History of Medicine - MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espadaleader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted about this previously, but my thread was shot down.

I am wondering if anyone has historical MCAT materials (pre-1980) or knows how to receive them. I am thinking of calling the AAMC.

I read the NEJM regular and I always read one or two archived articles. I would like to track the development of admissions requirements.

I read the Flexner report and it got me going. If you haven't read it check it out. Back then schools only required high school education.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just checked out the brief, condensed Wiki summary of the Flexner Report. Really interesting, thanks for the tip.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, you might check out Paul Starr's classic text:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Social-Tr...he+social+transformation+of+american+medicine

A Pulitzer Prize winner and the classic, go-to, broad-outlines book for the evolution of medicine, medical practice, medical education, and healthcare institutions in the United States, up until the 1980s. It also includes predictions that lay out exactly what would happen to the health care system in the United States in the 30 years after the book was published. There is also of course a detailed discussion of the Flexner report, Flexner himself, the historical context of American medicine that preceded it, and the consequences of Flexner's reforms.

Starr is still alive and still highly regarded.

You just reminded me, actually, to re-read it as I continue on the interview trail. The history of medicine is awesome.

Last edited: