1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Histology or Summer Program

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Brown429, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Brown429

Brown429 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Asking this question early...but I need to tell my advisor to plan out my undergrad...need some advice..

Next summer I have the option to take Medical Histology at my future medical school. I am looking into derm/rad as of now, thus i need high scores in medical school...from what I hear. It is free for me to take...and I would have to repeat it in medical school. This is fine, less studying to do during 1st year. (I have to repeat it because Histo is in an integrated cirric.)

The other option I have is to apply to a Public Health Internship @ Harvard for 4 weeks. Sounds interesting, and you get paid for it. Looking at the specialities I want to get into, is taking Histology the better option??

(note i start med school in fall 08' and will be taking histology in the summer 07')

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry, I always get a kick out of people who say, "I think I want derm or rads" because the two fields have only the following in common:
    1) Prestige amongst medical types due to competitiveness of matching. Very little prestige in the non-med community.
    2) $$$ or $$$$$

Translation: I want money and prestige. I don't really care about the rest of medicine.

4. turtmd

turtmd Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I think you should go to the Summer program that way you can learn more about other specialties and it would help you more as an EC for your medical school application, the Histology class is important too, but you are going to take it again while in medical school. So, since the summer program is a unique opportunity I'd choose the Summer Program. :)

5. KidDr

KidDr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    how do you already know that you're starting med school in the fall of 2008? are you in a combined BA/MD program? if not, you're gonna get flamed for presuming not only that you have a spot for the entering class of 2008, but also for talking about your "future medical school" like it's a sure thing.
    having said that, I'd try to do the public health internship. you'll get more basic science than you could ever need or want in med school, so I'd use the time next summer to do something different, and it sounds like a neat opportunity.

6. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definitely do the Public Health Internsip at Harvard.