Hispanic Male 31Q 3.9 GPA (13 BS 11 P 7 V) What are my chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jflo1109

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a rising senior at the City College of New York. I am Hispanic, and I have a 3.91 overall GPA, as well as a 3.88 science GPA. I am in the Macaulay Honors program at CCNY.

I currently perform neuroscience research using flies, and am currently taking part in Albert Einstein's School of Medicine SUMP program. I have been on dean's list every year, and am currently a recipient of the Peter Vallone scholarship, NYS LOT scholarship, and the Judy Weston scholarship for Public Service. I have also been nominated as a strong candidate for the Goldwater scholarship. I am currently involved in 3 community pediatrics health programs at new york presbyterian hospital, including behavioral research in the form of a health intervention, and am currently shadowing a neonatologist.

I performed an ambulatory volunteer program this winter in Costa Rica to supplement my clinical experience. I have tutored both high school students (paid) in all subjects, and for my science department in genetics and biology (non-paid). I will also most likely be 2nd or 3rd author in 1-2 abstracts for my neuroscience research.
Given these things,, I'd like to know what reach schools I stand a good chance of getting into. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The verbal may be the only thing that they question, but otherwise, you can apply to any school in the country and be competitive or above competitive. Try to add some shadowing to the mix.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have done some shadowing..in fact i'm shadowing a neonatologist right now

Nice work on all the scholarship stuff buddy!!

I would say shoot for em' all depending on what type of hispanic you are and whether you look it (honestly this was definitely a concern at some schools that wanted you to "look the part" besides just actually being fluent and a culturally immersed latino).

Best of luck!

13 interviews so far thanks guys...wish me luck, and good luck to all u as well

Apply to Harvard, you'll be fine. ***********************************

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for believing in me everybody...out of the 13 interviews i have been accepted to

Einstein
Stony Brook
Rochester
UPIttsburgh
SUNY Downstate
NYU

Awaiting answers still from Harvard, Yale, and Columbia!

Holy crap.
3.9 coupled with URM status = acceptance rain

Haha are u a URM as well?

Farthest from. I'm an Asian.
My stats are not nearly as good as yours, however I've shown a huge upward trend as of late.
UPitt or Einstein would be my top choices if I were to choose and acceptance from your list.

ACCEPTED TO HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! Best thing tht ever happened to me!!!!

The magic that comes with being brown lol. Good job!

Hahaha wow man congrats!!!! I can only hope to have a fraction of your success once I apply. Muy bueno!!

You're kinda like me...except that I'm just a normal caucasian. Good job! You can give hope to the normal guys like us with average stats (except the GPA).