HIPAA and a personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceowl2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any thoughts? I really think writing more specifically will make for a better statement and I just want to know where the line is. Any help would be appreciated.

You would want to do it by talking about your feelings perhaps, but I don't think you need to go into any detail regarding any particular patient. Talk about what the experience was like for you, not about the patient.

For example: I came to learn X about myself when working in close proximity to patients who were struggling with the aftermath of diffuse axonal injuries. I came to realize that I was fascinated with why some injuries were more severe despite having less pronounced visible damage... etc... I want to study X because of my experience in working with patients who were working hard to overcome the effects of Y. It was this struggle that resonated with me on an emotional level and I knew that I found an area of work that I could really dedicate my efforts to.

It's more important to focus on why you want to be there than the impact a particular patient had on you.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
You would want to do it by talking about your feelings perhaps, but I don't think you need to go into any detail regarding any particular patient. Talk about what the experience was like for you, not about the patient.

For example: I came to learn X about myself when working in close proximity to patients who were struggling with the aftermath of diffuse axonal injuries. I came to realize that I was fascinated with why some injuries were more severe despite having less pronounced visible damage... etc... I want to study X because of my experience in working with patients who were working hard to overcome the effects of Y. It was this struggle that resonated with me on an emotional level and I knew that I found an area of work that I could really dedicate my efforts to.

It's more important to focus on why you want to be there than the impact a particular patient had on you.

Mark

I'm on a roll w/ Markp...this is the second time I echo his viewpoint tonight. Hey Mark, here's a virtual cheers!:highfive:

To Riceowl: I was in the same situation with my personal statement. I had a unique situation that tipped me over the edge with one patient from a clinical job that wasn't in the capacity of clinical psychology. I wrote about the changes in me, did not mention the patient, and kept the experience in the back of my mind for interview time (with the caveat that I would ask in my interviewers if I could share the experience with them and not disclose specific information - they will respect your awareness of HIPAA rules - as I respect that you are asking the question now). I was armed with the experience, but choose to discuss other things in the interviews. Focus on you & your uniqueness.

Good luck! :luck:

HIPAA isn't violated if you don't give identifying information that a reasonable person would be able to use to figure out who the patient is, or that gives confidential information about an identified person. So talk about them as a TBI case, change the age and a few other features (maybe even the gender), and use a false name. Don't use a really really unique detail that only this person may have.