history of psychopharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freudianslipp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, can people give me the names of some of the best books on the history psychopharmacology? i want all the stories of how our drugs came to be for some research i'm doing.
david healy used to be a big name in this area...is he still the guy? feel free to drop as many titles as you'd like! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Healy, exactly: Amazon product

You may also look into articles in the Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, I’ve seen a bunch on history of discovery of individual psych drugs like Prozac, Risperdal etc.

I just want to know how and why shrinks have watered themselves down to being either a therapist or a psychopharmacologist. And this is within academic institutions too.

smh. Why can't we just be a doctor?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to know how and why shrinks have watered themselves down to being either a therapist or a psychopharmacologist. And this is within academic institutions too.

Insurance reimbursements and productivity demands?

Reactions: 1 users

I'm reading Healy's Mania: A Short History of Bipolar Disorder right now, inspired by this thread. I think it goes a long way toward answering your question. It's a fascinating read.

Reactions: 1 user