History of RadOnc in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was the first RadOnc residency in the US? I know we've split from Radiology sometimes in early 70's.

Members don't see this ad.

The first residency training program 'specifically' for radiation oncology was at Penrose hospital in Colorado, to the best of my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
the real question is:
what was the first residency that did not require you to do Radiology first?

Along that line, what were the original first 3 NCI-designated cancer centers? I know MDACC was one of them, but can't find much on the other two... was Duke one of them?

The 4 original models studied in 1971 for the program (NCI Comprehensive designation)-were MDACC, Fox Chase, Roswell Park, MSK. Then in 1973, the first 8 Comprehensive NCI designated centers were announced. Two of the 8 were Fred Hutch and Duke.

Last edited:
This publication provides a history of the Penrose program. It appears that there was a program specifically for training in radiation oncology (therapeutic radiology) without need for (preceding) specific training in general radiology. The article is a great read.

PMID: 3058660

Unfortunately I can't access this article (my intern year's database isnt the most comprehensive)... Any chance someone would be able to send it to me?