Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

HMS revisit impressions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NSF, May 4, 2002.

1. NSF

NSF Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm wondering what those of you who made it to the May 3 revisit thought about everything.

It seemed that almost everyone I met was nearly settled on going to HMS. Did most of your impressions improve or stay the same after the revisit? Did anybody's impression of Harvard Med worsen?

I was a little unhappy with the tutorial I sat in on, but everything else was nice.

All the students and faculty seem so friendly and happy, and that counts for a lot, too.

2. bots

bots Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi RAB,

I enjoyed HMS' revisit. Although it was poorly organized, I was able to receive the proper information, and by talking to students many of my questions were answered. After going there, I've decided that that's where I'm going to go to school, thereby ending a long and arduous selection process. I've been told by many people that the selection of Harvard as place to go to school is a "no-brainer," but I certainly don't think that it is. However, given my interests and plans (or lack thereof), it's the best choice for me. Here's the bottom line of what I got out of the weekend:

High risk= high reward

This may seem like a silly way to look at things, but ultimately I think that going to Harvard is marked by the high risk/reward ratio. Basically, there's no real structure to the program, and everybody teaches everybody else. Your risk is extreme, in that your education is very much up to yourself. There's not as much oversight over what you learn, and it's possible that you'll have gaps in knowledge. In contrast to other medical schools, you are more responsible for your education than anywhere else.
    That being said, the potential for other explorations and interests is amazing. I haven't seen any other school where people do as much outside of class-- they're simply not able to, giving the structure at other places. Here you have the afternoons off, and that allows community service, working in the lab, taking other classes, etc.... I met some people that were working in the lab for 15-20 hours a week without problems. Can you imagine that kind of flexibility at other schools? You are more responsible, but you can do more.
    Things like the tutorial work the same way. I talked to a couple of other students who had bad tutorials, but mine was rather cool. The students were all debating over the case, and every once in a while the tutor would chim in to guide the conversation, answer questions, or to bring up questions that he felt should be answered. Everybody got along well, and it was quite obvious that people were all examining the same issue from different perspectives. Whereas some people were really into the chemical pathways and mechanisms, others were focused on the social and lifestyle implications of the disease and the treatment.
    Then again, some days people aren't going to be prepared, and sometime people won't be as motivated. That's why I think it's up to the students to learn themselves and motivate themselves. It might work for some, but it won't work for others. I think it will work for me; I'm willing to take the risk.

If you have any questions, PM me. I hope to see you there next year.

BOTS