Div_MD2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
Status
Medical Student
hi all,
ok..so i'm doing my undergrad in a 6-yr BS/MD program and i'm supposed to be registering for courses for spring semester (my last semester of undergrad) soon. i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether i should take vetebrate histology or human gross anatomy next semester...which course is considered to be more helpful in med skool? thank you in advance for your advice!

humuhumu

nukunuku apua'a
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
twitter.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Div_MD2B said:
hi all,
ok..so i'm doing my undergrad in a 6-yr BS/MD program and i'm supposed to be registering for courses for spring semester (my last semester of undergrad) soon. i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether i should take vetebrate histology or human gross anatomy next semester...which course is considered to be more helpful in med skool? thank you in advance for your advice!
Gross anatomy. Should be a prerequisite for med school (but can't be because many colleges don't offer it). You won't learn as much detail as gross in med school, but the background will definitely give you an edge (i.e., make your life a little easier) in the first year.

The same reasoning applies to histology, too, but on a much smaller scale. You won't spend nearly as much time on histology in your first year of med school.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
GROSS ANATOMY hands down!!!!!!!!!! Our school's honors program offers limited seats to a gross anatomy class at the medical school. One of my friends did it for S/U credit and it gave her a heads up of what kinds of things to expect in medical school. She really liked it.

I would do it, cuz anatomy is supposed to be personal hell for most MS I's and so this is a good course to take.

sakura181

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2005
Status
I would say take Histology. Depending on what med school you go to, you may have the option of testing out of Histology during your first year, and not going to Histo lecture and lab frees up A LOT of time for you to study for your other classes or relax. I have classmates who took Gross Anatomy as undergrads and they said that while it helped a little bit with anatomy, it wouldn't have been as helpful as taking Histo and getting it out of the way like some of our other classmates. Plus many undergrads teach with only prosections and you won't have the experience of actually doing the dissections.

DrHopeless

The Monkey is In
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Status
My school is being an ass, they won't let me take anatomy................ but I am having a blast with Histology....... Our teacher is suppose to be harder than the medschool teacher, that is just insane........... my notebook for that class is as thick as the medschool one :eek:

humuhumu

nukunuku apua'a
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
twitter.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sakura181 said:
I would say take Histology. Depending on what med school you go to, you may have the option of testing out of Histology during your first year, and not going to Histo lecture and lab frees up A LOT of time for you to study for your other classes or relax. I have classmates who took Gross Anatomy as undergrads and they said that while it helped a little bit with anatomy, it wouldn't have been as helpful as taking Histo and getting it out of the way like some of our other classmates. Plus many undergrads teach with only prosections and you won't have the experience of actually doing the dissections.
Interesting point. At some schools histology is just one component in an integrated course, so testing out isn't an option (as sakura indicated). Even if you just look at prosections, you'll learn a lot of useful vocabulary. Of course the ideal would be taking both anatomy and histology as an undergrad...

OP
D

Div_MD2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2005
Status
Medical Student
thank you sooo much for all the input guys! this really helps! i'm so glad i asked for the advice b4 scheduling for classes on monday! :)

epalantequevoy

Captain Planet
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2005
the midwest
Status
aren't most bs/md programs already condensed enough so that you don't really have any time for electives during the first two years? if you are using your minimal elective time to take gross anatomy so it will be easier next year (i'm assuming next year you'll be ms1, or 3rd year of the bs/md program), i would recommend against it. gross is tough, but it is conquerable. i personally see elective time as a last chance to take something personally fulfilling--something that will be interesting and allow you to talk about non-science issues. something like art or literature or a language.

of course, if this is a required course and you have to choose one or the other, then i would vote for histology as it is applicable to pathology and physiology moreso than gross anatomy.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
I'm in histology right now. However, at our school they have a dry lab. In other words, the professor shows us slides and we just sort of observe and look at online slides that correspond with the idea.

I don't think it is too bad. I think Gross anatomy is harder but probably will be helpful to you.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
If this is an elective and not a required course, then u're wasting ur time learning something u're going to learn again anyway. i agree w/ the advice by someone to do something fulfilling that u'd enjoy, like language or something cultural. If u want something more obviously useful to a doc (the other stuff is useful, it's just not obvious), then statistics, psych, philosophy, or sociology or something like that.

As for the case that this is required, I'm gonna go ahead and say histo instead of anatomy. Anatomy sucks, but it's extremely self-contained. Histo, on the other hand, is not that useful by itself (and almost a waste of time if u asked me last year). But it is so intimately related to pathology, pathophysiology, and some physiology that really knowing it will (prolly without you realizing it) will make learning several different parts of medical school easier. anatomy tends to just be one course, and while extremely useful, learning it early will only help you with anatomy and not much more.

Unch

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Victoria, BC
Status
Attending Physician
Anatomy, definitely. Regardless of what anyone says, anatomy takes time to really learn and it will never stop being important in med school and later in practice. You could go your whole med career virtually never looking at a slide prep (unless you're in research or path) but your anatomy will underpin everything you do. Huge amounts of the clinical stuff you'll be tested on will focus on which pulse to take and which muscles are affected by damage to which nerves etc. You can never know anatomy too well.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Div_MD2B said:
hi all,
GROSS ANATOMY ! ! ! ! ! ! !