Hobbies for free time before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts about people traveling before they start medical school, but this is unfortunately not in the cards for me at the moment. So instead, I was wondering what sort of hobbies people took up or indulged during the calm before the med school storm. I'm not a big hobby person at the moment. I spend most of my time doing work for school, reading, or watching TV/movies. So any hobbies or activities people did in their off-time would be interesting to hear about.

By the way, I know there are a lot of threads similar to this, but most end up being 100+ posts about traveling and how to do it without a lot of money. This is a strictly non-traveling thread... so yeah.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! :)

Aside from preparing for med school in college, I dance. I take ballet and jazz classes every Saturday. It used to be two or three times a week back in high school but because my campus now is around 2 hours away from the studio I go too, I can't attened classes more than Saturdays every week.

We also have rehearsals on Sundays sometimes and I attend them, too.

In fact, we'll be having a performance on Sunday in Manila. We'll be flying from where I live to there to perform and I'll be back at university on Tuesday next week.

Dancing is so much fun but it still requires work and time. But I love it so I don't mind. As long as I can still balance my work and have time to study, everything's okay.

I also love it that I can do the things I love even as I study to become a doctor. :D I hope this can give you some ideas! :)

I've seen a lot of posts about people traveling before they start medical school, but this is unfortunately not in the cards for me at the moment. So instead, I was wondering what sort of hobbies people took up or indulged during the calm before the med school storm. I'm not a big hobby person at the moment. I spend most of my time doing work for school, reading, or watching TV/movies. So any hobbies or activities people did in their off-time would be interesting to hear about.

By the way, I know there are a lot of threads similar to this, but most end up being 100+ posts about traveling and how to do it without a lot of money. This is a strictly non-traveling thread... so yeah.

Try to learn a language. I'm trying French while I wait to hear back from schools.:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)

try to hit every bar in ann arbor...or try every beer at Ashleys...

you'll fail, but the effort will be well worth it.

I just signed up for a sculpture class at the Museum of Fine Arts, and I'm going to pick up Chinese calligraphy again, which I had given up when I went to middle school. My mom lives in Hong Kong, so she can mail me ink and brushes and rice paper and templates. I just don't want to forget my first language, plus, it'll make me feel closer to my native culture.

I spend at least 6 hours a week practicing my instrument (private lessons, ensembles, the occasional gig/pit). My last year to invest a lot of time in music before I sign my soul to medicine!

tennis, tennis, and more tennis!! get with a friend, find a court, and let the games begin:D

Eating food and gaining weight is a great hobby. Sure it's unconventional and probably not a good idea, but it's a great way to pass the time.

Piano! I would suggest learning an instrument before med. school starts (much easier to go through the hardest, first lessons before med school starts). You can then continue lessons or just learning on your own. It's a wonderful release for yourself (I take piano breaks from studying on late nights) and a way to share with others too.

Also, regular exercise and a fitness program is great!

try to hit every bar in ann arbor...or try every beer at Ashleys...

you'll fail, but the effort will be well worth it.
Ella, dancing would probably be fun. Maybe I'll look around for some adult studios.

Diesel, I guess I could brush up on my spanish. It'd probably be helpful. I'll look for some sort of medical spanish book next time I'm at Borders. Thanks!

maestro, I'm commuting, so it wouldn't be safe to try all those bars/beers and then drive home. :( But that would be fun!

Aynsl, my native culture is... well, I'm part Russian, German, and British. Nothing special there. Haha. But that's really cool that you are keeping in touch with your roots.

Musicienne, I can't play any instruments. I was unfairly turned away in elementary school from what I wanted to play and ended up quitting what I chose as a result by the end of the year. I always wanted to learn piano but I don't have a piano to practice on.

musty, tennis is pretty fun, you're right. I'm more into racquetball I think, so I'm waiting for my brother to get home from school so we can play over break. After that I'll have to look for a different partner I guess.

ymn, as a future doctor, your health-conscious suggestions are always appreciated! Hahaha

I play paintball...and no not in the woods. Real tournaments. Lots of adrenaline rushes...
I heard paintball hurts if they hit you. I'm a wuss. Haha

The Doctor, I mentioned in my previous post that I want to learn piano, but as I said, no piano to practice on. Plus I think lessons are too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't SDN enough of a hobby already? Go for that elusive 10,000 post count!

Besides World of Warcraft?? :p

I enjoyed the outdoors, did some pleasure reading, searched for apartments (I'm at school in my hometown, so I had awhile to do this). I also packed up my entire childhood room. I wish I had learned to cook, though.

Hey doinmybest,

Sorry to hear that about a lack of a piano (I can definitely sympathize as I spent the past four years in a dorm room and am now living in an apartment which is definitely not piano friendly - not to mention a piano is out of my budget). My solution was to get a digital, weighted keyboard (you can find some of the cheaper models to learn on for a couple hundred bucks - much the same as any other instrument). As long as it is weighted and touch sensitive, a keyboard can be a suitable replacement. This keyboard can get you by for fingerwork, and then you could visit a local college/university/church and use their pianos to polish pieces (that's what I do). As for lessons, you can ask around in your community (I normally ask thru churches and their music programs). School music departments tend to be expensive, but sometimes individuals in the community have very cheap rates or will trade lessons for work around the house. Going to lessons every other week also helps to save money and gives you more time to practice, and you can download most all of the classical repertoire off the internet. If it is really something you've wanted to do all your life, then I say go for it! You can never get these years of practice back later on (I too was a somewhat late starter and have loved it). Good luck with whatever hobby you decide on!

Eating food and gaining weight is a great hobby. Sure it's unconventional and probably not a good idea, but it's a great way to pass the time.

Unfortunately, 80% of America disagrees with you about the unconventional part :p

surfing.

you won't regret it.
The only surfing I can do in Michigan is on the internet. I'd love to learn how to really surf, but the Great Lakes are not so great when you want to surf.

Thanks for the pointers, The Doctor. I'll definitely poke around town and see where I can find some cheap keyboards and/or lessons once I have a job to pay for both.

I'll be doing digital portraiture and elliciting what will eventually be acceptable noises from my guitar. That's the plan, anyway. The plan also calls for me to write a comic book, but that's what the portraiture is for. :p

Do something you've always wanted to do but never had the time to!

Things I've always wanted to do but never had the time to... hmm. Everything I've always wanted to do is too expensive and/or "unsafe" (according to my parents). I guess I'll have to think of new things I want to do.

Paint! Sketch! Actually go somewhere and find something beautiful or interesting or weird, and try to capture it on paper. (Works much better when you're looking at what you're trying to draw. Most people who think they're bad artists haven't really tried this.)

When I have free time I usually draw scenes and/or people, depending on how interesting the scene is and whether or not I can convince a friend to sit still for a minute. If the sky's really pretty, I like to bring out water colors and brushed and try to capture the colors before they change, which can be more of a challenge than you might think. There's no time for perfectionism when the sun is setting! Anyway, all you really need is a few pencils and some paper, and maybe a thin or thick sharpie. I like to work in a sketchbook because it's so portable, but if you want to use paint you should probably get a few separate sheets for that so they can dry afterward. Colored pencils can be nice to have around if you want to add color to your sketches, and charcoal is interesting to work with for a change of pace.

On another note, if you don't like drawing/painting you could always try sculpting things with clay. I haven't done that in forever, but it's really fun :D

Paint! Sketch! Actually go somewhere and find something beautiful or interesting or weird, and try to capture it on paper. (Works much better when you're looking at what you're trying to draw. Most people who think they're bad artists haven't really tried this.)

When I have free time I usually draw scenes and/or people, depending on how interesting the scene is and whether or not I can convince a friend to sit still for a minute. If the sky's really pretty, I like to bring out water colors and brushed and try to capture the colors before they change, which can be more of a challenge than you might think. There's no time for perfectionism when the sun is setting! Anyway, all you really need is a few pencils and some paper, and maybe a thin or thick sharpie. I like to work in a sketchbook because it's so portable, but if you want to use paint you should probably get a few separate sheets for that so they can dry afterward. Colored pencils can be nice to have around if you want to add color to your sketches, and charcoal is interesting to work with for a change of pace.

On another note, if you don't like drawing/painting you could always try sculpting things with clay. I haven't done that in forever, but it's really fun :D
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can't stress enough how relaxing this can be. Even just taking one of those tiny moleskin notebooks around is, for me anyway, a great way to de-stress.

Too dangerous, eh? Well, how about something you were curious about?