Hmm. . .any advice for an ambitious sophomore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have 4 months of summer vacation before I start junior year. What should I do during those months in order to help my application? I was gonna self-study for the MCAT and finish my last distribution requirement. Good? Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, don't study for the MCAT until December or January. Have fun! Work, save cash and maybe volunteer at a hospital or something. Save the MCAT for a few months...you have time for that. Enjoy your summer now.

i dont know what you've done previously, so this may be irrelevant: if i were you, id log some research experience or "real life" experience. if studying for the mcat is your summer goal, it is possible to do both research/clinical exp and study.

whatever you do, don't remain dormant!

just my $.02 :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree about not studying for the MCAT yet.

If you are going to study by yourself, I suggest get the Kaplan book now and start reviewing it. If you can discipline yourself over the summer to study just a few hours a week I really think it will ease your stress when winter break arrives. I'm not saying to go nuts with practice tests and what not, but a least look at all of the material so that you can be confident that you've been exposed to everything that will be on the test. Then over winter break, do LOTS of practice tests.

sternrower

Go to Africa..volunteer there...

If you don't do that...GO TO AFRICA!

If you can't do that...GO TO AFRICA!

If you're not sure about it....GO TO AFRICA!

Let's not forget Thailand, Vietnam or any number of other locales where one may differentiate themselves. --Trek