Hobbies and honors/awards description question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sosleepy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you guys list hobbies? For example would you do it like this:

Position title: Hobbies
Organization: don't know what to put here
Description: Hobby #1 (start date)
Hobby #2 (start date)
etc....

Also for the honors and awards section the instruction makes a note to explain awards that occur multiple times. How can we do this? I don't see a description section. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't remember how I listed hobbies, but it was probably something like you mentioned.

For honors and awards, use the title line to the best of your abilities. So if you got multiple Dean's list awards, you'd put something like "Dean's List, x times (year of first award-year of last award)"

I can't remember how I listed hobbies, but it was probably something like you mentioned.

For honors and awards, use the title line to the best of your abilities. So if you got multiple Dean's list awards, you'd put something like "Dean's List, x times (year of first award-year of last award)"

I can't fit that in the title. Also for hobbies, what should i put for the organization name?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hobbies isn't a section. Seriously this is the most ridiculous thing to include on resumes/cv/apps.

I can't fit that in the title. Also for hobbies, what should i put for the organization name?

If there's another section for the timeline, just put the first and last years there and save the title space.

Hobbies isn't a section. Seriously this is the most ridiculous thing to include on resumes/cv/apps.

Yeah it is kind of silly.

But then, I've done secondaries that give you space for that. And an interviewer squeezed in a question about them at the last minute.

You guys are freaking me out now. I submitted my AACOMAS last night, I don't remember enountering a section, or a a question asking about hobbies. There was no place to upload resumes/CV's. What are you guys talking about? Did I swallow a cyanide pill without knowing it?

You guys are freaking me out now. I submitted my AACOMAS last night, I don't remember enountering a section, or a a question asking about hobbies. There was no place to upload resumes/CV's. What are you guys talking about? Did I swallow a cyanide pill without knowing it?

did you already fill out the application for your cyanide pill or what

Reactions: 1 user
did you already fill out the application for your cyanide pill or what

What I meant was that I didn't list any hobbies on my AACOMAS application. I don't even remember a question asking about hobbies. So what are you guys talking about?

What I meant was that I didn't list any hobbies on my AACOMAS application. I don't even remember a question asking about hobbies. So what are you guys talking about?

It's just an addition that some are including within the EC/Volunteer section

Its filler, more or less?

Don't think it has much impact either way. Perhaps might show well-roundedness?

Guys don't worry. It's not necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
As ridiculous as it may sound, Catalystik, an ADCOM here, has stated that hobbies should be listed as they show dedication to something outside of medicine and show you're a well rounded applicant.

As ridiculous as it may sound, Catalystik, an ADCOM here, has stated that hobbies should be listed as they show dedication to something outside of medicine and show you're a well rounded applicant.

What if my hobbies are video games though? :cool:

Then why don't they have a damn "hobby" section?! Everyone has hobbies.

What if you're a member of clubs that are dedicated to your hobbies? (Ex. tennis, anime, basketball, etc).

I didn't put basketball because I'm Black, so I'm assuming they know I'm good at it. :cool:

Reactions: 2 users

What if the majority of your long term volunteer work isn't even medicine related in the first place? :rolleyes:

What if the majority of your long term volunteer work isn't even medicine related in the first place? :rolleyes:
So? Not everything has to apply to you for it to exist.

Then why don't they have a damn "hobby" section?! Everyone has hobbies.
That's why the section is called "extracurricular, volunteer, community service."

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/theartofgettingaccepted/f/what-is-an-extracurricular-activity.htm

The Common Application as well as many individual college applications group together extracurricular activities with community service, volunteer work, family activities and hobbies

And not everyone has significant hobbies. One of my hobbies is watching movies, but I'm not listing it because it's insignificant. I also play an instrument. I put a lot of active learning hours into it, so that's significant.

What if you're a member of clubs that are dedicated to your hobbies? (Ex. tennis, anime, basketball, etc).
Yes, that shows deeper dedication and social interactions with alike people.

Last edited:
So? Not everything has to apply to you for it to exist.

That's why the section is called "extracurricular, volunteer, community service."

And not everyone has significant hobbies. One of my hobbies is watching movies, but I'm not listing it because it's insignificant. I also play an instrument. I put a lot of active learning hours into it, so that's significant.

Yes, that shows deeper dedication and social interactions with alike people.

I just thought it was obvious that people have hobbies and if it doesn't add to your app, don't put it. I play piano and guitar... So can I add that even if my app is already verified or should I just not worry about it ?

I just thought it was obvious that people have hobbies and if it doesn't add to your app, don't put it. I play piano and guitar... So can I add that even if my app is already verified or should I just not worry about it ?
If the system lets you update it, you can add it. I think it's only the grades that you inserted that cannot be modified. Will it make a huge difference? I don't know. My boss, a top academic and professor at the school of medicine, prefers people with significant hobbies as he is learning to play Jazz piano. If I were a guy evaluating the app, I wouldn't care about hobbies.

If the system lets you update it, you can add it. I think it's only the grades that you inserted that cannot be modified. Will it make a huge difference? I don't know. My boss, a top academic and professor at the school of medicine, prefers people with significant hobbies as he is learning to play Jazz piano. If I were a guy evaluating the app, I wouldn't care about hobbies.

I clicked add another record and it just goes to the top of the page and nothing happens, so I guess it doesn't let u. Thanks for the advice though

Oh you were serious. If you left them out, it's not a big deal. Like I said, you will probably have other opportunities to talk about them.

I've updated my EC on aacomas during last cycle so it is possible! :) They send an updated copy to the schools you applied to the following wed.

Oh you were serious. If you left them out, it's not a big deal. Like I said, you will probably have other opportunities to talk about them.

As a married man with a kid, I don't have much hobbies except spending quality time with my family, going out to eat, and experiment with cooking.

I was freaking out thinking there was a Hobbies Section that I accidentally skipped or something. I had listed 9 different entries on my EC's page. I also have extensive employment history. All in all, it is easy for ADCOM to acknowledge that someone with such hectic schedule will hardly develop any hobby.

As a married man with a kid, I don't have much hobbies except spending quality time with my family, going out to eat, and experiment with cooking.

I was freaking out thinking there was a Hobbies Section that I accidentally skipped or something. I had listed 9 different entries on my EC's page. I also have extensive employment history. All in all, it is easy for ADCOM to acknowledge that someone with such hectic schedule will hardly develop any hobby.
You'll be fine. I don't think anyone has ever been rejected based on not listing hobbies.

Why would you list an organization as a hobby? A hobby is something like marathon running. It doesn't need a description.

I grouped them together with club memberships and some smaller volunteering experiences in one big listing. Sure, it is a wall of text but condensing your entries down makes things more reasonable for the adcoms. Having 25+ entries would have been ridiculous, 10-15 is more readable, places emphasis on recent/separated entries, and ensures that your most important ones are noticed vs. lost in a sea of entries.

A hobbies section isn't essential but it does provide a bit of proof that you aren't just a premed machine.

Jeeze will you kids quit fussing??!!

There is a section on the AACOMAS for hobbies.

Just list it like this:

Painting, biking, hiking, reading history, cooking

That's it.

How would you guys list hobbies? For example would you do it like this:

Position title: Hobbies
Organization: don't know what to put here
Description: Hobby #1 (start date)
Hobby #2 (start date)
etc....

Also for the honors and awards section the instruction makes a note to explain awards that occur multiple times. How can we do this? I don't see a description section. Thanks

Jeeze will you kids quit fussing??!!

There is a section on the AACOMAS for hobbies.

Just list it like this:

Painting, biking, hiking, reading history, cooking

That's it.

Perhaps it is me, but there's no section for hobbies on AACOMAS. There's a section named "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service" and another named "Awards, Honors, Scholarships".

I'm assuming hobbies would be listed under the "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service" section.

Perhaps it is me, but there's no section for hobbies on AACOMAS. There's a section named "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service" and another named "Awards, Honors, Scholarships".

I'm assuming hobbies would be listed under the "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service" section.

That's where I put mine.

Most of my hobbies I still do so there is no end date, but I tried to remember when I began them and just estimate a month or put january as the default, for example if you began playing tennis in high school and still continue you could say January 2003 as start and don't put an end date. Your position could say novice tennis player or expert or whatever level you consider your skill.