Historically Black Medical Colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Chill out. Statistics don't lie, no matter much you try to convince us that they do."

I went to school in Cali. your school list is pretty ambitious with ur standardized test score. I taught mcat classes and a drop in practice test to real test of that much probably means u could take again and get a 37, which is what you will need to get into UCSF, UCLA med.

ur score might work for wake forest though. dont know your undergrad, so the gpa could mean many things.

Good luck,getting into Cali med schools, thats tough.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

"Chill out. Statistics don't lie, no matter much you try to convince us that they do."

I went to school in Cali. your school list is pretty ambitious with ur standardized test score. I taught mcat classes and a drop in practice test to real test of that much probably means u could take again and get a 37, which is what you will need to get into UCSF, UCLA med.

ur score might work for wake forest though. dont know your undergrad, so the gpa could mean many things.

Good luck,getting into Cali med schools, thats tough.:laugh:

wow :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
am I the only one that thinks affirmative action is disgusting? The ONLY factor that should be taken into consideration is your family's income. It shouldn't matter what the color of your skin is. My parents are very wealthy, and I know I've had an advantage over kids who had to work 15-20 hours a week during the semester in order to put food on their table. The only thing thing categorizing by race does is say "race A is inferior to race B intellectually so we need to give them a handicap so they can actually compete"

So let me get this straight..... a rich black kid get a handicap over a poor white kid..... right......

am I the only one that thinks affirmative action is disgusting? The ONLY factor that should be taken into consideration is your family's income. It shouldn't matter what the color of your skin is. My parents are very wealthy, and I know I've had an advantage over kids who had to work 15-20 hours a week during the semester in order to put food on their table. The only thing thing categorizing by race does is say "race A is inferior to race B intellectually so we need to give them a handicap so they can actually compete"

So let me get this straight..... a rich black kid get a handicap over a poor white kid..... right......

This thread has nothing to do with AA, so please, take your griping and complaining elsewhere. This thread is about if the OP, who hasn't since posted, should apply to an HBCU.

This thread has nothing to do with AA, so please, take your griping and complaining elsewhere. This thread is about if the OP, who hasn't since posted, should apply to an HBCU.

um we're talking about a school that gives preferential treatment to someone based on skin color.... try again

um we're talking about a school that gives preferential treatment to someone based on skin color.... try again

Sorry buddy, these schools are called Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Historically being the key word. These schools are not all black, they give everybody the same shot. People shoot themselves in the foot because they do not have the same mission as the schools. People whose ideals line up with the school and get in and love it, no matter your skin color. HBCU's were established in order to train freed and newly freed slaves as physicians to treat our community which at the time, nobody would serve. We were not given opportunities at other schools, so people collaborated and established great schools like mine, Howard University, and Morehouse, Meharry, etc. So like I said, this thread has nothing to do with AA and more so, if the OP's ideals match up with ours.

Do you have a problem with Wellesey which is a women's college?

I'm not sure how old you are but if you took any history class, you'll understand that marginalized groups had to coalesce in different forms in order to survive and attain certain opportunities that weren't available to them. New York City recently built a special high school for gays and lesbians. Do you feel discriminated?

Last edited:
Sorry buddy, these schools are called Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Historically being the key word. These schools are not all black, they give everybody the same shot. People shoot themselves in the foot because they do not have the same mission as the schools. People whose ideals line up with the school and get in and love it, no matter your skin color. HBCU's were established in order to train freed and newly freed slaves as physicians to treat our community which at the time, nobody would serve. We were not given opportunities at other schools, so people collaborated and established great schools like mine, Howard University, and Morehouse, Meharry, etc. So like I said, this thread has nothing to do with AA and more so, if the OP's ideals match up with ours.

WOW... blatantly lying to yourself is pretty sad. Let me ask you this...

If, next year, students applying to morehouse/howard/meharry are not allowed to check an ethnicity box, do you think the class make-up will still be the same?

08-09

Morehouse
-42 black
-3 white

Howard
-80 black
-8 white

Meharry
-82 black
-6 white

Howard core values
"(3) leadership in medical education and health care, especially for African Americans, other minorities, and the economically disadvantaged"

Why is "african american" even there? I thought they did not take skin color into consideration?

Morehouse mission statement
"addressing primary health-care needs through programs in education, research, and service, with emphasis on people of color"

once again...... we're talking about the color of your skin..... right there in the MISSION STATEMENT.

Meharry mission statement
"placing special emphasis on providing opportunities to people of color"

lol..... i think you get the point

People shoot themselves in the foot because they do not have the same mission as the schools. People whose ideals line up with the school and get in and love it, no matter your skin color.

Having gone over those mission statements.... how can I, a white male, match those missions?

Do you have a problem with Wellesey which is a women's college?

I'm not sure how old you are but if you took any history class, you'll understand that marginalized groups had to coalesce in different forms in order to survive and attain certain opportunities that weren't available to them. New York City recently built a special high school for gays and lesbians. Do you feel discriminated?

Yes.... and yes.....

If, next year, students applying to morehouse/howard/meharry are not allowed to check an ethnicity box, do you think the class make-up will still be the same?

08-09

Morehouse
-42 black
-3 white

Howard
-80 black
-8 white

Meharry
-82 black
-6 white

Howard core values
"(3) leadership in medical education and health care, especially for African Americans, other minorities, and the economically disadvantaged"

Why is "african american" even there? I thought they did not take skin color into consideration?

"addressing primary health-care needs through programs in education, research, and service, with emphasis on people of color"

once again...... we're talking about the color of your skin..... right there in the MISSION STATEMENT.

Having gone over those mission statements.... how can I, a white male, match those missions?

So how exactly am I lying to myself? The numbers might be the same, I don't know. That depends on the people who are applying and if they have a desire to serve the underserved. I think I know the mission statements, especially seeing as I attend Howard. You can match those mission statements if you choose to. My class is very diverse. Of course we are going to have higher numbers of African Americans because more African Americans apply to HBCU's, so that point is silly. It's not about your color, it is about your commitment to the underserved. Maybe your mission doesn't match ours cuz you dont want to serve the underserved, I don't know. That is something you have to ask yourself.

I've been following this thread as a lurker for a couple of days, but this really takes the cake. If you are a troll, you got me good. Yes, the makeup will still be the same. These schools enjoy particular admiration and esteem in the black community because they were formed with the purpose of allowing blacks to obtain an education when other institutions would not allow them to. Many black students aspire to attend them. HBCUs have significantly higher percentages of black students because significantly higher percentages of their applicants are black.

Many white males are graduates of HBCUs. Why is it that they have been able to find themselves in line with the mission of these schools while you remain so acutely disenfranchised?

Yes.... and yes.....

I don't know why I am sitting here arguing with you. You are silly and that is that. I will no longer waste my time having a convo with you about this. I have an exam at my HBCU medical school which I love with all my heart! I hope at some point you grow up and out of your ignorant views. God bless!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.... and yes.....

I'm curious to know why? So you think Wellesey is wrong in their mission to train and empower future women leaders? In a world dominated by men, I personally think Wellesey's mission is a noble task that has produced strong women such as Hillary Rodham Clinton, Emily Dickinson, Madeleine Albright, Katharine Hepburn and shown young girls the possibilities they can attain.

Point 2:So you feel discriminated that you cannot attend a gay high school? Umm, ok.

I've been following this thread as a lurker for a couple of days, but this really takes the cake. If you are a troll, you got me good. Yes, the makeup will still be the same. These schools enjoy particular admiration and esteem in the black community because they were formed with the purpose of allowing blacks to obtain an education when other institutions would not allow them to. Many black students aspire to attend them. HBCUs have significantly higher percentages of black students because significantly higher percentages of their applicants are black.

LOL. More whites don't apply b/c they know the school is going to accept a certain percentage of black students, regardless of any other factors. Even so, please provide a link that shows only 5% of the applicants to morehouse were white.

Many white males are graduates of HBCUs. Why is it that they have been able to find themselves in line with the mission of these schools while you remain so acutely disenfranchised?

many? the morehouse's 08-09 class contained 5% white students..... Sorry, I was unaware that 5% was considered "many"

Oh, and we already went over the "mission" thing, maybe you should scroll up a few posts.

I'm curious to know why? So you think Wellesey is wrong in their mission to train and empower future women leaders? In a world dominated by men, I personally think Wellesey's mission is a noble task that has produced strong women such as Hillary Rodham Clinton, Emily Dickinson, Madeleine Albright, Katharine Hepburn and shown young girls the possibilities they can attain.

Point 2:So you feel discriminated that you cannot attend a gay high school? Umm, ok.

Yes.... I think I should be given equal opportunity to attend any school I want..... I don't think the color of my skin or the organs between my legs should change anything... or i guess now, my sexual preference too.

sigh....anyways...BD!!!!!

It is looking like I am going to be the only black male at UCSD matriculating this fall! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

so I will say that this argument gets tired after a while b/c all I ever hear is complaints about what's wrong with the system and never how to rectify the existing multifaceted problem within specific communities

08-09

Morehouse
-42 black
-3 white

Howard
-80 black
-8 white

Meharry
-82 black
-6 white

Howard core values

You can match them the same way the 6 Whites at Meharry did or maybe same the way the 8 Whites people at Howard did, or you always take a trip to Georgia and ask the 3 Whites at Morehouse how do they related to the school mission statement.

so I will say that this argument gets tired after a while b/c all I ever hear is complaints about what's wrong with the system and never how to rectify the existing multifaceted problem within specific communities

Good point.

Last edited:
Yes.... I think I should be given equal opportunity to attend any school I want..... I don't think the color of my skin or the organs between my legs should change anything... or i guess now, my sexual preference too.

Equal Opportunity is an ideal. It has never nor will it ever be 100% attainable in any society due to the complex factors and variables that play a role in determining people's choices in life.

That's like saying that you want what to be in a Society for Engineers when you are not an engineer. If your not a woman or gay why would you want to attend a school design for them.

And no school can deny you based on your race. If you really WANT to atttend an HBCU then you can. Who is stopping you.

On it's face this seems like a reasonable statement to make, but ignoring the history and present reality of educational/institutional disparities is pretty arrogant.

You honestly think that the low numbers of some groups are the result of an education system that provides equal opportunity for all?

You can't expect equal opportunity at the end of the tunnel, when you get a massive head-start at the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user

Magneto was way cooler

Witness 23,

I was giving feedback based on my recent application experience, and experience as a TPR mcat teacher. The feedback was offered with respect to his PUBLIC profiles, then I wished him luck, told him he was smart enough to get a 37 and acknowledged how hard it is to be a state resident in Ca. So I'm not sure what ur oh so cool one icon response means. Maybe we should start all sdn posts telling people they are the smartest people on the planet, that I am inferior to them and they will get into Stanford Medical School no matter what. This always happens in the Ga./HBCU thread. 3 schools get insulted, and then there is uproar if everyone posting doesnt agree with the insults.

That's like saying that you want what to be in a Society for Engineers when you are not an engineer. If your not a woman or gay why would you want to attend a school design for them.

And no school can deny you based on your race. If you really WANT to atttend an HBCU then you can. Who is stopping you.

So I was just reading this thread cause I was bored and the commotion seemed interesting. I don't really care to comment on my personal opinion on HCBU's or URMs in general.
I just had to say that the engineer analogy is ridiculous, like bordering a brain fart. A person has the choice to pursue a career in engineering or not, a person does not have a choice to select their ethnicity, gender, or race.

08-09

Morehouse
-42 black
-3 white

Howard
-80 black
-8 white

Meharry
-82 black
-6 white

Howard core values

Actually at MSM, the box people check that says Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Jewish,....way more than 3 people

Asian, oriental or Indian (and no we're not UNDER REPRESENTED in medicine - do you really see a shortage of Indians, Asians, in medicine, science, or computers? We are over represented in medicine and it makes it the hardest group to be in when applying) make up 7-9 people

Considering there are around 50 people there, its way less than 95% african american. Its diverse, but honestly very small, so if you are used to the bigger, well funded schools, like Stanford, Columbia, U Mich, UT @ Austin, this will be different. Of course as a non URM you have to adjust, but its not like people won't talk to u.
Also, I feel schools for women, minorities were set up in the past to give opportunity to those that had few options. Now that we don't live in those times, integrating a Sarah Lawrence or Howard, that's a transition and I see it happening.
Just bc u are anonymous on these sites, don't flame other schools, sometimes you can get caught and if you get too comfortable bashing, you might say the wrong thing in front of an MSM, Howard, Wellsley grad who is deciding your fate for residency, work etc. And I don't know about you guys, but when I have to say something negative to someone, I feel bad which is why I try to throw something positive in there. If you can insult people, their passions, alma mater, heritage and not feel bad, please get some therapy. I'm no the PC Princess or anything, but its really going to kill us to be nicer, some of us are colleagues since we are in med school already.

some of the previous qoute was in response to your message, not all of my message, I saw it posted and thought u might get the wrong idea.:laugh:

So I was just reading this thread cause I was bored and the commotion seemed interesting. I don't really care to comment on my personal opinion on HCBU's or URMs in general.
I just had to say that the engineer analogy is ridiculous, like bordering a brain fart. A person has the choice to pursue a career in engineering or not, a person does not have a choice to select their ethnicity, gender, or race.

Its true that you cant choice your race/gender but my analogy wasnt meant to argue that. My point was that I dont understand why a male would want an equal opportunity to go all woman school if he is a woman which to me is like someone wanting an equal opportunity to be an society for engineers when they are not engineers ect ect. IDK maybe it was ridiculous. But thats how I see things and I make good sense to me :)

Last edited:
Magneto was way cooler

ha yeah...I think so too! I am just trying to show respect to my four most favorite characters:

Magneto, Storm, Wolverine, and Phoenix...so obviously the next avatar is Wolverine

Maybe this is just taking a while to sink in through your skull but just to rephrase:

HBCUS ALLOW PEOPLE OF ANY COLOR TO APPLY AND GET IN (In fact, one of the HBCUs at the undergrad level is now majority white!).

The low percentage of white students who apply/matriculate can be attributed to:
1) People who think that these schools are inferior (like justdoit's family doctor)
2) People who apply randomly to schools without research and totally failing the "do you fit" test when they start seeing essay questiosn about the underserved
3) People who do not want to go to a school where they are the minority
and probably
4) The fact that there is a higher percentage of people in Black/minority community with high interest in minority issues and therefore "fitting" better.

Please take your bitterness elsewhere.

It is rather disheartening to read some of the previous comments in this thread. And yet, people wonder why AA is still needed and why racism is NOT a thing of the past. And to think, some of these people actually aspire to become Doctors. :eek:

"It is rather disheartening to read some of the previous comments in this thread. And yet, people wonder why AA is still needed and why racism is NOT a thing of the past. And to think, some of these people actually aspire to become Doctors"

+ 1

It is rather disheartening to read some of the previous comments in this thread. And yet, people wonder why AA is still needed and why racism is NOT a thing of the past. And to think, some of these people actually aspire to become Doctors. :eek:

Troll.

What program is it that we need to get with? All the schools in the country are historically white, so what are you saying? Oh I am sorry, they have a couple of minority students in their class. The HBCU's are exist because we were not given opportunities. Still to this day, minorities with great numbers aren't given opportunities by the other 123 medical school, but Howard, Morehouse and Meharry will give them that shot. Statistics don't mean a damn thing! So you can get outta here with that. What she said was wrong and I wanted to let it be known that she was wrong.
Ya, sure they aren't. I see black people everyday with 35s on their MCATs and 3.75 GPAs getting turned away from other schools...oh wait...no i don't.

Ya, sure they aren't. I see black people everyday with 35s on their MCATs and 3.75 GPAs getting turned away from other schools...oh wait...no i don't.

Go cry somewhere else. You're responding to a 4month old post...

Go cry somewhere else. You're responding to a 4month old post...
I am responding to a thread that was bumped fifteen minutes ago. Believe it or not, I don't look at the date and time of every post.

And I don't care, I am just saying it is preposterous to think that most schools wouldn't jump at the opportunity to accept a student with great scores and at the same time create some diversity in their class statistics.

ya, sure they aren't. I see black people everyday with 35s on their mcats and 3.75 gpas getting turned away from other schools...oh wait...no i don't.

i am responding to a thread that was bumped fifteen minutes ago. Believe it or not, i don't look at the date and time of every post.

And i don't care, i am just saying it is preposterous to think that most schools wouldn't jump at the opportunity to accept a student with great scores and at the same time create some diversity in their class statistics.

+1

And I don't care, I am just saying it is preposterous to think that most schools wouldn't jump at the opportunity to accept a student with great scores and at the same time create some diversity in their class statistics.

Good point, my mistake.

That would be what the statistics suggest.

I'm sure you'd feel the same way about 'historically white' or 'historically asian' medical schools. It's great that Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry were willing to give opportunities to blacks before the rest, but it's time to get with the program.

The statistics do not suggest that EVERYONE at these schools has lower scores/GPA. There are standouts at every school.

I think that HBCUs or schools whose main purpose is educating rural docs or docs that will serve native americans (thinking of schools like MN-Duluth or maybe Southern Illinois) definitely have a place. Odds are many people in my class will not be working with an underserved populations. While its true that we need more docs we definitely hurting in some areas more than others. I know MANY people with really high stats that were rejected from the schools I previously mentioned even though on paper the school don't look that competitive. "Did not meet the mission" of the school was the cited reason in the letters. I'm sure if a school wanted to boost its avg mcat/gpa it probably could be just accepting based on scores. In the end if you want to work with an underserved population you probably have some of the best opportunities and experiences by going to the schools with these missions. If you dont agree with the mission of the school dont waste your time or theirs.