HIstology in dental schools?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Quick Slvr, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Quick Slvr

Quick Slvr Member
    7+ Year Member

I hear histology is a pretty tough class, one of friends ( from NYU) strongly recommended me to take histology during the summer time. Is Histology that bad?

2. LestatZinnie

LestatZinnie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bad in the beginning if you've never seen histological slides before. i failed my first quiz. but after the second lab you get more used to seeing real cells (rather than the cartoony drawings we're used to in undergrad) and everything is easy. the theory part is very easy- just like studying cell biology. it's not necessary to take courses beforehand imo.

3. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

This might sound utterly idiotic, but I'm being serious: histo is all about pattern recognition, right? Well, when I was younger (muuuuch younger), for whatever reason, at one point I became somewhat obsessed with finding 4-leaf clovers. I'd scan clover patches for like a half hour at a time, and ultimately I ended up finding at least 1 or 2 every time I looked. It's not about knowing where to look, but rather knowing how to look.

I've since recognized that I'm not half bad at pattern recognition, and I think I owe it in part to my youthful 4-leaf-clover hunts.

Bizarre but true.

So if I were your situation (which, as a pre-dent, I kindof am :D but a year behind), I'd save the money from the class and spend some time outside to develop pattern recognition skills!

Plus, once we start dental school we can kiss goodbye our free time for going outside... :(

4. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Nah, school isn't *all*-consuming...just *mostly*. ;) You'll still find time to enjoy yourself.

5. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

Dr.SpongeBobDDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

depends on how it's taught. The slides, practical portion was a piece of cake. But our professor made us memorize reems of meaningless trivia about every little thing. That was the killer part.