself. One thing this application process very quickly teaches most of us is how unextraordinary we really are. (Or maybe it is more correct to say how extraordinary all of your co-applicants are.) Take just about anything on my application (ok, besides my MCAT score :p ), and I promise you that some of you have done the same thing, only better. You guys are very MCAT-centric right now, which is understandable since you just took it. But try to always remember that the MCAT is only one small piece of the application puzzle. Most current medical students didn't score 40+ on the MCAT, and they still make it through (and into) med school just fine, and will go on to successfully become physicians. And in the end, isn't that the ultimate goal for most of us?

I think its stressing them out right now because of this waiting game. That's always the hardest part of the admissions process. Whether it is waiting for scores or for interviews or for status post interview or getting off waitlists. Its the stressful part.

But as another example for you guys, I remember last year when wetlightning was freaking out over a 33 on her MCAT in a funny sort of way. She had 35+ on diags, and so was stressed. She recently posted about acceptance at Hopkins and Umich full scholarship. You don't need 35+ to get in a top school all the time. Other things matter like research and clinical experience and your GPA and unique things you've done like dance or theater or sports, etc.