Hipaa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We just got a set of pretty bruising warnings today about complying with the new HIPAA regulations that went into effect in April. It sounded pretty dire, to be honest. I realize it's only been a few months since it went into effect; but to clinical students and practicing dents: how hard to deal with is it actually? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's been a complete pain in the ass... For dental students at least, anyway.

Because of HIPAA, here at my school dental students are no longer permitted to enter the clinic areas before 8:30AM and after 4:30PM-- The doors become locked. That means we can no longer access the stuff we have in our operatory during off-hours. Very aggravating, for example, if you have to do labwork and have to retrieve something (a cast, your green bowl, etc.) from your operatory.

Some of this HIPAA crap goes too far.

what are you referring to as the new regulations? if i may ask

Members don't see this ad :)
Another pain in the ass paperwork thus wasting resurces, time and money!
You think patients read that stuff?
Just go to walgreens to fill a prescription and see the pamphlet they give you...do you really gain anything after reading it ?!
Yep we just gotta have a law for everything, anybody still wonders why lawyers make lots of money in this day of age?!

I worked the front office of a dental office for about nine months, during which the HIPPA changeover occured. It really changed minor aspects of operation. For instance, we were no longer able to hang schedules in the operatories. It's slightly annoying to the assistants and hygienists because they don't know who's coming next and when. Other than that, releasing X-rays and records is more time involving due to release forms and such. The only other thing that will change in my office is probably the open aspect. I don't know if you've ever been in an open style office where there are just flimsy partitions between patients...but that's how our office was. You can hear EVERYTHING from everywhere in the office. Obviously, this is not very private. Other than that, I wouldn't say HIPPA is such a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by Dentoman
Another pain in the ass paperwork thus wasting resurces, time and money!
You think patients read that stuff?
Just go to walgreens to fill a prescription and see the pamphlet they give you...do you really gain anything after reading it ?!
Yep we just gotta have a law for everything, anybody still wonders why lawyers make lots of money in this day of age?!

You don't like the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-191), also known as HIPAA?

HIPAA was signed into law in August of 1996 by President Bill Clinton.

HIPAA began it?s life as the Kennedy-Kassenbaum Bill, introduced by Senators Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts and Nancy Kassenbaum of Kansas.

Next time vote Republican.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's keep the partisan politics out of the forum.

Originally posted by mathnerd
Let's keep the partisan politics out of the forum.

...*blink*.

This laughable irony here, of course, is that the entire thread <em>was</em> as good as gone from the forum, having been completely flat-lined for well over three months, until you brought it back. Way to practice what you preach.

Reactions: 1 user