histo/cell structure and function

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm a first year at loma linda univ. school of med in sunny southern calif. we have to pass our cell structure and function course in order to move on to the next year. i'm having problems and getting ready to take the year over again. any clues/tips on how to do well on in-house exams?

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Gold Standard website A LOT for histology. They have review slides, as well as practice exam questions. My friends and I did them together, and it really helped us all. I think with Histology, the key is repition. Also, make comparitive charts to help you distinguish the key features of different tissues. For instance, take all of the structures in the GI tract, and all the layers, and then write in what is important for each. Like Brunner's glands are only in the submucosa of the duodenum, or Peyer's patches in the Ilium.

Hope this helps, and here's the site I used: www.imc.gsm.com

See if your libary has a copy of Histotime--right now, it's only available in laser disc format, but they keep saying a CD Rom is "coming in the next few weeks"... Histotime is ENDLESSLY REPETITIVE and completely mind-numbing (much like histology itself), but it's a good way to really learn the practical portion of histo. Histo sucks... hang in there!

Hey,

I would also appreciate any advice on histo as I'm also about to take a re-exam. I have a great summer project set up and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that I will not have to spend my summer taking histo. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering that I did fine in all of my other classes in med school so far and I currently have honors/high pass in all my classes for the second semester. I just couldn't do histology!!!
frown.gif