dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2001
west coast baby
Visit site
Status
any one have any good ways to study for histology? is there a really good book out there?

thanks

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Screw the books. There are a million great histo web sites.

Try:

University of Florida
University of Kansas
University of Delaware
Loyola
Vanderbilt

Just do a search on google. You'll find plenty of resources. But, there is no substituion to breaking out your microscopes and slide set and examining slides for a while. Look at several slide sets so you know what to expect. See if they offer the past exams at your school so that you can see what types of things they are looking for on the practical.

About the Ads
OP
D

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2001
west coast baby
Visit site
Status
thanks everyone for replying! now I dont think i'm going to have to buy a atlas =)

hehehhe i wish i had DSL at home in which case I totally would not even buy an atlas.

hey kygrl thank your BF for me! that website is pretty nice!

merlin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2001
What a long strange trip it's been....
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree that there are many great histo web sites to check out, with good quizes, but I am not so sure that I would recommend paying too much time to the microscope. At my school, our practical portion is given by projecting slides and so I have found that looking over images from an image database is much higher yield. I feel that slides take too long just searching and focasing the slide on what it is you are looking for. But, I know there are many opinions that are very contrary to what I am saying, so basically, you are going to just have to find out what works for you. Also, as a side note, I really like Wheaters. Cheers. :cool:

phllystyl

n0t the j0ke [email protected]@
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2002
Philly -> NYC -> Philly (in 2009)
foundation.mine.nu
Status
I agree that the sites listed are awesome, ive used many..

But to be honest, I still think the best resource out there is Wheater's. It is seriously such a well done atlas with extremely informative captions that help to teach the material.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 1999
The Land of Lincoln
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by mycin1600
Knowledge of histology is an innate talent. It's not something you can learn. Sorry.
Not true. It is basically pattern recognition. Even if you decide to buy the atlas, check out the web sites as well. This will help you avoid memorizing the picture you are looking at instead of recognizing the pattern.

Another good site is pathweb from University of Utah (sorry, don't have the link). It is set up for pathology, but has some normal specimins as well.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
Does your school have a set of histology slides? What appears in the books don't always look the same under the scope. I recommend finding a set of histo slides and spend a couple days going through each one. Try to guess the answer and set aside the ones you miss for further study. I went through a set of 100 slides 3 times and aced the course. This being said, my program tested us with slides.

If you are tested by projection slides, then you may do better looking at images on the computer. Looking under the scope will help, but that's coming from a guy who likes microscopes. :)

Histology is quite simple. It's pattern recognition, which takes time and patience.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
The best advice for histo i can give, other than what has already been said, is concerning practicals using 'scopes instead of projection. Look at the slide grossly-- take it out of the microscope and look at it, if possible. If you learn to recognize the tissue section by looking at it grossly, it can narrow down dramatically the options you have for answers. Especially if you get to look through the exact bank of slides that will be used on your exam.

take it easy

homonculus

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
The best advice for histo i can give, other than what has already been said, is concerning practicals using 'scopes instead of projection. Look at the slide grossly-- take it out of the microscope and look at it, if possible. If you learn to recognize the tissue section by looking at it grossly, it can narrow down dramatically the options you have for answers. Especially if you get to look through the exact bank of slides that will be used on your exam.
Good point! I was taught this too. Look at the slide with a white sheet of paper as the background. For instance, if it's a finger tip, then it'll help you to orient yourself.

Droopy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Northeast
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Histology Image Review is a great CD. The quality of the pictures is excellent and the descriptions are good.

beanbean

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2002
Connecticut
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I used the online sites listed above for most of my preparation for exams. My school also had HistoTime software on school computers. HistoTime has very good image reviews and quizzes. Most of the students in my class swear by it.

About the Ads