HIPAA & Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ztg93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm readying to submit my primary application, but I'm worried about a possible HIPAA violation in my personal statement.

In my PS, I mention a volunteer program I am a part of, including the name of the hospital. Then I discuss a patient interaction that had a significant impact in helping me realize I want to practice medicine. I referred to the patient by a made-up name. Should I be worried that whoever is reviewing my personal statement might assume it's the patient's real name.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm readying to submit my primary application, but I'm worried about a possible HIPAA violation in my personal statement.

In my PS, I mention a volunteer program I am a part of, including the name of the hospital. Then I discuss a patient interaction that had a significant impact in helping me realize I want to practice medicine. I referred to the patient by a made-up name. Should I be worried that whoever is reviewing my personal statement might assume it's the patient's real name.

No. This is completely fine.