highligting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilubse7en

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm takning mcat fot the third time on 4/9, only 20 days left.
the reason i'm taking the test again is because 7 on verbal,
the problem is it has not improved ...
i took three practice tests so far,
aamc 9 10ps, 7 vr, 12 bs (29)
aamc 4 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs (35)
aamc 5 11 ps, 11 vr, 10 bs (32)

if you look at the practice tests, you would think that it as improved, but i took those tests exactly 1 year ago, so i might remember them, subconsciously, idk,

i've been doing a lot of verbal passages, been using highlighting tools, but the score has been fluctuating, sometimes 8 to 12...
so i recently started ek methods, no highlighting at all, i can't seem to focus, all my timing is off, and been missing alot more questions..
when will the whole focus thing kick in? i only have 20 days left, should i go back to highlighting???

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i'm takning mcat fot the third time on 4/9, only 20 days left.
the reason i'm taking the test again is because 7 on verbal,
the problem is it has not improved ...
i took three practice tests so far,
aamc 9 10ps, 7 vr, 12 bs (29)
aamc 4 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs (35)
aamc 5 11 ps, 11 vr, 10 bs (32)

if you look at the practice tests, you would think that it as improved, but i took those tests exactly 1 year ago, so i might remember them, subconsciously, idk,

i've been doing a lot of verbal passages, been using highlighting tools, but the score has been fluctuating, sometimes 8 to 12...
so i recently started ek methods, no highlighting at all, i can't seem to focus, all my timing is off, and been missing alot more questions..
when will the whole focus thing kick in? i only have 20 days left, should i go back to highlighting???

Are you using the 101 books?

The focus thing doesn't just 'kick in' by itself. You have to make it happen.

Are you running short of time or what?

when i am highlighting, i am literally hurry urge myself to finish reading the passage.
but when i am not highlighting, i am too focused on reading, that it actually takes longer to finish the passage, the problem is i still have hard time finishing the questions on time. i still have about 5 quesions to answer, so i'm definitely short on 5 to 6 mins without highlighting...

i mean, ek verbal strategy makes sense, highlighting pays too much focus on details and distracts me from knowing the main idea, but i am in so much a habit of highlighting that i feel vulnerable without it.

should i just stick with highlighting?

Stick with what works for you. Based on your scores it looks like you're fluctuating quite a bit on your verbal passages. Are you missing a few points from each passage or completely bombing one or two passages while getting perfects on all the others? Have you noticed a pattern on any specific types of passages that you tend to struggle with?

Personally I've never used the highlighting tool ever. I've found that jotting down a few notes and keypoints has always been better for me. But then again, different strategies work for different people.

Best of luck!