Hofstra vs Jeff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringphysiciann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! So I loved BOTH of these schools on my interview days. I am mostly leaning towards Hofstra but I really hate turning down Philly to live in new hempstead. I also loved the student bodies at both schools.

Hofstra
+ LOVE the PEARLS/PBL based curriculum
+ more competitive class stats
+ Northwell Health system (connections in a healthcare system I see myself practicing in one day)
+ Feinstein/Cold Spring Harbor (would like to pursue research/top 6th percentile in NIH funding)
+ smaller class size

- newer and less established (this is minor considering it is quickly rising in reputation)

UPDATE: offered 10k/year scholarship

Jeff
+ in Philly
+ new curriculum
+ more established

- large class size
- less competitive class stats

I cant seem to gauge, however, which school is the "better" one. I would guess that it would be Hofstra but then again, US News ranks Jeff at 50. Wanted to hear your opinions!

Goals: academic/research in oncology, neurology, or neurosurgery in NYC residency

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What does "competitive class" mean? Are you talking about atmosphere of the school? If so, I wouldn't think a competitive environment is a positive thing, but maybe you thrive with a little healthy competition...

What does "competitive class" mean? Are you talking about atmosphere of the school? If so, I wouldn't think a competitive environment is a positive thing, but maybe you thrive with a little healthy competition...

I mean the stats of the entering class. I also do not like a competitive environment and I don't think either of these schools have that

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Go where you'd be happiest. Hofstra's academic advantages over Jeff aren't enough to outweigh location if you're a big city person, and Jeff has the best location of the Philly schools.

I chose Hofstra and do not, one bit, regret my decision. Students here are amazing, curriculum is awesome, and super early clinical exposure is a huge plus. Feel free to PM me if you have questions! I do have exams coming up, so I might be slow to reply

Reactions: 1 user
Jefferson is a stronger school for research and clinical training. Philly's more affordable and there's lot to do. Go Jeff!!

Reactions: 1 users
Jefferson is a stronger school for research and clinical training. Philly's more affordable and there's lot to do. Go Jeff!!
What makes you say that? Hofstra has Northwell and Feinstein/Cold Spring Harbor-- both excellent sites for clinical training and research

Reactions: 1 users
I think Jefferson offers greater research opportunities. Perhaps visit both again and see where you vibe more.

Hi Guys! So I loved BOTH of these schools on my interview days. I am mostly leaning towards Hofstra but I really hate turning down Philly to live in new hempstead. I also loved the student bodies at both schools.

Hofstra
+ LOVE the PEARLS/PBL based curriculum
+ more competitive class stats
+ Northwell Health system (connections in a healthcare system I see myself practicing in one day)
+ Feinstein/Cold Spring Harbor (would like to pursue research/top 6th percentile in NIH funding)
+ smaller class size

- newer and less established (this is minor considering it is quickly rising in reputation)

Jeff
+ in Philly
+ new curriculum
+ more established

- large class size
- less competitive class stats

I cant seem to gauge, however, which school is the "better" one. I would guess that it would be Hofstra but then again, US News ranks Jeff at 50. Wanted to hear your opinions!

Goals: academic/research in oncology, neurology, or neurosurgery in NYC residency

I thought Jeff and Hofstra had very similar stats? I wouldn't say Hofstra is the "better" one. Even if Hofstra has slightly higher avg stats, Jeff is still ranked higher. Either way, it's pretty insignificant IMO - they are both solid mid tier programs. I'd argue they are pretty equal. I'd go with the school you liked better or whichever felt like a better fit.

With the scholarship, definitely go to Hofstra. Seems like you see each school pretty equally, so that would be the easy decision maker for me.

I think I'd lean towards Hofstra just because it seems so even across the board based on your description. But then again, I think reaching out to Hofstra students and gauging the atmosphere a little more would be a good idea, as if you think it is really competitive that could sway it towards Jeff maybe.

I think I'd lean towards Hofstra just because it seems so even across the board based on your description. But then again, I think reaching out to Hofstra students and gauging the atmosphere a little more would be a good idea, as if you think it is really competitive that could sway it towards Jeff maybe.
I dont think that should be a concern, it is unranked P/F first two years and doesnt factor into AOA or anything

Thanks for ur input! When I say competitive i am referring to the stats of admitted students, which isn't really that relevant just something I wanted to point out. I actually love the non-competitive nature of the class at Hofstra so that wouldn't be an issue.