HMS Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somekevinguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...well, I'm going to be THAT guy and start a thread for our entering class. Everyone else has one, so why not us huh? :)

Feel free to post whatever might be of interest. For starters, anyone planning on going on FEAT? I'll be there.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm going on the "urban experience" thingie instead.

btw, what are you doing for the summer?

somekevinguy said:
Ok...well, I'm going to be THAT guy and start a thread for our entering class. Everyone else has one, so why not us huh? :)

Feel free to post whatever might be of interest. For starters, anyone planning on going on FEAT? I'll be there.

I think it's awesome that you started a thread for your school....It's about time considering all the other schools have an official page, but where are the HMS students? Don't be shy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto. bump. harvard as we can see has a lot of enthusiasm! :)

nah joking. you all are really cool :thumbup:

YAY for starting an HMS thread! I'm off to the urban experience (FUNC) in August...and on the waitlist for Vandy (cross your fingers for me!)
What is everyone doing this summer? I'm off to India Thursday and hoping to survive monsoon season!

ok i didn't realize vandy is the name of a dorm, my bad. :p :p have fun on your trip lilmspiano!

Hey Somekevinguy, did I meet you at the scond look? Are you the one of the few cali I meet (did you goto Berkeley)? I find it really interesting that in the second look I did not see more california people. In the HST second look group I was the only one who went to school in cal, let alone from a public :eek:
I just got my apt number for vandy the other day, but it's strange how the mail box number is not the same. So what would be my address?
I'm not going to be at the activities before orientation, heading over to Japan and China after I finish up here. I have got to live it up while I still can.

I think the reason why there is no HMS thread is because we are all so modest that we do not want to bring attention to ourselfs. We all know how annoying the "should I goto prestige school X or Y" threads can be :laugh:

Sweet sorrow, noisy silence, Icy Hot. To this list I add:

Pandora's Box said:
I think the reason why there is no HMS thread is because we are all so modest that we do not want to bring attention to ourselfs. We all know how annoying the "should I goto prestige school X or Y" threads can be :laugh:

:rolleyes:

Pandora's Box said:
Hey Somekevinguy, did I meet you at the scond look? Are you the one of the few cali I meet (did you goto Berkeley)? I find it really interesting that in the second look I did not see more california people. In the HST second look group I was the only one who went to school in cal, let alone from a public :eek:
I just got my apt number for vandy the other day, but it's strange how the mail box number is not the same. So what would be my address?
I'm not going to be at the activities before orientation, heading over to Japan and China after I finish up here. I have got to live it up while I still can.

Pandora's Box is the coolest guy ever! Harvard is going to be lucky to have him! Too bad Cali will be missing out! You better come to D&B on Thurday!

Lilmspiano said:
YAY for starting an HMS thread! I'm off to the urban experience (FUNC) in August...and on the waitlist for Vandy (cross your fingers for me!)
What is everyone doing this summer? I'm off to India Thursday and hoping to survive monsoon season!

Hey lilmspiano-

I didn't know that they had a waitlist for vandy- i thought it was guaranteed housing? Also, when did they send you the housing stuff? I sent my stuff mid/late May and have yet to receive anything.....

Any other HMS folks have/lack their housing info? Thanks.

Hey somekevinguy--
There's only a waitlist for idiots like me who thought they could get away with sending in their forms 4 days late...
You should be fine!! If you're worried, you can also call the office there (just google Vanderbilt Hall, Harvard and you'll find the number).

Pandora's Box said:

Yeah, not too many cali people. ANd Im pretty sure I met you...you went to uci yeah? (I went to Cal, yes). Ill let ya know what room I end up with. Anyhow, I'm out for now.

skg

I am doing the urban experience too :) See you all soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for the HMS kids-

How strict is the HST requirement for physics w/calc? I have one semester of it, but the second semester I took it without calc because of scheduling conflicts. However, I have Calc. I-III.

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Treg

Treg said:
I have a question for the HMS kids-

How strict is the HST requirement for physics w/calc? I have one semester of it, but the second semester I took it without calc because of scheduling conflicts. However, I have Calc. I-III.

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Treg

I think you need Calc IV (diff. equations). For your question: I don't think so, but you might be able to challenge the class.

Hmmm...there is no way I am taking that class now. Alright, I guess I will be trying for NP.
:luck:

Treg

wow, it seems like everyone's doing func (or at least those hms'ers on sdn). am i gonna be walking around in the woods by myself? Any FEATers out there?

Also, are most folks living in Vandy? I finally got my room assignment a few days ago. room 202 for me

somekevinguy - Looks like I'll only be a couple of doors down from you on the second floor. I hope I get one of those fireplace rooms like on the vanderbilt hall website - those look so sweet. I'm dental medicine, but I think dental and medical take a few of the same classes in first/second year.

Greetings fellow HMSers,

I received my Vandy information yesterday. 327, baby!!! The third floor will be rockin next year.

Kevin, I will be doing FEAT as well. I dont know how East Coast backpacking will compare to the Sierras/Cascades but it should be a fun time.

Pandora- i think we met briefly. you werent the only one from a cali school at revisit...although some may not consider stanford a cali school. with so many Harvards, Yalies, and MITs in HST, i agree that us west coast folk are rare.

i cant wait until august. since i am working on my family's farm in the middle of nowhere in washington, i am hella bored this summer. PM me or AIM me if you want to chat about HMS. i have nothing better to do...

Does anyone know if we can get health insurance from harvard for the summer?

-LG

hi somekevinguy and looseygoosey, i'll be at feat also, and i got 374 as my room, the third floor will be fun! hope you guys have a good summer, see you in a few months!!!

Hey all,

Wanted to drop in and say hello - I?m spending the summer in Spain and China, but I?ll be back for FEAT (!), so I?m looking forward to some time in the woods.

By the way, anyone know anything about the 5th floor of Vandy?...got my room assignment :)

looseygoosey said:
Greetings fellow HMSers,

I received my Vandy information yesterday. 327, baby!!! The third floor will be rockin next year.

Does anyone know if we can get health insurance from harvard for the summer?

-LG

Third floor seems like the place to be. Hope you?ll be open to visitors from above...

About health insurance, I don?t think we can get it from school over this summer - a FEAT letter said it usually starts around September 1st and recommended buying short term medical insurance until then.

I?d see if your former school/place of employment covers this summer or you can extend via COBRA. Alternatively, hop on your parents? coverage if possible, or buy your own short-term. I bought an international medical policy that covers some domestic time (just enough for when I get back until when school starts, including FEAT) for about $150.

Lilmspiano said:
and on the waitlist for Vandy (cross your fingers for me!)

Had to get myself a clean pair of underwear after reading this one.

he meant the waitlist for the vandy DORM (vanderbilt hall), not the med school vandy :)

I figured that out after I got the new pair.

I was wondering for those of you who is going to attend HMS next year, are most of u guys going directly from ur undergrad. institutions? Did anyone of u take the path of maybe research for a year after undergrad or got MS?

byong_soo said:
I was wondering for those of you who is going to attend HMS next year, are most of u guys going directly from ur undergrad. institutions? Did anyone of u take the path of maybe research for a year after undergrad or got MS?

I took a year off (worked in a research lab, and did a lot of traveling). I highly suggest taking time off for a change of perspectives, and for doing something you always hoped/dreamed of doing:)

byong_soo said:

Between having a 4.0, saving a country in western Africa, and finding the cure for cancer....do you really think that they have the time for that?

pureofheart said:
I took a year off (worked in a research lab, and did a lot of traveling). I highly suggest taking time off for a change of perspectives, and for doing something you always hoped/dreamed of doing:)

Inherent problem with this: not all of us have the money.

Ah, but you see, you don't have to have "the money" for that. I took 2 yrs off to do Teach for America and will come out of it with $45,000+ in savings plus the $9,700 tuition credit that TFA gives you. Thought I would end up a pauper when I got into it, but doin the right thing sometime pays!

And lest I forget, TFA also qualifies you for loan forbearance, so don't worry about that either.

Hello everyone,

I just sent off my Vandy housing contract - I'll be on the fourth floor. As for this summer, I'm teaching MCAT classes and helping a friend with his own travel business.

I do have one question for my incoming classmates - has anyone received the financial aid/loan contracts? I can't remember if the financial aid office said June or July, and I didn't want to mess that up. Thanks! I look forward to meeting you all in September.

Fermata said:
Inherent problem with this: not all of us have the money.

I didn't either. I went to Vietnam and Inner Mongolia on a research grant - not a cruise:) If a person truly sets his/her heart on something, most of the time, there will be ways for things to happen.

Just want to clear things up officially-- I'm on the waiting list for Vandy the DORM, not the school. I was dumb and sent in my form a few days late. And by the way, I'm a girl... as in "Lil' Ms. Piano"...(screenname since fourth grade)...

Lilmspiano said:
Just want to clear things up officially-- I'm on the waiting list for Vandy the DORM, not the school. I was dumb and sent in my form a few days late. And by the way, I'm a girl... as in "Lil' Ms. Piano"...(screenname since fourth grade)...

Hey Lil' Ms. Piano, I'm in the same boat. I've called that office for housing. They actually told me that the "wait-list" is not guaranteed. Is that what you've heard as well?

Sorry to abuse the thread- just wondering if any prospective HMS-ers are looking for off-campus housing and room-mates...
I also turned my forms for Vandy in late.
Please let me know if you have a place and need a room-mate or know someone who is looking to live off-campus near HMS. PM me.

Also a great idea for this all to gel together is if we create a yahoo groups site. I will try to set one up and post the link on this thread. That way we can connect there to post, and to find room-mates, used textbooks, etc. The kids at UCSF started one, and I think it's a great idea.
Take care, and see you guys in Sept

ordinarygraces, good idea about the yahoo groups, and good luck with the apartment search!

i have a question for all of you, do you know if hms recommends/requires us to get a palm thingy for our first year, or can we wait until the clinical years? i know that different schools have different requirements so i was wondering if i should save up some money for that soon.

thanks, take care everybody!!!

priscy921 said:
i have a question for all of you, do you know if hms recommends/requires us to get a palm thingy for our first year, or can we wait until the clinical years? i know that different schools have different requirements so i was wondering if i should save up some money for that soon.

QUOTE]

an upperclass man told me that palms don't come in useful until the clinical years.

ordinarygraces said:
hi

i just created a yahoo groups website for the HMS class of 2008.
It's at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hmsclassof2008
come join, and meet the other people in the class, etc

I am not that web-savvy, but it's a start.

Thanks! I was thinking that was a good idea...those UCSF kids hehe.

Also, I was wondering...do you folks know when we're supposed to get our emails and student ID's (or at least the number)?