frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
Oct 27, 2012
Los Angeles
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello friends,
Let it be said that I am not one to bash nurses or really have a strong opinion in regards to a white coat, but I just heard a commercial on the radio that I must share...

It said 'Are you wanting to advance your career? Are you ready to wear that white coat that comes with a BSN degree? Come to ______________________ to take the next step in your career now!' BSNs wear white coats now too?!

Wut

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Hello friends,
Let it be said that I am not one to bash nurses or really have a strong opinion in regards to a white coat, but I just heard a commercial on the radio that I must share...

It said 'Are you wanting to advance your career? Are you ready to wear that white coat that comes with a BSN degree? Come to ______________________ to take the next step in your career now!' BSNs wear white coats now too?!

Wut
Uh yeah....almost everyone in the hospital wears white coats now. Where've you been? We lost that symbol a long time ago.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Uh yeah....almost everyone in the hospital wears white coats now. Where've you been? We lost that symbol a long time ago.
Yeah, it's not really hilarious. More like disappointment.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I wear my white coat to class on the daily. I gotta let all these peasants know that I'm better than them. I represent. I'm also a pre-med.
You'll be even more legit if you have it embroidered with "Werunthis, Future MD".

Reactions: werunthis

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Well the coat is nice for when I spill something on myself or didn't do a good job ironing.
In South America, a white coat is called a "guardapolvo", literally "a dust cover" and they are worn by school children.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I worked at a hospital where some of the cafeteria people even wore white lab coats. These days the progression is short white coat to long white coat to no coat. These days, If you show up to work wearing and carrying nothing people know you've made it.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
the white coat is overrated anyway
Agreed. I hate wearing it. Although the pockets are nice for snacks.
In South America, a white coat is called a "guardapolvo", literally "a dust cover" and they are worn by school children.
I worked at a hospital where some of the cafeteria people even wore white lab coats. These days the progression is short white coat to long white coat to no coat. These days, If you show up to work wearing and carrying nothing people know you've made it.
If the white coat is this overrated to the point it lost its traditional purpose, i think we can all agree that the so-called "White Coat Ceremony" is far overrated (and useless) in itself. Then again, it has nothing to do with the students, but allows their friends and family to naively brag about some made-up value. Kinda tragic.

It would be also horrible for any US medical school to require attending the White Coat Ceremony. Talk about a massive insult to injury.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
If the white coat is this overrated to the point it lost its traditional purpose, i think we can all agree that the so-called "White Coat Ceremony" is far overrated (and useless) in itself. Then again, it has nothing to do with the students, but allows their friends and family to naively brag about some made-up value. Kinda tragic.

It would be also horrible for any US medical school to require attending the White Coat Ceremony. Talk about a massive insult to injury.
There are finite opportunities for pomp and circumstance and for family and friends to celebrate your accomplishments. The white coat ceremony was never about the coat any more than a graduation is about the fake rolled up "parchment" some places use in lieu of the diploma you'll get sent later. So I don't think that ceremony is devalued in any way.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
There are finite opportunities for pomp and circumstance and for family and friends to celebrate your accomplishments. The white coat ceremony was never about the coat any more than a graduation is about the fake rolled up "parchment" some places use in lieu of the diploma you'll get sent later. So I don't think that ceremony is devalued in any way.
But it involves enshrining the student with the white coat as a mark of the student's formal entry into the medical profession. So that in itself symbolizes the white coat to be something important when it really isn't.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
But it involves enshrining the student with the white coat as a mark of the student's formal entry into the medical profession. So that in itself symbolizes the white coat to be something important when it really isn't.
Sure, it's a symbol. It's meaningless outside of the ceremony. And That's totally fine. It's no different than winning a trophy, knowing that i or anyone can go to the store and buy a trophy just as pretty for $20. but I wouldn't bother because the item itself isn't the honor. it's just a symbol of the honor.

Reactions: Holmwood

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
Would be interesting if we all changed to black coats, bowing down before the medical snake.

Slytherin anyone?
Most days I feel like a Hufflepuff.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
A lot of docs just wear scrubs most of the time anyway.

This some really funny doc envy though.

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I think you're overreacting. The ceremony is a symbol of entering the medical profession, nothing more. A formal way for your family and friends to celebrate this milestone. You can protest it if it makes you feel better about it, but you'll probably still be required to wear the coat for most patient interactions.

WingedOx

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I never quite understood how posters from the allo board consider the white coat ceremony as some sort of human rights violation. Then again, half the allo board spends their time actively looking for things to be enraged about.

It's a f-cking ceremony. Take your family. Get a steak dinner out of it. Move on with your life.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Sure, it's a symbol. It's meaningless outside of the ceremony. And That's totally fine. It's no different than winning a trophy, knowing that i or anyone can go to the store and buy a trophy just as pretty for $20. but I wouldn't bother because the item itself isn't the honor. it's just a symbol of the honor.
Ok i suppose that is the best way to look at it.

I think you're overreacting. The ceremony is a symbol of entering the medical profession, nothing more. A formal way for your family and friends to celebrate this milestone. You can protest it if it makes you feel better about it, but you'll probably still be required to wear the coat for most patient interactions.
I never quite understood how posters from the allo board consider the white coat ceremony as some sort of human rights violation. Then again, half the allo board spends their time actively looking for things to be enraged about.

It's a f-cking ceremony. Take your family. Get a steak dinner out of it. Move on with your life.
Nah not enraged. I'm just puzzled by this apparent contradiction (viewing the white coat to be a symbol of medical profession vs wanting to burn the useless white coat by MS3/MS4 etc.)

WingedOx

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Ok i suppose that is the best way to look at it.

Nah not enraged. I'm just puzzled by this apparent contradiction (viewing the white coat to be a symbol of medical profession vs wanting to burn the useless white coat by MS3/MS4 etc.)
you're putting way too much thought into it.

Reactions: CaliforniaDreamer

22031 Alum

At the baby factory.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
It's not really a contradiction, it's just the nature of symbols that one's feelings toward them can change. I remember how excited I was to finally have a pager as an MS3. At the end of residency, I drove over my pager with my car (the hospital switched models and I didn't have to give mine back). Or going further back, think about how big a deal it is to have a letter jacket as a high schooler. But wear one to class in college just a few months after graduating and you'll be laughed off campus. And on and on.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
you're putting way too much thought into it.
It's not really a contradiction, it's just the nature of symbols that one's feelings toward them can change. I remember how excited I was to finally have a pager as an MS3. At the end of residency, I drove over my pager with my car (the hospital switched models and I didn't have to give mine back). Or going further back, think about how big a deal it is to have a letter jacket as a high schooler. But wear one to class in college just a few months after graduating and you'll be laughed off campus. And on and on.
Welp. :oops: Yeah you're right. My apologies and thanks for the clarification.

Sep 3, 2015
Outer Gates
Status
Pre-Medical
Would be interesting if we all changed to black coats, bowing down before the medical snake.

Slytherin anyone?
I like the cut of your jib. But I'm Ravenclaw, I've been sorted and everything.

Reactions: Holmwood