Highschool noob here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lebronjames

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt know where to post, so here it goes, take it easy on me

Can anyone get me started? I see alot of Premed and Med students here who are already in Unis and looking into getting into med school and such, but i can't find a forum where highschool students are looking into getting into a Uni, initiating his/her medical career?

Anyone willing to help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure you are going to find a high school pre-med forum anywhere, but I think you are in the right place. I have seen a lot of posts by high school students in here. As far as getting started, what do you need help with?

Alright, high school is extra-curriculars time. You should volunteer somewhere. Get a job. Double up on honors science courses and get them done early. Apply for research internships for summer, talk to your counselors to get started there. All of this builds up your resume, making it easier for you to do things in college: finding a research position for instance.

Other than that, it doesn't matter. Have a life so you don't burn out. Don't get arrested. Read all of your books, don't spark note anthing unless you have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
rcd said:
Alright, high school is extra-curriculars time. You should volunteer somewhere. Get a job. Double up on honors science courses and get them done early. Apply for research internships for summer, talk to your counselors to get started there. All of this builds up your resume, making it easier for you to do things in college: finding a research position for instance.

Other than that, it doesn't matter. Have a life so you don't burn out. Don't get arrested. Read all of your books, don't spark note anthing unless you have to.

Except to get into an undergrad school, I don't know about that. Research positions usually aren't THAT hard to get and I don't think they are worth killing yourself over. At the end of the day I think the clinical ec's probably carry the most weight and in my experience you can get that as long as you're not an ass, a minor, and/or a felon. Lastly, it seems like most of the time you can't put your highschool ec's on the medical apps.

To the OP, I think you should work to get into an undergrad school that is a good fit for you, take some challenging classes to build up your study skills, and when you do start college don't botch the freshman year on too many weekday parties, zero class attendance, etc.

Um, in highschool? I don't think you need to start volunteering.
Play sports. Play in band. Join some clubs. Smoke a doobie behind the bleachers. Don't get caught. Study the minimum, rock the SAT's. :)

rcd said:

Wow, you mean people actually do all of that stuff in high school? I did absolutely nothing in high school, took the lighest course load I could get away with, and spent the summers hanging with friends and playing sports. Now that I've completed two years of college, I don't think that hurt me in any way. My advice would be to just enjoy high school. There's plenty of time to worry about the academic/career stuff in college.

bbas said:
Wow, you mean people actually do all of that stuff in high school? I did absolutely nothing in high school, took the lighest course load I could get away with, and spent the summers hanging with friends and playing sports. Now that I've completed two years of college, I don't think that hurt me in any way. My advice would be to just enjoy high school. There's plenty of time to worry about the academic/career stuff in college.

Actually, after reading that site I linked to, I stand corrected. Talk about future gunners. :rolleyes:

lebronjames said:

Can anyone get me started? I see alot of Premed and Med students here who are already in Unis and looking into getting into med school and such, but i can't find a forum where highschool students are looking into getting into a Uni, initiating his/her medical career?

Really, just focus on getting into a university. Then you can start worrying about premed. If you're interested and want to see more, you can try to volunteer at a hospital or shadow, but unless you're taking college classes in high school, don't worry about it.

Where are you guys getting your research positions? I did "nothing" in high school, giving me no resume, and I'm having a heckuva time getting into research without one.

I haven't done research before, but I'm going to go ask my professors and see if that works out. If not... I guess I just won't have research experience.

rcd said:

Absurd. A kid in H.S. should worry about getting into a good college. Undergrads or med schools certainly do not expect anybody to do research in high-school. Come on, under-undergrad research?

To the OP: Go to a college you like. If you want, make a rough 4-year plan. Get to know the sequences of events that goes down in pre-med. But you're still in high-school, so you can only fantasize about medical school at this point. I did it in H.S. (still do). P.S. the chicks don't get any better looking than in H.S... Hit it while you still can.

edit: again, whotf does research in H.S????? I can't even remember what classes I took in high school.

i think that you could get a lot of your questions answered here..i think it is kind of hard to find groups like this for hs students. i also agree with the people that have posted already...have fun while you can! i did start volunteering in high school..but only in the summers and one day a week so it was really nothing. i think the best thing i did was go to NYLF. it was this week trip to chicago where i got to spend time with medical students and doctors..it was a lot of fun and i actually made some of my first 'connections' there. that was the summer between my junior and senior year i think...maybe you could check out programs like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
kovalchuk said:
Absurd. A kid in H.S. should worry about getting into a good college. Undergrads or med schools certainly do not expect anybody to do research in high-school. Come on, under-undergrad research?

To the OP: Go to a college you like. If you want, make a rough 4-year plan. Get to know the sequences of events that goes down in pre-med. But you're still in high-school, so you can only fantasize about medical school at this point. I did it in H.S. (still do). P.S. the chicks don't get any better looking than in H.S... Hit it while you still can.

edit: again, whotf does research in H.S????? I can't even remember what classes I took in high school.

I totally agree. And about smoking a doobie behind the bleachers, and not getting caught. You have to live your life a little before you start this wacky process, otherwise you'll either become a very annoying over-achiever or go nuts and drop out. My advice:

1. Get good enough grades to get into college, duh.

2. Take AP Bio and Chem., and Physics if possible. College classes are competitive and it will give you a leg up or at least make freshman year a little easier. Plus, your AP grades are insignificant compared to your Pre-Med requirements, so...do it!

3. You might want to consider a university that has a med-school or a relatively established science program so that:
A) You have respected, or at least legitimate, science professors, and B) You have the option of doing research in college.
I was debating between USC and a small liberal arts school, and this wasn't something I considered at the time but I definitely made the right decision in retrospect.
(However, don’t worry about prestige. How much college “reputation” helps in this process is questionable, and in my opinion, not a very important factor.)

Otherwise, don't stress too much. You'll get in somewhere and it will be fun. You'll have plenty of time to stress about more important things later in life.

lebronjames said:

if you are really sure you want to go into medicine, some undergrads work in conjuction with medical schools to offer 6, 7, or 7 year BS-MD programs. Although most of them have residency restrictions it something to look into! If I knew about them coming out of high school, I definately would have applied!!!

I think volunteering in high school is a great idea too. I know someone mentioned it on the thread, but a lot of people do volunteer in high school. Most high schools have a community service requirement to graduate (I know I did). But just have some fun in high school!

Enjoy it!
Volunteer and get into a decent college.

You must start prepping for the MCAT....NOW!!!!! Also, I would suggest starting work on that Nobel Prize....seriously, come back in 3 years

There are some undergrad programs with a short track to med school. Prepare yourself now the very best you can for college admissions. I don't recall all of the schools, but UW Madison has a "med scholar program". Very strict admission standards and you have to qualify with high GPA and test scores to apply to it. If admitted it has advantages to help you prepare for med school and it gives you a "conditional" seat in their med school class based upon your undergraduate performance. I'd look into programs similar to this now and maybe you can find one at a school you'd like to attend.

can't agree more with everyone else. Do well in school, get into a good college (i.e. almost any state school or a decent private) and HAVE FUN. Most people are apprehensive to even put stuff they did in HS on their med school apps, and you should have enough in college without it. Concentrate on grades and having fun freshman year, and then start to look for volunteering/shadowing, etc. spring frosh year into early sophomore year. Only thing you might want to get started now is if you're considering being an EMT (which I think is the coolest way to get medical experience). In that case, look to take the class right after you graduate (i think you have to be 18), and check on your campus to see if they have an EMS organization.

Some schools have career centers which invite people from various professions to give talks to interested students, allow half day or full day shadowing, etc. So if your school has such programs, you should take advantage of it and explore to see if the medical profession is truly what you are interested in.

play alot of video games.
no, but seriously, take AP classes, don't kill yourself, play sports because thats the only thing anyone cares about in high school. Uh... I recommend refraining from drinking or smoking the doobie... although I love it... it could spiral out of control in college if you already have a solid base in substance abuse. ON THE other hand, the worst alchoholics I saw in college never drank before, so take that for what you will.... eh... If your dedicated you'll make it, just don't cheat and don't get arrested.

Break up with any significant others before entering college. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I think that's the best advice I've ever given on this forum.

Ok, first things first. Before you even think about going to medical school, you need to do other things first. Did you attend prom? Did you even have a first kiss? Did you ever fore play with the opposite sex? Have you ever been on a date? Have you ever passed a football or thrown a baseball? Have you ever been outside of your own state (without your parents)? Have you ever talked to a doctor before? Have you ever even applied for colleges? Have you ever thought of a plan B? Do you even realize what the typical pre-med acts like (most people don't like how pre-meds act)? Have you ever tried drinking a beer? Have you ever been to a sporting event? Have you ever read a book outside of class? Do you want to become a doctor just to have money and brag to people that you are a doctor ( the average Joe of the street doesn’t care that you are a doctor…society has changed)? Have you ever been to a hospital? You should LIVE life before going to medical school. Otherwise you end up with a skewed vision of the world.

lebronjames said:

ADeadLois said:
Break up with any significant others before entering college. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I think that's the best advice I've ever given on this forum.

Yeah, unless you want to try to explain to long distance boyfriend (who is still in high-school) that the reason you didn't return his call on Saturday morning and that your roommates weren't sure where you were was because you met this guy in your dorm, Mike, from Chicago, and you had a sleep-over, so to speak.

I'm just saying.

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah, unless you want to try to explain to long distance boyfriend (who is still in high-school) that the reason you didn't return his call on Saturday morning and that your roommates weren't sure where you were was because you met this guy in your dorm, Mike, from Chicago, and you had a sleep-over, so to speak.

I'm just saying.

jackie, you bad girl ;)

geno2568 said:
jackie, you bad girl ;)

WHAT? :eek: It was strictly a metaphor or something. I'm just saying.

Okay, it wasn't. I got to explain to my ex that I met this guy, and well, um, I thought maybe he should start seeing other people, too, (since I already had), and um, yeah. Keep in mind that some of us had sleepovers that were DEFINITELY cheating on our hs boyfs that didn't include sex but were definitely NOT the kind of thing you should do if you have a hs boyf at home. :D

EDIT: OP, leave the high school romances in high school. You'll thank me later. I never thought things would happen like they did, and didn't think for a second that I would show up at college and get guy attention.

thanks for all your replies, except that dude who said did you have foreplay, sex blah blah all irrelevant questions

I do get good grades, straight A's in fact, but i know that %'s matter more than just "grades"

im also a Canadian student, my friend has volunteered at a Blood Donor service place, maybe i could join him? Would that be helpful?

I play sports, i used to play football, but daily practices just got in academics way so i switched to golfing and soccer

I'm looking to go to an Ivy League, don't laugh, so im trying as hard as i can in HS

going into grade 11 right now, still got 2 years left.

LOL. You are so young. Come back in 4 years when you have actually lived outside of your mom and dads control and see if you still have the same interest.

By the way, I was telling to live life. You switching sports becasue it was hard work and took time away from your studies is the easy way out. You won't make it in this world by taking the easy way out. You will only be AVERAGE by taking the easy way out.

lebronjames said:
thanks for all your replies, except that dude who said did you have foreplay, sex blah blah all irrelevant questions

I do get good grades, straight A's in fact, but i know that %'s matter more than just "grades"

im also a Canadian student, my friend has volunteered at a Blood Donor service place, maybe i could join him? Would that be helpful?

I play sports, i used to play football, but daily practices just got in academics way so i switched to golfing and soccer

I'm looking to go to an Ivy League, don't laugh, so im trying as hard as i can in HS

going into grade 11 right now, still got 2 years left.

Just "by the way" - Some people from early on are so intent on medicine that they will never change their paths, so I think we should give these "young gunners" a bit of good advice rather than just saying "come back in 4 years when you REALLY know what you want". Thats the kind of canned answer I got, even freshamn year in college, and it didn't help me at all by the way. Someone should just have said "go buy a book on it at your local bookstore"
That, by the way, is my adivce, Go buy the Barrons Guide to Medical and Dental schools, its got the entire career path laid out for you and what you should do in high school as well. Stick with it if it's your dream, and planning early doesn't hurt if you keep up your "having fun" responsabilities as a high school student. Finally
Don't get arrested
Don't cheat

You should have fun in life and not making every choice in life reflecting how it will affect your chances of getting into medical school. Those are the type of people who are crappy to be around when they are 50 and 60 years old. They didn't live life and regret it later.

Just so you know high school kid, your accomplishments in high school mean very little, worth about $0.01 once you are out of high school and into the real world (even when you are an undergraduate you are not in the real world).

There are so many high school kids who have such high goals and just crash when they get into their 20's. The big reason for this is they had it easy in high school and take the easy way out with things and never have to work to succeed at an early age because everything came easy, or their parents did everything for them. Switching sports just so you have more study time sounds like a rich pompous ass. I would applaud you more for playing football and getting A's then switching to golf (LOL) so you have more study time. LOL. You have so much to learn about the real world.

I can just see it. Mom, I need more time to study to learn what an atom and a molecule is for my chemistry class. Can I quit the football team so I can spend more time in my bedroom and the library with my head in the textbook and switch to golf where I have more time for putting my head in the textbook? The mom goes, sure!!!!!!!!!

My parents would have kicked me in the ass and told me to get my lazy ass out on the football field and learn how to become a man and not some academic dweeb that won't be able to handle the real world.

You learn more about life playing football then you do golf. You don't learn how to communicate with others, don't work as a team, don't have a role in a team, you don't grow to learn how to trust others, you are not called upon to be a leader or hold responsibility, and so many other things you learn about playing football versus playing golf.

So my advice to you is go to the prom, go out on a date, play a team sport, have a beer, explore the opposite sex (don’t get in a serious relationship though at this age if you want to be successful), do some community service, take basic science classes and a couple of AP classes if your schedule allows it, go visit a local hospital and do some shadowing. Don’t bother doing research as a high school kid. Do that when you get into college. Chances are you won’t even understand what is going on in the lab as a high school kid. Yes a person can give you a protocol to follow but I bet you could not explain to the PI why you use what you use in the protocol and how everything works and how the question you are researching (some say asking) in any detail what would be beneficial to society.

Once you get into college then you can shape your life around getting into medical school.

By the way, start studying for the MCAT now or you will never get a 40. LOL

chewsnuffles said:
Just "by the way" - Some
people from early on are so intent on medicine that they will never change their paths, so I think we should give these "young gunners" a bit of good advice rather than just saying "come back in 4 years when you REALLY know what you want". Thats the kind of canned answer I got, even freshamn year in college, and it didn't help me at all by the way. Someone should just have said "go buy a book on it at your local bookstore"
That, by the way, is my adivce, Go buy the Barrons Guide to Medical and Dental schools, its got the entire career path laid out for you and what you should do in high school as well. Stick with it if it's your dream, and planning early doesn't hurt if you keep up your "having fun" responsabilities as a high school student. Finally
Don't get arrested
Don't cheat

I agree except for on thing, and I'm interested to see what you say...
the thing about football might be a little off, because you know how big HS football teams are, and how many players are able to do "next to nothing", while there are all stars with better physiques out there.
I wouldn't know though, and I'm sure hard work in the weight room would pay off, but "IF" this kid is trying to make it big in golf or something, that would be ok too. I think doing something your passionate about is always better than just being a bench warmer. Sorry, but screw this "your part of a team" crap, in high school atleast you gotta build your ego a bit, I don't care if you warm the bench for a DI college team, thats compleatly different.
But whatever you do, give it your all, and let it carry through into college, especially if its sports. Don't drop sports in college just because you don't think you have time, BECAUSE if you do it when college starts, you are effectively giving them up for the rest of your life, just know that.
No one picks up sports again after college really... then its work time.
The athletic habits you have in college stick with you the rest of your life.

get in to harvard yale or princeton. you'll get into med school no sweat

read any bit of advice, and the odds are against if you don't go to one of the BIG THREE best schools in the world.

by the way, 99% of everyone on here never got into a top college so don't take their advice.

as you will see, many people wish they went to harvard/yale/princeton to better their lives.

I was here when i was 15 and a lot of ppl told me crappy advice, but some good. i even paid $7.50 for a badge.

just immerse yourself in sick people to make sure that is what you want to do... maybe buy some urine scented cologne. i don't think many people are going to care what you did in high school by the time you graduate from college... the farther away you get from a level of school, the less anything you did there will matter.

then go to college where you'll have fun and get a *decent* education, wherever that is... but don't assume paying top dollar at an expensive school will help your chances in getting into medical school by itself. and don't fall into a trap where you have so much debt that you feel like you have to go into certain specialities just to make it worth the investment.

now back to online poker and beer
1 week before classes start back ;)

SUMMER 2006 continues. i'm literally off for 1/4 this year since my school owns. i go back in like 2 months

amnesia said:
get in to harvard yale or princeton. you'll get into med school no sweat

read any bit of advice, and the odds are against if you don't go to one of the BIG THREE best schools in the world.
Thats funny, I never noticed numbers at all close to 100% for those schools med school acceptances, infact, they were lower than many other schools if I remember correctly. Of course those are good schools, but ya gotta get the MCAT's too, etc.

If you're 100% certain you want to go to med school, I wouldn't go to an Ivy. Why make yourself work that hard? A ton of kids going to those schools are going to be smarter that you, and it will be difficult to do as well as you did in high-school, which is probably a breeze. I'd go to a lesser, but still excellent school where you could stand out. They'll probably throw you a ton of money as well.

jonathon said:
You should have fun in life and not making every choice in life reflecting how it will affect your chances of getting into medical school. Those are the type of people who are crappy to be around when they are 50 and 60 years old. They didn't live life and regret it later.

Just so you know high school kid, your accomplishments in high school mean very little, worth about $0.01 once you are out of high school and into the real world (even when you are an undergraduate you are not in the real world).

There are so many high school kids who have such high goals and just crash when they get into their 20's. The big reason for this is they had it easy in high school and take the easy way out with things and never have to work to succeed at an early age because everything came easy, or their parents did everything for them. Switching sports just so you have more study time sounds like a rich pompous ass. I would applaud you more for playing football and getting A's then switching to golf (LOL) so you have more study time. LOL. You have so much to learn about the real world.

I can just see it. Mom, I need more time to study to learn what an atom and a molecule is for my chemistry class. Can I quit the football team so I can spend more time in my bedroom and the library with my head in the textbook and switch to golf where I have more time for putting my head in the textbook? The mom goes, sure!!!!!!!!!

My parents would have kicked me in the ass and told me to get my lazy ass out on the football field and learn how to become a man and not some academic dweeb that won't be able to handle the real world.

You learn more about life playing football then you do golf. You don't learn how to communicate with others, don't work as a team, don't have a role in a team, you don't grow to learn how to trust others, you are not called upon to be a leader or hold responsibility, and so many other things you learn about playing football versus playing golf.

So my advice to you is go to the prom, go out on a date, play a team sport, have a beer, explore the opposite sex (don’t get in a serious relationship though at this age if you want to be successful), do some community service, take basic science classes and a couple of AP classes if your schedule allows it, go visit a local hospital and do some shadowing. Don’t bother doing research as a high school kid. Do that when you get into college. Chances are you won’t even understand what is going on in the lab as a high school kid. Yes a person can give you a protocol to follow but I bet you could not explain to the PI why you use what you use in the protocol and how everything works and how the question you are researching (some say asking) in any detail what would be beneficial to society.

Once you get into college then you can shape your life around getting into medical school.

By the way, start studying for the MCAT now or you will never get a 40. LOL
You're just saying that cause you are biased against golfing and all for football.

Your advice has been useless with all the LOLs, sorry.

everyone else, thanks for your kind advices. That last one about going into a non Ivy league school to stand out really did STAND out to me out of all advices.

Thanks everyone (cept jonathon)

jackieMD2007 said:

I'm just saying.

Haha, just read this... :laugh:

Oh, and Lebron, Jonathon is absolutely right. Blunt, but right. Making decisions with regards to trying to get accepted to medical school before college (including selecting a college for that purpose) is a huge mistake. That's a nearly unanimous opinion on this forum.

Take a wide arrange of all classes remeber College should be your 1st priority not med school get into a college you like then take the pre-reqs. Oh and join clubs and do competitons.

Those who listen to their elders come out wiser then those who don't listen to their elders. Keep that in mind!

lebronjames said:
You're just saying that cause you are biased against golfing and all for football.

Your advice has been useless with all the LOLs, sorry.

everyone else, thanks for your kind advices. That last one about going into a non Ivy league school to stand out really did STAND out to me out of all advices.

Thanks everyone (cept jonathon)

The best advice I could give you would be to do what you enjoy. It's a cliche, but life is short, and you never know what could happen. So enjoy what you do, get good grades, don't get in trouble, make lots of friends, get involved in activities, volunteer. High school will probably be the last four years of your life when you won't have to worry about anything and where you will be entirely supported by your family and friends. You won't have much responsibilities to worry about until you get to college.
I agree with Jonathon here on doing team sports, as you will form team bonds and learn about teamwork, which is invaluable. But do it only if you love the sport. What you do in high school will most likely have no repercussions to you later in college and later in life, so do whatever you want and enjoy it. Don't play golf just because it might give you more time to study, play golf because you enjoy it.
No one is ever going to care what you did in high school, whether you were prom king or the star track athlete. But that's invaluable life experience that you will enjoy.

Don't think about medical school. You're still a long way from it. What you need to concentrate on is on building good study habits and get into the college of your choice. Then you can explore the medical field more if that's still what you want to do. Don't go into high school with the sole view of becoming a doctor, learn more about the other things out there and become well rounded.

Good luck with everything.

Oh and yeah, don't get arrested. That's pretty much universal advice ;)

I think I can relate to you in quite a few ways. I knew I wanted to be a doctor, and I planned college with med school on my mind.

I didn't read every post here, but from the few I read, most of what people were telling you about experimenting with all that stuff is garbage. If that's not you, don't bother. Experiencing life is doing whatever you enjoy doing; if that's doing school & other "wholesome" activities, more power to you.

Check out med schools while still in HS and visit one if you get the chance. Ivy Leage is great, but most of them will tell you that <for the most part> it doesn't matter where you go to college. What matters are your grades, MCATs, EC's (extra-curriculars), and how much they like you. :)

Keep up the good work, get good grades, do well on standardized test, and work hard in college.

alpinesunrise said:
I think I can relate to you in quite a few ways. I knew I wanted to be a doctor, and I planned college with med school on my mind.

I didn't read every post here, but from the few I read, most of what people were telling you about experimenting with all that stuff is garbage. If that's not you, don't bother. Experiencing life is doing whatever you enjoy doing; if that's doing school & other "wholesome" activities, more power to you.

Check out med schools while still in HS and visit one if you get the chance. Ivy Leage is great, but most of them will tell you that <for the most part> it doesn't matter where you go to college. What matters are your grades, MCATs, EC's (extra-curriculars), and how much they like you. :)

Keep up the good work, get good grades, do well on standardized test, and work hard in college.
Thanks, great post :thumbup:

and to jonathon:
I play soccer, which takes as much teamwork skill, if not more, than football.
So you want me to do football cause it's a physical sport? I workout at a gym, that's good enough for me. Sure, coming home 3-4 hours after school every school day in your senior year is just priceless. :rolleyes:

I would suggest applying to alot of BS/MD programs. Itll save you ALOT of stress in the long run. But only do it if youre 100% set on medicine.

oh..and to go with a lot of the other people's relplies..you should check out a pre-med program that offers you acceptance into medschool right out of hs (unless you don't meet their requirements :( ). however, only do this if you are really certain about medcine as a future career...overall it would save a lot of time. i think that there is a lot of info out on the programs and a lot of schools have them..they are pretty great!