History of Medicine- Anyone else interested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I liked the book "history of medicine". basically like to read about important people and their lives. Like how john hunter injected himself with syphillis and gonorrhea. or how one of the most famous american doctors was addicted to morphine. it's a bit like reading about celebrities. so i'd like something similar to read.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a class on medicine in the ancient greco-roman worlds and it was awesome. I loved all their crazy theories (eg. wandering womb). One of the most interesting ideas to me was the four humors theory because it actually made a lot of sense (assuming no knowledge of modern science)... if I lived back then, I would probably have believed it for sure.
It's also interesting how much they got right considering the lack of modern technology. Really fascinating stuff.

I considered majoring in history and philosophy of science before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked the book Knife Man. It is a biography of John Hunter's life.

His discoveries were years before his time and it is interesting to see the correlation of what he practiced, to how it has been refined in today's world.

i love these ancient random thread bumps.

when i saw Dropkick as the OP i thought, "wasn't that d_____bag banned?"

cool topic though, yeah. i love learning about old science paradigms in general. phlogiston, ether, spontaneous generation (love that one), humours, elemental essences. always makes me wonder what our equivalents are today. what theory today, that we generally take for granted as true, is totally off the mark?