Historically Black Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a thread anyone can direct me to that discusses some of the historically black med schools, such as Howard and Meharry, completely independant of affirmative action debates? I am interested in other students' impressions of these schools, and perhaps even hearing from students who attend them. If anyone has any information on their admissions statistics or anything it would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Michelle

Members don't see this ad.

hey michelle,

i'd recommend doing a search for "howard" or "meharry"... then sort your results based on the number of posts.

Hey NubianPrincess, check out my post on this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=781334#post781334

It is a snippet about Howard. My number 2 choice for med school is Morehouse, though. It's funny how most threads about HBCU's leave this school out. I think people look at old medschool rankings and consider Morehouse a subpar-HBCU. Please note that the Morehouse student body is small (~35) and this close knitness really exemplifies the HBCU ideal of being family-oriented. Several of my friends are alumns and my cousin just graduated last year and is PGY-1 internal medicine at Harvard currently. What most people are impressed with when they meet Morehouse students is how friendly they are and how hard they work. Good luck on your path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty good post about Howard!

Thanks for the link to that thread!

I haven't had much luck searching this site for those schools :(

Hey Michelle,

I think your post is a good one and if you can't find any threads maybe you could start some. I think these schools have are great and have a cool tradition and deserve more of a focus on the excellent things they offer.

Michelle,
PM me if you want more info on Meharry....we are about to go into our first block of exams, but I check in periodically.

M.

The September issue of Ebony has a great feature article on historically black medical schools. Check it out!

I participated in a 10 week summer research program at Meharry and I loved the place! great school to learn medicine, great faculty, and the students were very happy. I am applying there...as well.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info on Morehouse School of Medicine! Shout out to folks in the class of 2007, and best of luck to all you applicants this year :)

Wellesley College c/o 2000
Morehouse School of Medicine c/0 2007

Originally posted by Mangs
Feel free to PM me if you need more info on Morehouse School of Medicine! Shout out to folks in the class of 2007, and best of luck to all you applicants this year :)

Wellesley College c/o 2000
Morehouse School of Medicine c/0 2007

Mangs - How did the summer term go? Isn't that session a requirement for all incoming students? Great to see you represent "the house"! There are some really fantastic folks at Morehouse: Karen Lewis, Dr. Patrickson...etc...Best wishes to you!

efex101 - hey there fellow OPMer! I'm looking forward to hearing your "acceptance speech(es)" in a few months. Good luck!

femdoc - thanks for the heads up...will check the article out. Cheers!

grambeling state

Originally posted by rjmst
grambeling state

Princeton Med is really good as well =)