histology or micro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patch_o

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am selecting classing to take next fall, and i will be a junior. I am debating between 3 classes... Microbiology, Histology, and a greek mythology class (its for my minor). Anyway i was wondering which one would be the most beneficial to take for the MCAT, or should i just stick with the myth class for my minor?

Thanks for any opinions

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Greek Mythology class would definately be the most helpful for the MCAT. I think they touch on it in the Physical Sciences section.

I will go with micro. Do what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although Micro might be more beneficial for the MCAT, most med students that I know have told me that they wished they took some histo in undergrad. I personally did not take micro, but did fine on the bio section of the MCAT. As for histo, it was one of my favorite (although the most difficult) classes that I took during undergrad. Most of the schools I interviewed at taught Gross and Microanatomy(histo) at the same time, and it was my impression that many students felt it was a great advantage to have experience in one or the other before undertaking these courses.

-Steve

as far as the MCAT goes, I guess micro would be the best choice......as far as taking a really cool humanities class, take Greek and Roman, it was by one of the coolest classes I've ever taken.....note that you'll have a lot of reading to do for this class, which could hinder your mcat studies

long live dyonysus :horns:

For MCAT, take Micro. To look better to adcoms, take Histo. I personally liked histo better, but Micro is much more applicable to the MCAT.

Seeing as how I was a microbiology major, I might be a little biased. : ) That being said, there were fun/interesting micro classes, and boring memorization micro classes. If it's an intro one, it might be useful but not nearly as interesting as medical virology or medical bacteriology.

I don't think either class with have much of an impact on your MCAT test readiness. And while preparing for the test, an easy class like mythology just might be what you need. Also, it depends on the rest of your schedule, will all of the others be science?

I agree that Micro would be more useful for the MCAT.

take the myth class for your minor. the adcoms really wont care that you took histo or micro...its not going to be a deciding factor in anything...well that is unless you get Cs or Ds. ;)

micro isnt going to help all THAT much for the mcat...

finish up your minor...

Honestly it doesn't matter!

- I never took microbiology, ever.
-histology is not difficult compared to other classes

In my opinion, classes like cell biology, human anatomy/physiology would be helpful, but histology would be a definite waste. It is not on the MCAT, nor it is hardly on the step exam.

I also think the Greek Mythology class, while interesting, would depend a lot on the professor/curriculm. If you are just reading Tales of Ovid, or other generic texts, then skip it..anyone can read these stories on their own time. If you are plunging deeper into the great literature, monuments, and culture of greece then it might be more interesting.

I took Micro, and think it would be helpful. Also, I think anatomy and physio would be helful as well (especially is they don't touch upon the subject in introductory biology). Also, you get a little histology in anatomy class.