Historically black medical schools and Army Medical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in the spirit of exploring my options, I have two questions:
1.I noticed that history black medical schools have lower average GPAs and MCAT. Do they discriminate against white people?
2. What are the cons of going to an Army medical school? Long required length of service? Do army doctors get paid the same amount as whatever rank they are (Major starting out I think.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of asking an inflammatory question, how about going to their websites and examining their mission statements?

1.I noticed that history black medical schools have lower average GPAs and MCAT. Do they discriminate against white people?

Thanks![/quote]

Reactions: 1 users
So, in the spirit of exploring my options, I have two questions:
2. What are the cons of going to an Army medical school? Long required length of service? Do army doctors get paid the same amount as whatever rank they are (Major starting out I think.)

Thanks!

1. It's much harder for non-URM's to get into a HBC. They have to show significant commitment to URM populations, etc..

2. You start as a Captain out of medical school. Pay does increase with rank and time in service although the bulk of your pay will come from whatever bonuses you get depending on your specialty, not your officer pay. I knew an Army doc (MD/PhD) who could have made general, but he actually would have taken a pay cut because when you're a general they assume you're not doing doctor stuff.

The "army medical school" you're referring to is USUHS, which accepts all branches of service (Navy, Air Force). There's many cons which other folks can expound upon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the Military Medical forum on SDN. Read the stickies and you'll have a good idea of the pros and cons of being in military med. If you still have questions looks at the USUHS website, also look into HPSP, FAP, MDSSP, STRAP, HPLRP. These are all different programs the military offers to help pay for medical school and if you decide you like one vs the other then call up a recruiter and start working through the details.

HBC's favor any student who's application shows a willingness to work in and contribute to minority communities. So if your EC's suggest that than you will be fine.