HMOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paranoid Android

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I have a couple of interviews coming up this weekend and I'm thinking about reading up on HMOs and other current issues facing health care. Anybody know of any good sources of literature (possibly on the web) that I could learn about HMOs from the ground up. I literally don't know much about them at all, so any help you could offer would be appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you know what I find interesting..is that so many of us claim to know what we are "getting into" yet we don't know that much about HMO's. Now, I am definitely NOT immune from this either...but don't you find it interesting how many of us do not really understand many of the issues facing medicine today? Is it all the biology we have to take and lack of medically related courses that causes this?

From what I've been reading, the trend is away from HMO's. Yay!!!!! People have heard way too many stories about coverage for needed care denied by faceless, undereducated HMO bureaucrats (Hmmm.. can an HMO employee be a bureaucrat, or is that term reserved for governmental idiots?). Can't recall where I read that, but I'll try to dig it up. I think it was in an article about how health care costs are about to take a big jump again, with many employers poised to pass the additional costs on to their employees.

Members don't see this ad :)
simpleton: That website is super informative!! Thanks!!

Try www.amsa.org, they have tons of info about managed care vs. single provider. Also, if you join AMSA, you get a daily e-mail with tons of info about the important issues in health care today.