Highest TPR Diag vs. Real Thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrielSeptum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some of you guys post your scores of what you got on your highest TPR diagnostic test vs. what you got on the real test? I know the first TPR diagnostic scores tend to be low, but I wonder about after people adjust to them, to see how the overall TPR scores, and the highest TPR scores relate to the real thing. Thanks guys!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the real thing, but, highest TPR diag can be a little misleading b/c there are 1 or 2 of them that are actually easy, while there are quite a few that are extremely difficult. The one thing that is consistently difficult with TPR is the verbal. I find it to be terribly difficult.

summer of 2006

tpr diagnostics of 17,18,24
AAMC's (29-33)
Real thing 31R

I took the AAMC's after the tpr's and therefore had covered more if not all the material i needed to cover while the TPR's were taken at the start of the course and halfway through..... so not as crazy a comparison as it may seem.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st TPR diagnostic: 23 (verbal 10)
2nd TPR diagnostic: 24 (verbal 9)

Actually, I'm mostly getting screwed on the PS section, even tho' I feel really comfortable with physics, but not that comfortable with bio. Also, verbal seems easier than EK verbal (but I think I'm the only one who feels this way??).

I have yet to take any AAMC tests, so... we'll see how that goes.

summer of 2006

tpr diagnostics of 17,18,24
AAMC's (29-33)
Real thing 31R

I took the AAMC's after the tpr's and therefore had covered more if not all the material i needed to cover while the TPR's were taken at the start of the course and halfway through..... so not as crazy a comparison as it may seem.

how did you feel about the tpr's vs. the aamc tests? i've only taken 2 tpr practice tests so far and am not too pleased with my scores and improvement from one to the next after much studying. I'm hoping they are just hard... maybe wishful thinking from me

1st TPR diagnostic: 23 (verbal 10)
2nd TPR diagnostic: 24 (verbal 9)

Actually, I'm mostly getting screwed on the PS section, even tho' I feel really comfortable with physics, but not that comfortable with bio. Also, verbal seems easier than EK verbal (but I think I'm the only one who feels this way??).

I have yet to take any AAMC tests, so... we'll see how that goes.
Well, I don't know what to think of EK either. Sometimes I Think they're answer choices are too close, or too debatable, and that's why its hard to score high on some of their tests. I think that TPR is just difficult.

I think the TPR PS is more difficult that the AAMC's for the most part, but not drastically. So, I'm sure that'll come up.

My TPR's ranged from (TPR 3) 29-34 (TPR 5), GS I have 28,33,33,32, and my two AAMC's have be #3 = 31, and #5 = 34. The first test I ever took was AAMC 3.

Verbal was the biggest killer for me in TPR (averaged an 8), the PS can be rough though, and the BS is too easy on a couple. GS is hard and questionable on BS and PS; VR seems to be far too easy to me. My AAMC verbals were 9, and 11 respectively, my GS have been 12,12,11 for the last three (that's about 36/40) and my EK has been all over the place. I just finished like 13 EK passages with an average of 11 (almost 12), then I did 6 passages and averaged a 6!

The first two TPR's were tough....
the third one seemed more reasonable... however if I had done all the material and rewrote the first one maybe I would have done just as well... I really don't know..... but do expect improvement as you study.

How many TPR exams are there?

Do they come with the class?

Anyone interested in selling?

supafield said:
The first two TPR's were tough....
the third one seemed more reasonable... however if I had done all the material and rewrote the first one maybe I would have done just as well... I really don't know..... but do expect improvement as you study.
I never took 1 or 2, but it seemed like #2 was actually not that bad. I consistently see some of people's highest scores on that one, especially in Bio. I've seen a few 15s. So, 1 and 2 being hard may just be that they were the first ones most people took... hard to say. I only took 3,4,5,6,7, and I found the bio for #5 to be exceptionally easy.

BNSN said:
How many TPR exams are there?

Do they come with the class?

Anyone interested in selling?
There are 9 of them, they come with the class, but they're part of your online program and you can't access them without your username/password.

bump

i know tpr scores are lower. but how much lower?!?! this is depressing

The problem is TPR tests are traditionally available to TPR students.... and the class is set up so you take TPR diagnostics at the beginning and when you finish the course left with a few weeks remaining you move on to the AAMC's...

I think this is why it's tough to find people that wrote tpr diagnostics and aamc's with the same knowledge base

Lol and I'll use this opportunity to rant....

It's SO easy to get caught up in scores... I sure did my first time I wrote and even now I want to gauge myself.... but try to take the tests for what they are.... practice.... use them to really simulate the conditions....

The AAMC's will be your best predictor... so use those to gauge if you're in the right range that you're shooting for....

But how many times can you read on SDN....a 4-6 pt range from best aamc to worst aamc diagnostic....

I would generally say.... 75% or more of the time you'll be able to get +/- 2 from your aamc averages.... if you throw out external factors... like test day anxiety and stuff like that....

That leaves anywhere from 10-20% to drastically jump or fall....

So I reiterate... use them as guides.... let them show you where to target study.... but don't let an AAMC practice test lull you into a false sense of security.... I did the first time.... and that's a big reason I choked on my bio section (still got a 9)... however... the passages were like nothing I had ever seen.... I immediately thought this is not representative, I'm not sure how to do this spent 16 minutes on a 5 question passage that I couldn't comprehend and rushed..... I walked out after it and would have guessed I got a 6.... I really felt uncomfortable with the section....

The AAMC although questionable at times.... is still relatively fair... you have the ability to do as well as you have been doing unless on the off chance you hit all of your worst subjects.... but hopefully you have few of those going in....

My advice... don't worry about practice scores.... use them to show what you can potentially do... and to identify areas of weakness.... walk into the MCAT.... knowing that they can throw you something you've never seen.... but most likely no one else has seen it either... reason to the best of your ability and move on.... and you'll be ok... I can't stress how much a calm mind and confidence even with the trickiest material will help.

I actually started out with a 20 on my first TPR diag (3 months ago) and my most recent TPR diag (#7), I finished with a 31. I definately think the earlier TPR diags are much harder than the later ones and this is not simply because I am looking back in retrospect. I actually redid some of the earlier ones recently and they truly are a bit harder, especially the verbal. Anyways, with that said, my highest TPR diag has been a 31 and my highest AAMC practice test score has been a 35. We will see how the real deal goes on the 13th but you can expect at least a 2-3 point hike in score in my opinion. All of my friends who have taken the MCAT and prepared with the TPR have had very similar experiences.

My real score was 7 points above my highest TPR score....I found them really tough!

Lol and I'll use this opportunity to rant....

It's SO easy to get caught up in scores... I sure did my first time I wrote and even now I want to gauge myself.... but try to take the tests for what they are.... practice.... use them to really simulate the conditions....

The AAMC's will be your best predictor... so use those to gauge if you're in the right range that you're shooting for....

But how many times can you read on SDN....a 4-6 pt range from best aamc to worst aamc diagnostic....

I would generally say.... 75% or more of the time you'll be able to get +/- 2 from your aamc averages.... if you throw out external factors... like test day anxiety and stuff like that....

That leaves anywhere from 10-20% to drastically jump or fall....

So I reiterate... use them as guides.... let them show you where to target study.... but don't let an AAMC practice test lull you into a false sense of security.... I did the first time.... and that's a big reason I choked on my bio section (still got a 9)... however... the passages were like nothing I had ever seen.... I immediately thought this is not representative, I'm not sure how to do this spent 16 minutes on a 5 question passage that I couldn't comprehend and rushed..... I walked out after it and would have guessed I got a 6.... I really felt uncomfortable with the section....

The AAMC although questionable at times.... is still relatively fair... you have the ability to do as well as you have been doing unless on the off chance you hit all of your worst subjects.... but hopefully you have few of those going in....

My advice... don't worry about practice scores.... use them to show what you can potentially do... and to identify areas of weakness.... walk into the MCAT.... knowing that they can throw you something you've never seen.... but most likely no one else has seen it either... reason to the best of your ability and move on.... and you'll be ok... I can't stress how much a calm mind and confidence even with the trickiest material will help.
Thanks supafield. You're completely right. But, it's hard not to get caught up in the scores! I completely understand that my number one goal should be learning from my mistakes.
Now, I've heard everyone say that the tpr scores are 2-4 points lower than your aamc scores. But, I've been scoring about 7 pts lower in tpr :laugh: And, people say kaplan inflates your scores, but those are really, really similar to my aamc's. So, I want to know where I am! my scores are all over the place!

Thanks supafield. You're completely right. But, it's hard not to get caught up in the scores! I completely understand that my number one goal should be learning from my mistakes.
Now, I've heard everyone say that the tpr scores are 2-4 points lower than your aamc scores. But, I've been scoring about 7 pts lower in tpr :laugh: And, people say kaplan inflates your scores, but those are really, really similar to my aamc's. So, I want to know where I am! my scores are all over the place!

Don't worry I get caught up too.... I'm was a score ***** the first take...

But really.... take the AAMC's as your predictor...

This is even if there is an average difference from kaplan to tpr to kaplan.... difficulty and scaling may play a part in it... however different people are compiling these tests... it may just be that you don't respond well to princeton/kaplans writing.... if your aamc's are good then that's a good start...

and then the actual MCAT.... stay calm... it may look like an aamc or nothing you've ever seen before lol

Don't worry I get caught up too.... I'm was a score ***** the first take...

But really.... take the AAMC's as your predictor...

This is even if there is an average difference from kaplan to tpr to kaplan.... difficulty and scaling may play a part in it... however different people are compiling these tests... it may just be that you don't respond well to princeton/kaplans writing.... if your aamc's are good then that's a good start...

and then the actual MCAT.... stay calm... it may look like an aamc or nothing you've ever seen before lol
haha yeah. thanks supafield!