Hobbie...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatbreeze

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a fellow 2nd year osteopathic student who is suffering from a huge amount of burn out!

The reason I think I'm feeling this way I think, is I have surrounded myself with school a little too much. So, I think I need a hobbie of sorts. Does any one have any ideas for good hobbies, for a 2nd year medstudent (boards are on the way). I start to think of hobbie's like learning an instrument, like guitar, or yoga or something. The only problems that come to mind are:
1) I might loose brain space, learning something new, which could be applied to school.
2) Not being around school could set me up for failure...the time I spend doing this hobbie, everyone else will be studying, hence I might be behind?

Basically, none of my classmates do anything, that I know of, besides school and exercise. Acutally, I've brought up the idea of a hobbie with friends and most say I'm weird.

Please help me in terms of hobbies that have worked for you and how you scheduled them with classes and studying.

Thanx so much guys..

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you need some time to relax and reflect. Just out curiosity, what school do you go to?...sounds sort of scary ;)

I think yoga would be a great thing for you. The idea is that you focus on a difficult position in order to clear your mind and relax. The philosophy extends much further, but I don't think you would need to worry about it.

Playing guitar is one that I do when I am stressed, it works well...especially when no one is around.

Sports are a favorite of mine, taking a walk by yourself with no destination, watching a movie...anything where you can just unwind. I like walking my dog because I just reflect about everything thats going on in my life.

People will always be studying, and although a little comparison of your study time vs. their study time is good...don't always put in more time because someone else is. You can also do many activities when you get home after school and studying. Besides the more you get burnt out, the less effective your studying will be, right? Try to get your weird friends involved with something too, maybe you guys could join some sort of city league sport or something...or have a poker night one weekend a month or something.

Hope it helps a little bit.

get a gf! :)

that will fix your current needs, and give you other needs :D

Members don't see this ad :)
greatbreeze said:
Hey guys,

I'm a fellow 2nd year osteopathic student who is suffering from a huge amount of burn out!

The reason I think I'm feeling this way I think, is I have surrounded myself with school a little too much. So, I think I need a hobbie of sorts. Does any one have any ideas for good hobbies, for a 2nd year medstudent (boards are on the way). I start to think of hobbie's like learning an instrument, like guitar, or yoga or something. The only problems that come to mind are:
1) I might loose brain space, learning something new, which could be applied to school.
2) Not being around school could set me up for failure...the time I spend doing this hobbie, everyone else will be studying, hence I might be behind?

Basically, none of my classmates do anything, that I know of, besides school and exercise. Acutally, I've brought up the idea of a hobbie with friends and most say I'm weird.

Please help me in terms of hobbies that have worked for you and how you scheduled them with classes and studying.

Thanx so much guys..

If you study in sports bars, you won't get burnt out. Quit going to the library.

While it is not necessarily a hobby, per se, my friends and I have instituted a Night Out every Friday. Basically, we go to a different place each week--whether it be a new restaurant/bar, a museum, or someone's apartment--and we made it a rule that after 5 p.m., we cannot discuss school or else. ;)

n0chi said:

Agreed! A tivo will also help.

I actually just picked up a new hobby within the last year. I never thought of it as a hobby, until recently. I love cooking and baking. Obviously, I don't have time to make gourmet meals every night, but over the weekends I try one or two new recipes. It's great because most of the recipes I can make in large portions and have leftovers for lunch/dinner throughout the week. It doesn't take too much extra time out of your schedule, because you have to eat sometime. Plus, it's a very useful skill and can save you money in the long run. My favorite place to find new recipes is www.allrecipes.com. Good luck finding a hobby!

n0chi said:

Doesn't really even need to be a gf. I think a good goal would be two legs and walks.

You could try any of Borat's hobbies - Table tennis, disco dancing and sun bathing.

GOLF!!! :thumbup:

Need I say more

greatbreeze said:
Hey guys,

Get your motorcycle license. Riding is a great hobby - there's nothing like logging a hundred miles on a good road to clear one's head. Added benefits: no loss of brain space, improved gas mileage vs. riding a car, you can do your hobby while commuting to school, and it's just plain fun.

If you do - wear gear. And in the interests of full disclosure, understand that a serious crash could result in your failing out of medical school and spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair drooling on yourself.

Take a look ... http://www.theworldsmostpowerfulnakedbike.com

learn the guitar. if you have an ear for music it's super easy to pick up. i've played piano for years and it took me no time at all to learn. piano would be alright too but it'll take more time to really be good at it. guitar won't cost you as much, used beginner acoustic guitars can easily run under $50. plus the tabs for every song you've ever dreamed of playing can be found for free online, whereas you have to buy most piano sheet music.

another bonus is, lots of people don't realize that it's pretty simple so they're easily impressed by it :)

Don't compare yourself to others and feel guilty when you take time off school. That alone will drive somebody crazy and is asking for burnout. Live your life, at your own pace... if you take up a hobby and then worry the entire time that others are studying and you're not, it'll only hurt you more. Just chill, do what you need to do and balance your life. You won't be that far behind if you take up a hobby for an hour a day, 3 days a week.

What about something physically exerting like sports. Getting involved with a sport will allow you to make new friends and clear your mind. I suggest boxing, kickboxing, submission grappling, or wrestling. It's nice to take your mind off of studying. It's hard to think about studying when you're trying to avoid being punched in the head or choked out! :D BTW, anyone who's involved in combat sports like these know there is alot more than just physical abilities needed; it's like playing a chess game with your body. Whatever you do, just manage your time well.

I shoot!!! Clay shooting (orange clay disks w/ shotguns) and pistol shooting! Great way to get rid of stress.