History of shoulder procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quizlet04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone asked me recently about how approach to a shoulder dislocation + forearm break has changed over the past 60 years. I have no idea where to start looking. Any old-timers want to chip in?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

This question is very vague. Do you mean surgical approach? Operative indications? Forearm fractures and shoulder dislocations are separate injuries. One, both, or neither can be treated operatively.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

All of the above. In a person with a same sided shoulder dislocation and forearm fracture, how would an orthopedist from the 1960's have treated this? Surgical? Non-surgical? I'm assuming non-displaced fractures.

A range of options would be great.

That requires a long response... But basically... In the 60s, arthroplasty and ORIF were not yet at their best so yes there is a chance the forearm would be treated nonoperatively. If there is no fracture, dislocation is usually treated without surgery even today. You just have to reduce it and that would be done both in the 60s and today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile