Hm, what would you guys do in this situation? (trying to get into a class)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maestrojo

re-pre-Pharm.....
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need to take a year of General Biology and 1 semester biochemistry in order to meet the requirements to apply for the Fall 07 year.

I've gotten into the biochem class but the general biology class is full. I want to sit-in (crash) on the lecture and lab but the most important thing is to try to get into a lab. The problem is, the general biology and biochemistry lab are at the same times.

I know that they will drop you if you are not present on the first day of class. I can take biochem in the spring but I have to get into general biology. I need a year of it. But If I go to the general biology lab and don't get in, then i'll also be dropped from biochemistry and i'll be screwed out of 2 classes instead of just 1.

What I want to do is get into the General Biology lectuer/lab and take Biochemistry in the spring, but it may not work out.

so, what would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call or send an email to the instructors of both lab sections and explain the situation. Maybe the biochem instructor will allow you to check in with him/her and then run over to the biology lab to get yourself on the list. Or you might even be able to arrange that in advance.

Good luck.

more schools require bio as a pre-pharm requirement than biochem so i would try to get into bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADN1226 said:
more schools require bio as a pre-pharm requirement than biochem so i would try to get into bio.

Thats what I wsa thinking of too. But for some reason just about all the Pharmacy schools on the west coast require it.

Plu sI have to have a year of general bio. So if I want to qualify for Fall 07 I have to get into the class this semester.

i believe UOP doesnt require biochem....isnt biochem a semester class?? so you can take it in the spring and take bio this fall and then the spring. and the ideas from above are good ones. talk to each instructor before classes begins and explain your situation. so maybe talk to the biochem instructor and explain your situation and let him know that you might be coming in late on the first day or something. and if you cant get into the bio class then you can take biochem. does your school offer a gen bio over the summer? maybe if you cant take bio in fall you can take it in spring and summer. or you can take your bio class at a CC if you want.

ttran01 gave a really good idea I didn't think about. My school offers biochem in the summer so you could do bio1/2 in the year and biochem in the summer. But then its also strange... don't you need bio 1/2 to do biochem? as a pre-req? My school also has bio 1/2 in the summer but I would think its a lil too much compared to just biochem. You should def look into the summer option, for some schools, as long as you you complete your pre-pharms before you enter their school.

ADN1226 said:
ttran01 gave a really good idea I didn't think about. My school offers biochem in the summer so you could do bio1/2 in the year and biochem in the summer. But then its also strange... don't you need bio 1/2 to do biochem? as a pre-req? My school also has bio 1/2 in the summer but I would think its a lil too much compared to just biochem. You should def look into the summer option, for some schools, as long as you you complete your pre-pharms before you enter their school.

I know lots of community colleges offer biology online and you can take your tests at approved locations all over the country. I wouldn't recommend online sciences usually but in your case, go for it. The community college here, www.fccj.edu offers it.

ADN1226 said:
My school offers biochem in the summer so you could do bio1/2 in the year and biochem in the summer. But then its also strange... don't you need bio 1/2 to do biochem? as a pre-req?

i dont get it...so you're saying that a pre-req for biochem is bio 1/2? so if you do bio during the year and biochem in summer...wouldnt you have met the pre-req for biochem?

but anyways, if you do decide to take a pharmacy pre-req during the summer that you make sure your school or some other school around you offers it.

GatorRxGirl said:
I know lots of community colleges offer biology online and you can take your tests at approved locations all over the country. I wouldn't recommend online sciences usually but in your case, go for it. The community college here, www.fccj.edu offers it.

if you decide to go that route, make sure the schools you're applying to accept online sciences, they might have a problem with that. for online sciences, how do labs work out?