Medical Hip injury - how will this affect my residency start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have had an unforeseeable event happen where I now have a torn hip labrum - shown on MRI. It is causing me a lot of pain with walking, standing, and sitting. I am very concerned how I will be able to start my residency program. I'm following up with my ortho this week; however, I do not see any way out of not informing my PD or program. Can anyone give me any information on how to deal with this, or if anyone has gone through this also? Do interns have any rights?
I did read in another forum that someone said if I didn't do orientation, that may look like I'm not an employee there. Please please any information is appreciated. This is terrible timing.
Sorry to hear about your injury. Have you contacted your residency director? You probably should contact the PD to see if they can accommodate you, or if you need a wheelchair or something documentable from your physician or physical therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Thanks for your response. I was planning on contacting them this week after my next ortho apt when I get my results and can ask them what my next steps needs to be. But yes, I will probably need documentation. Mainly concerned if programs give you "the boot" if you need too much accommodation :(. And hopefully applying for their health insurance won't be a problem.
Legally the standard is that you must be given "reasonable accommodations" appropriate to your education. I would hope they could figure something out.

Where's the wise @NotAProgDirector when you need him?????
Working, apparently.
Legally the standard is that you must be given "reasonable accommodations" appropriate to your education. I would hope they could figure something out.
Actually, it isn't. Reasonable accommodations is what is required by the ADA, which addresses chronic health issues, must be present for at least 6 months. To my understanding, acute illnesses are not covered by the ADA.

The residency program could start you on time and accommodate your injury anyway -- many will do that. Or, they could delay your start until you're healthy. The former is much more likely, but it really depends on how injured you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.